News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Not gonna lie, I am very much enjoying watching Spurs implode after I was mocked on a weekly basis by Zoupa as Arsenal bottled Top 4 this time last year  :lol: 

To dare is to do  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2023, 12:38:31 PMAlthough looking at it Stellini has been part of Conte's coaching staff at every team since 2011 so it's very weird he didn't go with him because I feel like that's the norm.

It can happen. Louis van Gaal brought fellow Dutchman Andries Jonker as AssMan to Bayern Munich; the two had worked together in the past. When van Gaal left, Jonker saw out the season for Munich and then managed Bayern Munich II for another year. Jonker was also assistant manager in Wolfsburg afterwards, first working with Felix Magath and then his successor when Magath was sacked.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Looking at Tottenham's assitant caretaker's ( :P ) schedule - he has ManUtd and Liverpool coming up bnext. I'm sure he's thrilled. :D OTOH, at this point I guess he might go into it, thinking, "Can't get any worse, so fuck it."  :bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 25, 2023, 12:36:55 AMLooking at Tottenham's assitant caretaker's ( :P ) schedule - he has ManUtd and Liverpool coming up bnext. I'm sure he's thrilled. :D OTOH, at this point I guess he might go into it, thinking, "Can't get any worse, so fuck it."  :bowler:
Only losing 2-0= success.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Apparently spurs are so embarrassed they're offering  refunds?  :lmfao:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Remember that year when the Spurs almost won the league but Leicester got to play the season on easy mode?  That's gotta hurt.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2023, 02:25:01 PMRemember that year when the Spurs almost won the league but Leicester got to play the season on easy mode?  That's gotta hurt.
easy mode?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2023, 06:08:20 PMI would like it noted for the record that Ryan Reynolds is Canadian in case things go to shit at Wrexham.  :D

I've watched a few Wrexham videos on Youtube so now of course I keep getting more in my recommended feeds.

It's still a cool and interesting story, but some of the NAm coverage was a little over the top.  One called it a "Fairytale story" or "dreams come true".

Come on - two rich Americans bought a low level team, paid way higher salaries than anyone else in their league, and managed to win promotion.  This is not exactly a surprising result.

I mean when their goalkeeper went down they managed to convince retired keeper Ben Foster to come finish the season out.  As I understand it Foster was a former EPL player, 5 leagues above where Wrexham plays.  They were able to do it because being associated with Wrexham (and Reynolds) would be good for his online brand. 

No other team in that league had those kind of advantages.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Yep. Wrexham are pretty hated by other non league fans.
It's quite a rising trend for rich people to buy non league teams and push them up the leagues, leaving those who have been slowly progressing through hard work in the dust.

Forest Green are a particularly bizzare one which on the surface seem nice but scratch beneath and it's shifty AF.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Football is all about who can pay more for wins. Don't know why wrexham would get shame for something that been going on for decades if not over a century*

*at a much lower cost
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: Josquius on April 25, 2023, 02:27:30 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2023, 02:25:01 PMRemember that year when the Spurs almost won the league but Leicester got to play the season on easy mode?  That's gotta hurt.
easy mode?
It sure seamed like it that year...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Oh no :o

What's bad about them? I thought they were all vegan burgers and trying to build a wooden stadium etc. Asking becaue I feel semi-invested since they've hired Duncan Ferguson as their manager :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2023, 02:35:37 PMFootball is all about who can pay more for wins. Don't know why wrexham would get shame for something that been going on for decades if not over a century*

*at a much lower cost
Same reason Newcastle and Man City do, Chelsea did before them etc etc. It's not shame so much as all other fans hating your more. Plus it's just a sign of globalisation I suppose spreading even to non-league that we've moved from clubs being owned by local businessmen for bragging rights to American sports franchises, Gulf sovereign wealth funds, Russian oligarchs and now celebrities.

FWIW I see a lot of respect for them as owners from other football fans - they always seem to show respect to other teams. They're seen as model owners - you'd just hate to be in the same league.

And in fairness in the league below Wrexham you've got AFC Fylde who are also hated for similar reasons. They're owned and bankrolled by an animal feed magnate who built them a very good stadium for the league, spends a lot on transfers etc (especially raiding Scotland) but also, for example, put huge pro-Brexit and pro-UKIP signs on the stadium during election season :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on April 25, 2023, 02:33:26 PMYep. Wrexham are pretty hated by other non league fans.
It's quite a rising trend for rich people to buy non league teams and push them up the leagues, leaving those who have been slowly progressing through hard work in the dust.

Forest Green are a particularly bizzare one which on the surface seem nice but scratch beneath and it's shifty AF.

I'm quite into non-league football and have not come across this. There's some jealousy sure but nothing more than that. Not heard any issues with FGR either.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2023, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2023, 06:08:20 PMI would like it noted for the record that Ryan Reynolds is Canadian in case things go to shit at Wrexham.  :D
two rich Americans

:glare: