And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 11:20:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2023, 04:48:38 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 04:19:19 AMWith the amount of money flying around, it is ought to be. Or are Brits inherently more virtuous than UEFA/FIFA officials?

Judging by the government's corruption scandals, they might be more amateur but not inherently better.

British official don't hand out a huge cash prize like the World Cup.

But as this scandal shows they have power and oversight over immense amounts of money changing hands inside and between clubs.

This is a very strange position you are taking. That the enforcement of rules against a rich club shows that there is lost of money in English football (like we didn't know that already) and therefore demonstrates that there must be bribes elsewhere. By the same token  custodial sentences for white collar crime must demonstrate corruption in the criminal law system and fines for breaches of competition law show that regulators are corrupt etc.

Jacob

Tamas has that thing going that is common in people raised in corrupt societies - the belief that everywhere is as corrupt as where he comes from, only they're better at hiding it.

celedhring

Also, in the end the PL is managed by the member clubs. Trying to use bribes to obtain a competitive advantage against those same clubs would have short legs.

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2023, 12:57:35 PMTamas has that thing going that is common in people raised in corrupt societies - the belief that everywhere is as corrupt as where he comes from, only they're better at hiding it.

He does have a point, imho.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on February 07, 2023, 04:28:45 PMHe does have a point, imho.

Different places have differing levels of corruption.

Sheilbh

Maybe but as Gups says it seems like people not being investigated is evidence of corruption and they've just paid enough to cover things up; rules being enforced/investigations is evidence of both the actual thing being investigated and corruption for not paying enough to cover it up.

It feels like with that approach everything is evidence of corruption.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

No. Everywhere is not as corrupt as Hungary.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 11:20:40 AMBut as this scandal shows they have power and oversight over immense amounts of money changing hands inside and between clubs.

How many documented cases of bribery can you think of in which a bribe was paid money in exchange for the privilege of giving away more money?

The Larch

Jakub Jankto, a 27 yo Czech international midfielder playing for Sparta Prague, has just come out as gay. I believe he's the first active, top level footballer to do so in Europe.

Josquius

Good for him.

I do hear Prague is pretty popular with gay folks from parts east.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Is the Brighton stadium in the middle of nowhere?

Sheilbh

Basically, yes.

It's an out of town stadium - but right next to the A road with a nearby train station so I think actually pretty well connected. I think it was built in the 90s/2000s when I think there was a bit of a trend for that sort of stadium development.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2023, 11:22:43 AMIt's an out of town stadium - but right next to the A road with a nearby train station so I think actually pretty well connected. I think it was built in the 90s/2000s when I think there was a bit of a trend for that sort of stadium development.

Is there more city near there, or did you build a train station in the middle of nowhere to go with your stadium in the middle of nowhere :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

It's also curious that the two next stadiums in terms of "isolation" are from two London clubs, Fulham and Brentford. I always assumed that London clubs were more "in the thick of it", so to speak.