News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on April 16, 2023, 11:12:21 AMCity do look to perhaps have a better fixture list ahead.
Fingers crossed for arsenal though. It's been long enough they'd semi count as someone new winning.
Still hoping for the city arsenal game as a decider

Can't see Arsenal getting anything at City in this form and with some key players out. It's done.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Tight race to avoid relegation

FunkMonk

Looks like Chelsea failed to snag their top target:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1649422319712911360?s=20

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: Julian Nagelsmann has now withdrawn from the race to become the new Chelsea head coach — it looks like it's his final decision. 🚨🔵 #CFC

German coach is said to be no longer available after multiple round of talks.

Nagelsmann was top candidate for the job.

Tamas

No major coach will take that no-European-football-next-year dumpster fire. What a mess.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2023, 09:54:30 AMNo major coach will take that no-European-football-next-year dumpster fire. What a mess.

Leaving my hate for Chelsea aside, the next few years look rough for you lot. Terrible executive management, too many players on too huge contracts, no CL football... Yikes. My condolences. It's where Arsenal was six years ago.

FunkMonk

Arsenal had a third draw in a row. This time, instead of going 2-0 up and letting the other team in, they went 3-1 down and had to claw a point back right at the end. The annual April Arsenal collapse is right on schedule, right when City are looking better and better every game :bleeding:

Tamas

I have to say that after months of Arsenal fans talking like their title was a done deal, this is somewhat satisfying. :P

FunkMonk

Eh, most fans I know haven't taken the title for granted. I think most of us knew we had like a 50-50 chance, at best, against this Manchester City machine, and it looks like we've let our chance go by.  :(

Klopp built the greatest Liverpool team since the 80s and still only won the PL once, only because Pep had one bad, unlucky season. This is Manchester City's/UAE's league and we're all just living in it.

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on April 22, 2023, 07:42:17 AMI have to say that after months of Arsenal fans talking like their title was a done deal, this is somewhat satisfying. :P

It would be, if it wasn't fucking Man City that's gonna take it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Does it speak badly of me that I got really into AFC Wrexham this past year?

I mean it's totally, 100% bandwagonning.  I'd never even heard of the team a year ago.  I'd never given two farts about the National League.

But watching fictional Ted Lasso, then the Welcome to Wrexham documentary, I've been following how Wrexham was doing, watching highlights, and now today they secured first place and promotion, and it pleases me.

To be a soccer snob if asked I would always say my favourite "football" team was EC Bahia in the Brazilian league - my brother's wife is from Salvador, I thought the "kit" looked sharp when I went there for their wedding, and took it from there.  But although every once in a while 'd check out the Brazilian league standings, I can't say I really ever cared how they were doing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I do wonder when we will see other lower league teams with tv shows. Seems to have been a hit for Disney and suits Wrexham of course.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on April 22, 2023, 03:46:05 PMI do wonder when we will see other lower league teams with tv shows. Seems to have been a hit for Disney and suits Wrexham of course.

Without a Hollywood connection I can't see why you would.

Welcome to Wrexham was a good show, by the way, for anyone with a Disney+ account.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2023, 03:23:56 PMDoes it speak badly of me that I got really into AFC Wrexham this past year?

I mean it's totally, 100% bandwagonning.  I'd never even heard of the team a year ago.  I'd never given two farts about the National League.

But watching fictional Ted Lasso, then the Welcome to Wrexham documentary, I've been following how Wrexham was doing, watching highlights, and now today they secured first place and promotion, and it pleases me.

To be a soccer snob if asked I would always say my favourite "football" team was EC Bahia in the Brazilian league - my brother's wife is from Salvador, I thought the "kit" looked sharp when I went there for their wedding, and took it from there.  But although every once in a while 'd check out the Brazilian league standings, I can't say I really ever cared how they were doing.

No it doesn't look bad. I am way too into following their road too. I really like lower leagues games in almost all sports but it is much more interesting in soccer.

Perfect soccer is a snooze fest. Imperfect soccer is fun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I've yet to watch Wrexham (though I like Rob McElhenny and Ryan Reynolds in general), but normally I'm not a fan of "rich folk take over crap club, pour loads pf money into it to make it competitive" - see Hoffenheim, or Red Bull's clubs in Leipzig and Salzburg (with Salzuburg more or less acting as farm team for Leipzig).

But after watching this video which puts it a bit into perspective, I might go and check it out.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I know that Austrian clubs tend to have more sponsors on their kits than others, but I think TSV Hartberg might take the cake. :lol: :bleeding:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.