News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2022, 10:00:02 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2022, 09:54:09 AMAaand Xavi once again defending Qatar (his paymasters for many years) in an event today in Doha.  :rolleyes:
We've got Beckham doing PR videos of Qatar for a huge fee. And just today Tony Blair saying not to go over the top on the criticism and that it's dipping into "gesture politics" (and I sort of agree) - he has close ties to the ruling family and has, for example, earned $1 million for a few hours of help brokering some business deals when there's a large Qatari stake.

So yeah <_<

Online I'm seeing some fun whataboutism with people whinging that we won't do the same thing when the US has the next world cup but Iraq, racism, etc.... etc...
Tankies :rolleyes:

Boo to Blair however. I guess he knows his legacy is already in tatters so might as well get even richer?
Which is a shame as with Starmer doing well and Labour due for a return it would be the perfect time to restore some facts to the histography.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

You want to talk shit about the USA during the next World Cup? Go right ahead. We don't care. We might not even notice and to the extent we do most of us would probably agree with the criticism. People protest us and tell us how horrible we are all the time. And it will give right wing media something to chew on for a bit that isn't attacking their fellow Americans.

Your national team wants to play a game naked to protest American companies using 3rd world sweat shops to make clothes? I am sure many Americans will not take offense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

As I've probably said before, my main problem is with FIFA and teh selection process rather than human rights issues in Qatar (except conditions for migrants working on the infra).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2022, 10:00:29 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2022, 09:54:09 AMAnyway, bunch of fun games today.

Yeah couple exciting games.

I expect less goals for Portugal-Uruguay with conservative coaches and/or playstyles.
A tie would not be a bad result for both teams.  :goodboy:

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 28, 2022, 10:55:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2022, 09:54:09 AMAnyway, bunch of fun games today.

I expect less goals for Portugal-Uruguay with conservative coaches and/or playstyles.

A tie  sets up the possibility of the repeat of 2002 :ph34r: 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2022, 09:03:48 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2022, 08:57:10 AMChina now censoring crowd scenes of the ROTW not doing zero covid.

I had not heard about that. Are they trying to gaslight their entire population into thinking that zero covid is the norm in the ROTW?

I mentioned this in the China thread, but a video of world cup fans from different countries enjoying themselves was circulating on Chinese social media. A voice over said things like "please wear your mask", "please return to your homes", "please maintain social distancing", "don't you know it's a pandemic" and so on.

It was very much a "compare the rest of the world with China, and not in China's favour" statement.

HVC

Brazil needs Neymar to spread out the hard tackles.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

Same with the Brazil game. I find Asians and Africans generally provide the most entertaining games.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2022, 11:07:04 AM

2002 started with a defeat and ended with one, so it's already different.  :contract:

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 28, 2022, 12:41:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2022, 11:07:04 AM

2002 started with a defeat and ended with one, so it's already different.  :contract:

Portugal would go in the 4 points, and a Korean victory would give them 4. Depending on the goal count it could knock Portugal out ( or maybe Uruguay knock ps Portugal out depending how they play game 3). I'd rather they not chance it :D

Also, what happens with bento? Stuck in the stands for koreas third game?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2022, 12:48:48 PMAlso, what happens with bento? Stuck in the stands for koreas third game?

Got a red at the end of the game.
He wanted to sing A Portuguesa in his lounge.
 :tinfoil:

HVC

Duque de Bragança

Selecção in the round of 16 and in a very good position to be first of the group!
Portugal 2 Uruguay 0

I only felt relieved after the penalty by
Bruno Fernandes in stoppage.

If Ghana thrashes Uruguay, and Portugal loses vs Korea, Ghana can still be first.

Barrister

I was all hyped for the World Cup ever since Canada qualified, but now two quick games later and the dream is over.  At least we have the "never scored a goal" monkey off our back - but still have to win (or at least tie) a game.

So is Belgium just not very good anymore? 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

QuoteThe ENTIRE Juventus board has resigned ahead of an extraordinary assembly.

President Andrea Agnelli is no longer in charge and Maurizio Arrivabene will take interim charge.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo/status/1597330009429274625?t=i5svbThsZqJdTbb4Bjdfjg&s=19

Anyone know what's up at Juve? Is it huge corruption again?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.