News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Sadly being an Everton fan we've had to learn a lot about the sustainability rules as we have been very, very close to breaking them :bleeding:

And as it's assessed over a three year period so we just need to work through all of the consequences of our bad decisions before making new, somehow worse, ones :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2023, 04:11:54 PMChildren, this is what happens when you don't pay the expected bribes and think you can get away with it.

Do you think bribery is a big thing in British football?

FunkMonk

Part of this has to be telling the Saudis to behave and to be above board with Newcastle. Which is also why I think City's punishment will ultimately be pretty severe. The league can't lose face here.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Gups

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2023, 06:58:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2023, 04:11:54 PMChildren, this is what happens when you don't pay the expected bribes and think you can get away with it.

If it is they've done a great job with the cover up. I can't think of a bribery scandal in English football in my lifetime.

Gups

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 06, 2023, 07:11:20 PMPart of this has to be telling the Saudis to behave and to be above board with Newcastle. Which is also why I think City's punishment will ultimately be pretty severe. The league can't lose face here.

The inquiry started way before the takeover of Newcastle

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on February 07, 2023, 01:04:00 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 06, 2023, 07:11:20 PMPart of this has to be telling the Saudis to behave and to be above board with Newcastle. Which is also why I think City's punishment will ultimately be pretty severe. The league can't lose face here.

Though the Newcastle take over has been pretty much an eventual inevitability for some years now. Not necessarily with Newcastle but its been clear things were just going to become ever more bloated and if the small gulf states were involved the Saudis would want in too.

Fingers crossed we actually do see some enforcement worthy of the name. Not just speaking out of a hate for Newcastle Utd (though there is a comedic element there) but for what's best for football.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2023, 06:58:27 PM

With the amount of money flying around, it is ought to be. Or are Brits inherently more virtuous than UEFA/FIFA officials?

Judging by the government's corruption scandals, they might be more amateur but not inherently better.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 04:19:19 AMWith the amount of money flying around, it is ought to be. Or are Brits inherently more virtuous than UEFA/FIFA officials?

Judging by the government's corruption scandals, they might be more amateur but not inherently better.

British official don't hand out a huge cash prize like the World Cup.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 03:46:46 AM
Quote from: Gups on February 07, 2023, 01:04:00 AM

Though the Newcastle take over has been pretty much an eventual inevitability for some years now. Not necessarily with Newcastle but its been clear things were just going to become ever more bloated and if the small gulf states were involved the Saudis would want in too.

Fingers crossed we actually do see some enforcement worthy of the name. Not just speaking out of a hate for Newcastle Utd (though there is a comedic element there) but for what's best for football.

I think the inquiry was started and completed because Man City have been cheating. Depending on the outcome and punishment, it will hopefully have a significant deterrent effect but I doubt that it is specifically aimed at nation states. After all, Chelesea aren't owned by a nation state and outspent the French, German, Italian and Spanish leagues put together over the last two transfer windows. Newcastle's net spend since the takeover has been fairly high but comparable with many other Prem clubs including Wolves, Forest and Southampton. Early days of course.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2023, 04:48:38 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2023, 04:19:19 AMWith the amount of money flying around, it is ought to be. Or are Brits inherently more virtuous than UEFA/FIFA officials?

Also, the Premiership is owned and run by 20 businesses not a group of career sports administrators.

FunkMonk

To be perfectly honest, I'd love to see the PL destroy City but I'll settle for a 15-point deduction just for this season.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2023, 08:08:08 AMTo be perfectly honest, I'd love to see the PL destroy City but I'll settle for a 15-point deduction just for this season.
No. Next season please. Let them lose 2 in a row. Let Arsenal actually win (or lose) unquestionably off their own merit.
And some actual functional financial punishments- lets have a summer sell off and mid-table mundanity next year.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 08:17:04 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2023, 08:08:08 AMTo be perfectly honest, I'd love to see the PL destroy City but I'll settle for a 15-point deduction just for this season.
No. Next season please. Let them lose 2 in a row. Let Arsenal actually win (or lose) unquestionably off their own merit.
And some actual functional financial punishments- lets have a summer sell off and mid-table mundanity next year.

I mean, as Gups mentioned, City have been cheating for a decade. Their titles are tainted. The dreaded asterisks by their club name  :P

So I don't really care about whether or not Arsenal win the league "on their own merit". City cannot be allowed to win the league this season. Arsenal may well do it without the league docking City points but I'd rather not run that risk. I am an Arsenal fan so I am well accustomed to late season collapses.

The league should give them a point deduction immediately and leave further punishment (relegation and transfer bans plz) for longer deliberation, as it is judged by the commission deciding the punishment.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2023, 04:48:38 AM

But as this scandal shows they have power and oversight over immense amounts of money changing hands inside and between clubs.

FunkMonk

If there is corruption British football it definitely involves the referees because some of this officiating is a DISGRACE