News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2022, 11:15:19 AMWorld Cup nerds, a little help here:

So in exciting Group F action, Morocco and Croatia tied 0-0.  But Canada is in Group F, and realistically to make the next round have to finish ahead of both teams.

So was a 0-0 final a good thing or a bad thing for Canada?

:unsure:

Yes. The 4th team in your group is Belgium which is the guaranteed group winner. Canada needs to grab 2nd place. You'll have zero after the Belgium game, but Morocco will also have zero points from playing Belgium on Sunday.

If you can beat Croatia on the same day, then you'll be second place with a 2 points advantage, and in the last round with Belgium beating Croatia you only need to hold Morocco to a draw.

FunkMonk

Yeah. You generally just want the big fish in the group to win their games. Your rivals are the other two. If they drop points that is generally good for you.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2022, 11:15:19 AMWorld Cup nerds, a little help here:

So in exciting Group F action, Morocco and Croatia tied 0-0.  But Canada is in Group F, and realistically to make the next round have to finish ahead of both teams.

Good.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on November 23, 2022, 11:25:23 AMCanada needs to grab 2nd place. You'll have zero after the Belgium game,

:blurgh:

Germany and Argentina just lost, so hope spring eternal!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Germany are going to go out in the group stage again, aren't they  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2022, 10:36:32 AMNext up: Can Costa Rica defeat her former colonial master? Or just tie them like the USA did?

threviel just jinxed them, again, as most teams playing Spain.
3-0 for the "Hispanics".  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 23, 2022, 11:33:03 AMGermany are going to go out in the group stage again, aren't they  :lol:

Careful, you could do a reverse jinx à la threviel, with (too much) Schadenfreude.

Josephus

Yes for sure.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

As the others have mentioned, yes.

They turned a 3 point game into a 2 point one and they have no goals for(2nd tie breaker).

While Canada's defeat this afternoon is all but assured. The team mission is to score goals & hopefully remain within 1 of Belgium.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 23, 2022, 12:04:02 PMWhile Canada's defeat this afternoon is all but assured. The team mission is to score goals & hopefully remain within 1 of Belgium.

Are you just trying to reverse-jinx the Canadians?

I wouldn't be betting on the Canadians, I certainly aren't predicting they'll win, but they have a fighters chance.  Belgium is playing a game everyone tells them they're supposed to win, versus Canada wanting to show the world they belong on the world stage... stranger things have happened.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2022, 08:37:49 AM

German protest before their current game.

The message: speak not of the game they are about to play.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

5-0 for Spain now. Costa Rica completely dominated with 85 % of ball possession for la Roja.

Josephus

So Canada lost 1-0 in Costa Rica during qualifying.  Just putting this out there
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

6-0 now, with 8 minutes of stoppage time. Maybe Hispanics should stop the carnage against fellow Hispanics.  :P

Well no, Morata scored. Almost all shots on goal are are goals.

celedhring

7-0

The Empire strikes back.