And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm with Zoupa.  No class display.

Jacob

I don't expect class act behavior from football players off the pitch, and I komd of like it like that. As long as they aren't racists, violent abusers, or otherwise terrible I'm good. Taking the piss or being a bit uncouth  is perfectly fine.

I care more about sportsmanship on the pitch, though.

Admiral Yi

Athletes are role models.  Kids imitate their behavior.  I'd prefer a society in which you shake your opponents hand and say good game after you beat them than one in which you woof and piss on them.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2022, 07:40:09 PMI mean he's also the guy who did this on the podium Sunday:

:lol:

And got carded for kicking the ball away and fucking with the opposition during the shoot out.

He seems an absolute cunt who would be a nightmare to know in real life.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on December 21, 2022, 06:45:37 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2022, 07:40:09 PMI mean he's also the guy who did this on the podium Sunday:

:lol:

And got carded for kicking the ball away and fucking with the opposition during the shoot out.

During a penalty shootout I'd put that down to gamesmanship, mind games or whatever you want to call it.

QuoteHe seems an absolute cunt who would be a nightmare to know in real life.

Why? Because he gets carried away when celebrating the biggest success of his career? Come on.

celedhring

A reasonable amount of shithousery is the spice that makes football great, imho.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2022, 08:00:43 AMA reasonable amount of shithousery is the spice that makes football great, imho.
Yeah - I agree :ph34r:

Although I think it's a little weird for a goalkeeper to drag Mbppe given he didn't stop him getting a hat-trick :hmm: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

I love the shithousery in football but I think, in general, it turns a lot of Americans off the sport.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 21, 2022, 09:50:23 AMI love the shithousery in football but I think, in general, it turns a lot of Americans off the sport.

If Jordan had fans during his hay day then Americans can handle soccer player egos/asshatery :P

I'm the opposite  of jake, I can forgive most of the on field stuff and blame it on adrenaline or being in the moment. Off-field stuff takes some planing. I mean in this case he bought a doll, printed out a face, and taped it on. It was a multi step process and not once did he think it might be over the top.

I think it also depends on who one supports.  If Argentina lost and pepe carried around a lifesized* Messi baby doll people would take it differently.

*because Messi's  tiny :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2022, 11:34:14 AMIf Jordan had fans during his hay day then Americans can handle soccer player egos/asshatery :P

What kinds of things are you talking about?  I can't think of times when he mocked opposing players after beating them.  And I certainly never saw him bailing hay.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2022, 10:08:46 PMAthletes are role models.  Kids imitate their behavior.  I'd prefer a society in which you shake your opponents hand and say good game after you beat them than one in which you woof and piss on them.

This, by the way, is what makes hockey awesome.  Hockey players can beat the ever-loving shit out of each other in a seven game series, then line up and shake hands once it's over.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2022, 11:34:14 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 21, 2022, 09:50:23 AMI love the shithousery in football but I think, in general, it turns a lot of Americans off the sport.

If Jordan had fans during his hay day then Americans can handle soccer player egos/asshatery :P

I'm the opposite  of jake, I can forgive most of the on field stuff and blame it on adrenaline or being in the moment. Off-field stuff takes some planing. I mean in this case he bought a doll, printed out a face, and taped it on. It was a multi step process and not once did he think it might be over the top.

I think it also depends on who one supports.  If Argentina lost and pepe carried around a lifesized* Messi baby doll people would take it differently.

*because Messi's  tiny :P

Largely agreed.
Though even on field I'd differentiate between spur of the moment split second decisions and gamesmanship.
Everyone loses their cool and acts inappropriately sometimes. This guy is a cunt.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2022, 12:33:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2022, 11:34:14 AMIf Jordan had fans during his hay day then Americans can handle soccer player egos/asshatery :P

What kinds of things are you talking about?  I can't think of times when he mocked opposing players after beating them.  And I certainly never saw him bailing hay.  :P

Maybe I know too much about his personality now and I'm projecting backwards :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Adeus, Rei. :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64125254

Pelé is no more, quite predictably, given the last few days.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 30, 2022, 07:53:14 AMAdeus, Rei. :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64125254

Pelé is no more, quite predictably, given the last few days.

QuoteBrazil's government has declared three days of national mourning.

A country with its priorities straight :lol: :(
██████
██████
██████