News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 22, 2022, 02:46:50 PMIn non-WC news, the Glazers are looking to sell Manchester United. With the kind of money likely necessary to buy United, that will be yet another nation-state club.

With Liverpool up for sale too, potentially both clubs to come under oil-and-natural-gas country club ownership. :hmm:

The Saudis have newcastle Utd. Liverpool and man Utd are about 20 bazillion times more valuable than the skunks. Who is that much richer than the Saudis?

Anyone wanna ping Musk? He's into silly purchases lately (and ja. Already made this joke himself)
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2022, 02:52:47 PMI guess once Dubai get theirs we'll run out of oil sheikdoms, surely? Qatar, KSA, Abu Dabhi already own a major club.
Maybe the other Emirates will be interested?

This is a thing though. I suspect it will be mainly American money from now on (hello Super League!) because the Russian oligarch money's gone, Chinese money is seen as a bit suspect/unreliable and we're running out of nation states doing sports-washing. Although, who knows, maybe the Norwegian or Singaporean sovereign wealth fund fancies diversifying into sport :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Pas d'oignons aux Australiens!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

After watching that painful display of incompetence by the USA yesterday, watching France play is a breath of fresh air. Like...oh right this game can be fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 22, 2022, 04:26:36 PMAfter watching that painful display of incompetence by the USA yesterday, watching France play is a breath of fresh air. Like...oh right this game can be fun.

congrats. Although, did you smash anything with Australia scored :D ?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2022, 04:28:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 22, 2022, 04:26:36 PMAfter watching that painful display of incompetence by the USA yesterday, watching France play is a breath of fresh air. Like...oh right this game can be fun.

congrats. Although, did you smash anything with Australia scored :D ?

Maybe...

HVC

Canada up tomorrow. Minus a goalie and defender after late injuries. Let's see what I smash.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2022, 04:33:24 PMCanada up tomorrow. Minus a goalie and defender after late injuries. Let's see what I smash.

Have you heard something I haven't?  I thought Herdman thought Borjan was good to go.

On the plus side Belgium is down their top scorer in Lukaku.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 22, 2022, 04:39:21 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2022, 04:33:24 PMCanada up tomorrow. Minus a goalie and defender after late injuries. Let's see what I smash.

Have you heard something I haven't?  I thought Herdman thought Borjan was good to go.

On the plus side Belgium is down their top scorer in Lukaku.

You're right, had a brain fart and thought Maxime Crepeau was the starter.

Barrister

Canada game starts at 12pm mountain.

I am seriously considering taking a lengthy lunch and trying to find a sportsbar or something nearby that has the game on.  I know I'll be disappointed by the end of it though...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 22, 2022, 03:11:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2022, 02:52:47 PMI guess once Dubai get theirs we'll run out of oil sheikdoms, surely? Qatar, KSA, Abu Dabhi already own a major club.
Maybe the other Emirates will be interested?

This is a thing though. I suspect it will be mainly American money from now on (hello Super League!) because the Russian oligarch money's gone, Chinese money is seen as a bit suspect/unreliable and we're running out of nation states doing sports-washing. Although, who knows, maybe the Norwegian or Singaporean sovereign wealth fund fancies diversifying into sport :lol:

Yeah, with the PR problems of the PIF and now with the Qatar WC, having another fossil fuel sheikhdom buying either Liverpool or United might be a bridge too far. And wasn't there a Saudi bid for Chelsea which failed?

American PE firms snapping up both United and Pool might be the likeliest event.

Although, FSG and the Glazers selling now at the same time probably has something to do with the Super League bid failing last year and seeing the Saudis buy Newcastle. Probably saw the writing on the wall and realized they can't compete with more owners who use balance sheets as toilet paper in the long term. Sell now and get out of dodge.

That leaves Arsenal's Stan Kroenke holding the bag, then :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Threviel

Today we are all Costa Ricans.

celedhring

Threviel

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 22, 2022, 01:53:46 PMSo of interest to very few, our local soccer team, FC Edmonton, has been shut down by the league today.

Yeah, heard about that. That sucks.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011