News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on November 29, 2022, 05:02:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 04:16:51 PMOk Holland, if you win you get New Amsterdam back.

You can have Belgium if you win.

I do like waffles  :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

USA played quite well and should have scored more. Like Gups said, the main thing holding this team back is lacking that edge to put the ball in the net. Squad is crying out for a true goal scorer.

This squad also has some very poor players. Moore and Wright were absolutely terrible when they came on and probably did more to help the Iranians in the final minutes  :lol:

I haven't watched the Netherlands so I can't speak to the next round. I've heard that they are frauds so I guess we'll see on Saturday how fraudulent the Dutch are.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Getting out of group has already exceeded my expectations.

It was a pretty weak group, yeah?

US looks undersized.

FunkMonk

I'll add that Matt Turner is Arsenal's backup keeper and he's been almost flawless in the World Cup so far. Man didn't start playing football until 14 and just moved from MLS to Europe this season. Very happy for him.  :showoff:

HVC

Goalie seems like the only position you can start playing late.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

I'm happy my randomly adopted team of Senegal is moving onto the Round of 16. I would absolutely *love* to see them knock out England.  :menace:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

I'm seeing that Pulisic is out for the tourney.

Sophie Scholl

Is he? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. 3 hours a ago it was him declaring he would play, 2 hours ago was he was cleared to play, and 1 hour ago it was a day to day decision. It's like a Bill Belichik injury report.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2022, 06:20:30 PMGoalie seems like the only position you can start playing late.

Holy shit. Is 14 late? Did I doom my son by not starting him playing Soccer until 10?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 09:14:38 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2022, 06:20:30 PMGoalie seems like the only position you can start playing late.

Holy shit. Is 14 late? Did I doom my son by not starting him playing Soccer until 10?

Doom!!!!

:P

Professional soccer players all seem to start really young, like 7-8. At 14 is when they join academies

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Barça's academy has a team for 6 year olds  :P

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 30, 2022, 12:45:06 AMBarça's academy has a team for 6 year olds  :P

Which I'd say is a bit overkill.  :P

celedhring

I remember talk during the Guardiola years of setting up a team for 5-year-olds, even  :lol:

It's a bit nonsense. I think 90% of the prospects that make it to our senior team were recruited after their 10th birthday.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 09:14:38 PM

At least you didn't have to pay the outrageous fees for youth soccer until much later than those that started playing their kids at age 5 or 6.

Duque de Bragança

FYI, France B vs Tunisia in 20 minutes.  :frog: