News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on February 15, 2023, 11:16:38 AMIs the Brighton stadium in the middle of nowhere?

Sort of. It's right next to a university halls of residence and has a train station but not much else. Takes a 15-20 min train journey from Brighton to get there. Nice stadium though. Was one of my favourite away days when my team were in the same league as them.

Brighton had all kinds of trouble getting a new stadium after they were forced to sell their old one (which was a shithole from what I remember form my one visit there) for redevelopment to clear debts and were in division 4 (managed to avoid non-league on the last day of the season). They then had to groundshare with Gillingham (which is miles away) then shared a non-league stadium with a capacity of less than 1,500 for a few years while they tried to get planning permission for the Amex. 

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on February 15, 2023, 11:41:42 AMIt's also curious that the two next stadiums in terms of "isolation" are from two London clubs, Fulham and Brentford. I always assumed that London clubs were more "in the thick of it", so to speak.

Neither are at all isolated (though Fulham's is bordered by a park on one side and the river on another and is largely residential on the other sides). They just don't have a fish and chip shop that close, apparently.

Fulham is another great away day. Wonderful, historic stadium. Haven't been to Brentford's new place since they moved. The old one was famous for having a pub on every corner of the ground.

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on February 15, 2023, 11:49:06 AMNeither are at all isolated (though Fulham's is bordered by a park on one side and the river on another and is largely residential on the other sides). They just don't have a fish and chip shop that close, apparently.

Yeah, maybe the fish & chip metric is not that precise.  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 15, 2023, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: Gups on February 15, 2023, 11:49:06 AMNeither are at all isolated (though Fulham's is bordered by a park on one side and the river on another and is largely residential on the other sides). They just don't have a fish and chip shop that close, apparently.

Well, I find his "2 minutes to get out of/into stadium" a bit optimistic - hard to imagine you can get from your seat to the exit in 2 minutes reliably, especially at the half time mark when everyone heads to the food/drink stalls, bathrooms etc. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Do fodbol stadiums have any on site food?

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 15, 2023, 12:07:05 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 15, 2023, 11:50:21 AM

Well, I find his "2 minutes to get out of/into stadium" a bit optimistic - hard to imagine you can get from your seat to the exit in 2 minutes reliably, especially at the half time mark when everyone heads to the food/drink stalls, bathrooms etc. :P

Yeah, that's also wildly optimistic. In larger stadiums it will take you much more than that just to get out of your part of the stands, let alone being out of the gate by then.

And anyway, I thought that it was meat pies what people normally had at half time in English stadiums, not fish & chips.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Refreshing to see a UEFA investigation place the blame on UEFA.

But will there any consequences beyond "oh we are sorry" and "we promise to do better next time"?

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2023, 09:23:41 PMRefreshing to see a UEFA investigation place the blame on UEFA.

But will there any consequences beyond "oh we are sorry" and "we promise to do better next time"?

UEFA fines UEFA?
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Apparently Qatar are on the verge of acquiring Manchester United

https://twitter.com/Qatari/status/1626257324128993281?t=Sq5u7ZTTCFZQu8JsRbr4XQ&s=19

QuoteAfter the intransigence of Liverpool's owners and their refusal to give a percentage exceeding 49% (a controlling percentage in which decision-making takes place), the compass changed completely for Manchester United, very simple steps to announce the acquisition of United

I thought there was a UEFA rule that you can't own more than one club but I guess the Qataris know the rules don't apply to them.  :yuk:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Shouldn't have disapproved of the Super League.

Reap what you sowed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

"... the intransigence of Liverpool's owners and their refusal to give a percentage exceeding 49%"?

Was Qatar somehow under the impression that Liverpool's owners are obligated to give up control of the team?

Sheilbh

Here's to hoping Qatar and other sports-washing petrostates have to get used to such intransigence as people saying "no".

I don't have much hope for that, mind :(
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

I think they firmly believe they can do anything they want after the success of the World Cup. And they're probably right.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 16, 2023, 12:22:58 PMI think they firmly believe they can do anything they want after the success of the World Cup. And they're probably right.

Was it a success? Seems like it sucked to me.

Which of the previous World Cups wasn't a success? Is just successfully enabling each game to be played peacefully all it takes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."