News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 09, 2022, 04:52:00 PMThey experimented with silver/golden goals in the 1990s and it didn't really work out. Teams were even more terrified of conceding.

It was even more unfair, actually, IMO.

QuotePenalties are always great drama (even if I'm still hurting for the last ones  <_< )

No question about that.

Valmy

Oooooh. The Dutch are still in it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Here we go. One shot to win it Argentina.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Will Argentina throw a *second* 2-0 lead?  :lol:

Threviel

Valmy

And there it is. Fly home safely Dutch.

Duque de Bragança

A bit more suspense in this penalty session. :)

Good for Croatia, again.

celedhring

Happy for Leo - a big World Cup moment is the one thing missing in his resume. Still remember how he missed a sitter in the 2014 final when it was 0-0.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on December 09, 2022, 04:52:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 09, 2022, 04:48:01 PMUgh. Penalties again.  Anyway to get rid of these? Especially the final. 30 minute Silver goal and then suden death no clock. 

They experimented with silver/golden goals in the 1990s and it didn't really work out. Teams were even more terrified of conceding.

Penalties are always great drama (even if I'm still hurting for the last ones  <_< )

Then draw straws :D . Still drama. At least in this game they kept trying until the end.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Oh well. The penalties curse strikes again.

Grey Fox

<_<

Fuck you, gods of football.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: HVCThen draw straws :D

Endurance jump rope

FunkMonk

A prominent (arguably the biggest and most well known) and longtime soccer journalist in the United States, Grant Wahl, has just died in Doha.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 09, 2022, 09:43:17 PMA prominent (arguably the biggest and most well known) and longtime soccer journalist in the United States, Grant Wahl, has just died in Doha.  :(

Wahl's brother seems to believe that foul play could have been involved, as he had clashed with the tournament's organization. He was actually detained for wearing a rainbow flag to one of the matches and his last article was on the death of a migrant worker during the tournament. Apparently he collapsed during the Argentina - Netherlands game and died at the hospital he was taken to.

OttoVonBismarck

It'd be a very crazy risk for Qatar, the United States basically is responsible for their defense and it's a tiny country in a sometimes hostile region. He apparently was sick on a podcast a couple days ago, too.