Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2022, 01:27:41 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 29, 2022, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 12:00:47 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 29, 2022, 11:19:20 AMSurprise, surprise ! Netherlands 2 Qatar 0
Still 30 minutes to play.

And people give us shit for hosting in 1994.

Shockingly (not shockingly) Qatar is the shittiest host of all time. At least South Africa did itself proud despite not advancing.

Fixed!  :P

Don't worry, the whataboutist brigade is still using WC USA 1994 as an example, along with the USA North American 2026 tournament as countries with no football culture to speak of (save Mexico).

PS: to be fair, I think I remember people around 2002 or before using that kind of line vs Japan (Ségolènes? of a special kind) or Korea.

Because I'm old enough to remember 1994... soccer in North America (excluding Mexico) is in a totally different place in 2022 compared to 1994.  Canada/US has a thriving professional league, which did not exist in 1994.  US national team has performed quite well, regularly qualifying for the WC and advancing several times in the last 30 years.  Canada might be the weakest link, but even there we now have our own national league and our men's team qualified for the WC this year without any host country guarantee.

I agree, but with that whataboutist crowd, even pointing out that the US was actually part of the first tournament in 1930, the 1950 upset vs England etc., qualifying first without organising the tournament, MLS getting better and learning the harsh lessons of the NASL of yore, won't convince them.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2022, 01:33:56 PM
Quote from: Josquius on November 29, 2022, 10:12:56 AMIt used to have a big reputation for being quite boring and overly defensive.

Update your references, the era of Catenaccio is long gone. Currently Serie A is going through the spell with the most goals scored in modern times by far.

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2022, 05:04:58 PMI'm particularly fascinated to see Atalanta and Napoli up there. They used to be pretty meh.

Again, update your references. Atalanta have been qualifying for European competition for each of the last 5 seasons, including three seasons in which they finished 3rd in the league. Napoli have been qualifying for European competitions for the last 12 seasons in a row, including four seasons in which they were Serie A runners-up.

Nothing to add but that Napoli might be returning to Maradona-era glory days, so used to be pretty meh is pretty vague if not outright false?
Having northern clubs challenged makes for a better Serie A. Lazio and Roma are still able to qualify once in a while to the CL.

Duque de Bragança

I guess I should not be surprised that the "free" channel over here broadcasts the Home Nations Derby.
Iran vs USA could have been fun though  :hmm:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on November 29, 2022, 02:17:03 PMYmlaen, Cymru! :bowler:

Have you adopted my Unionist scheme to throw the game to Wales in an attempt to get both England and Wales through if Iran and the USA tie?  :bowler:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Rooting for Iran. If we lose against the US I'll never live it down with the in-laws.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 02:18:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 29, 2022, 02:17:03 PMYmlaen, Cymru! :bowler:

Have you adopted my Unionist scheme to throw the game to Wales in an attempt to get both England and Wales through if Iran and the USA tie?  :bowler:

Hope, one side of the family was Welsh and I've lived in Wales too.

Valmy

We have had it in their end practically the whole match so far. Liking our chances  :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 02:28:49 PMWe have had it in their end practically the whole match so far. Liking our chances  :cool:

Is this football commentary or an assessment of US foreign policy in the Gulf? :grin:

The Larch

Bale replaced at half-time. I wonder if he was unfit, or had some bump. In any case, it feels like his WC participation is over and overall quite lackluster.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on November 29, 2022, 02:41:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 02:28:49 PMWe have had it in their end practically the whole match so far. Liking our chances  :cool:

Is this football commentary or an assessment of US foreign policy in the Gulf? :grin:

Fortunately winning a football match is a little more straightforward than whatever our convoluted policy goals in the Persian Gulf might be  :lol:  :ph34r:

Nice half. Keep it in their end and keep the pressure on!

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2022, 01:33:56 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2022, 05:04:58 PMI'm particularly fascinated to see Atalanta and Napoli up there. They used to be pretty meh.

Again, update your references. Atalanta have been qualifying for European competition for each of the last 5 seasons, including three seasons in which they finished 3rd in the league. Napoli have been qualifying for European competitions for the last 12 seasons in a row, including four seasons in which they were Serie A runners-up.

I'm actually a Napoli fan, in the Serie A. Have been since I was maybe 6. I'm glad to see them rejuvinated. Despite that quote falsely attributed to me, above, I follow Serie A quite a lot. And yes, both Napoli and Atalanta have been very exciting to watch. Napoli have been close, but no cigar, for a few years now. As a Toronto fan, as well, it's exciting to see Insigne on the team.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 03:05:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 29, 2022, 02:41:33 PM

Fortunately winning a football match is a little more straightforward than whatever our convoluted policy goals in the Persian Gulf might be  :lol:  :ph34r:

Nice half. Keep it in their end and keep the pressure on!

Better than the Delta Force vs the Iranian desert for now, certainly.  :P

Duque de Bragança