News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Notice I very strategically did not post in this match. You guys are making me superstitious  :lol:  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2022, 05:57:23 PMNotice I very strategically did not post in this match. You guys are making me superstitious  :lol:  :ph34r:

A brilliant effort, yet not enough.

Zoupa

Argentina being super dignified in victory

The Larch

Salty much?  :P

The guys are celebrating, it's not as if they're in an official reception or anything. Besides, it's summer down there.

The Larch

Btw, is there an official team of the tournament? I've only seen individual awards (ecept for England's Fair Play award, that is).

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2022, 05:36:02 PMSalty much?  :P

The guys are celebrating, it's not as if they're in an official reception or anything. Besides, it's summer down there.

I don't care how they're dressed. I'm pointing out that their goalie is holding a baby doll with Mbappé's face taped on.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on December 20, 2022, 05:46:08 PM

I don't care how they're dressed. I'm pointing out that their goalie is holding a baby doll with Mbappé's face taped on.

He spent like 8 years at Arsenal btw  :menace:

Zoupa

Oh he's a good goalie, just seems like an asshole with his antics.

Zoupa

I mean he had to go get the ball from his nets 4 times from mbappe shots in 1 game... Not sure this is the flex he thinks it is.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on December 20, 2022, 06:57:58 PMI mean he had to go get the ball from his nets 4 times from mbappe shots in 1 game... Not sure this is the flex he thinks it is.

Yeah keepers tend to be either really cocky or really crazy and Martinez definitely tends to the former.

And I agree that he isn't really a top goalkeeper. He's good at shot stopping but his distribution isn't great and he tends to have a moment every few games where he basically throws it in his own net. He had a purple patch in his last season at Arsenal where he helped win the FA Cup and then had one good season at Villa but has since been pretty mediocre.

But he is a literal god at penalties and always has been. :pope:

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on December 20, 2022, 05:46:08 PM

Tbh, I didn't really catch that on first sight. In any case, as mentioned, it's sportsmen celebrating, they're not going to be subdued, and definitely Emi Martínez is not going to be subdued.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2022, 07:35:29 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 20, 2022, 06:57:58 PMI mean he had to go get the ball from his nets 4 times from mbappe shots in 1 game... Not sure this is the flex he thinks it is.

Yeah keepers tend to be either really cocky or really crazy and Martinez definitely tends to the former.

And I agree that he isn't really a top goalkeeper. He's good at shot stopping but his distribution isn't great and he tends to have a moment every few games where he basically throws it in his own net. He had a purple patch in his last season at Arsenal where he helped win the FA Cup and then had one good season at Villa but has since been pretty mediocre.

The guy definitely chose the best moment of his career to be in top notch form. I mean, he spent years and years chaining subpar loan after subpar loan, and has only been a regular starter for the last few seasons when he was already pushing 30.

FunkMonk

I mean he's also the guy who did this on the podium Sunday:

:lol:

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2022, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2022, 07:35:29 PM

The guy definitely chose the best moment of his career to be in top notch form. I mean, he spent years and years chaining subpar loan after subpar loan, and has only been a regular starter for the last few seasons when he was already pushing 30.

Oh yeah, definitely. And I've always been a fan of him. I wanted Arsenal to keep him instead of Leno. But there were offers for him and Arsenal couldn't say no or give him the guarantees he wanted.

Some players just turn it on when they're playing for their country and he's one of them, too.