News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2022, 11:33:13 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2022, 11:28:08 AMApparently Qatar is breaking another promise and not allowing cooked Kosher food or public Jewish prayer:
https://www.jpost.com/international/article-722891

From online - FIFA: "Soccer brings all of us together."

Qatar: "Except the Jews."

FIFA: "Okay."

Well there are limits to how much soccer can bring us together.

I am sure Qatari apologists à la Gianni will find a good reason.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on November 21, 2022, 11:48:41 AMApparently England's group is the only one where all teams are ranked top 20.

Shows the value of rankings really.

England is n° 5 the other are under 15, to be fair.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

John Oliver this week was about the WC, but basically just reiterated the shittiness around the whole affair and Qatar in general - nothing overly new if you've followed the negative coverage so far.

I did like his describing FIFA as "a cartel-like group of scumbags and assorted criminals who occasionally put on soccer matches," though (and felt he put it rather mildly, IMHO).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

The FIFA doc on Netflix really shows what a corrupt Mafioso organization FIFA is.
At one time they hired a governance head, who was fired shortly after.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I mean, most major sports bodies are. UEFA, IOC, DFB ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

FIFA tells Belgium to remove the word "love" from the back collar of jersey.
Because, you know, love goes against the ideas of unity and bringing everyone together.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/belgium-bel/story/4808660/fifa-tells-belgium-to-remove-word-love-on-shirts-sources
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Really having a "are we the baddies?" tournament here.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

We should create our own association... with blackjack and hookers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2022, 01:51:13 PMReally having a "are we the baddies?" tournament here.

That's what Infantino told us.

Josephus

Wonder if the Wrexham owners are here for this one
Civis Romanus Sum

Sheilbh

And in contrast to spinelessness, Iran's captain:
https://twitter.com/carolineframke/status/1594509813765087233?s=46&t=fq71K42YXNRKEfF1oaz5fA

I saw Iranian fans were also chanting "dishonourable" all through the game, which is a slogan in the protests.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

So Wales has as many MLS players in the starting lineup as the USA

Civis Romanus Sum

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Americas playing a bit rough.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.