News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

To be honest I think this is just a coincidence but it might turn into a huge story. Idk man. Just feels awful, in any case.

Anyone who followed soccer in the United States in the last 20 years knew who Grant was. He was part of US Soccer furniture. Really helped popularize the game.

This sucks. I feel so bad for his family.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

I think whoever wins France-England tomorrow is winning it all.

celedhring

Argentinians overreacting to football remains one of my favorite social media genres.

https://twitter.com/OoCScaloneta_/status/1601365099603582978

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on December 10, 2022, 02:51:31 AMI think whoever wins France-England tomorrow is winning it all.

Just say you think France will win.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

A France - Croatia repeat final would be pretty epic.

FunkMonk

Good news for the English. Victory is guaranteed now.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/10/uri-geller-vows-to-use-powers-to-stop-mbappe-scoring-against-england-17911647/
QuoteUri Geller vows to 'use powers' to move ball from Mbappe if England clash goes to penalties
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

A Canadian journalist I know who is in Qatar said on Twitter he saw Wahl last on Monday at a presser. Wahl said he wasn't feeling well and was complaining of bronchitis like symptoms.

Just in shock. I was with him in the media centre on Monday. We talked about the long days, no sleep & there wasn't a moment of complaining. He said he was tired, wasn't feeling well & wondered if he had bronchitis. Was looking forward to the offdays to rest. Can't believe it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 10, 2022, 06:46:23 AMGood news for the English. Victory is guaranteed now.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/10/uri-geller-vows-to-use-powers-to-stop-mbappe-scoring-against-england-17911647/
QuoteUri Geller vows to 'use powers' to move ball from Mbappe if England clash goes to penalties

Uri Geller from the "Wait, he's alive" files?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

celedhring

And that's why an English defeat is a moral imperative.

Threviel

Argentina-England would be an epic final. Think about the decades of English moans and tears to follow, glorious.

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on December 10, 2022, 07:40:35 AMArgentina-England would be an epic final. Think about the decades of English moans and tears to follow, glorious.

With a Messi handball or cheating of some kind. I would utterly love it, but that's too big of a risk, rather France wins today.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on December 10, 2022, 08:16:30 AMSay what you you will, but they do good taunting.
I think it's a fairly weak publicity stunt.

Certainly compared to what is, for me, now the gold standard of projecting something onto a building (weirdly common here :huh:) is the Star projecting Liz the Lettuce onto parliament :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 09, 2022, 11:55:53 AMThis World Cup sucks a lot of assholes to be honest. I just want the premier league to restart so I can watch good football again.

I respectfully disagree. I think it's been quite good. Far better than the last one.
We had very exciting third legs of the first round.
We had upsets.We had comebacks.
We had teams like Morocco winning their group ahead of favourites like Belgium and Croatia.
We had parity.
It's going on the semi finals and traditional powerhouses have been sent packing.
There's no clear cut favourite.

Overall it's been an unpredictable, exciting world cup.

The only drawback is the time of year. People arent' gathering in outside patios and bars to watch games, and the general, non-hardcore fan, interest is lacking.

Civis Romanus Sum