News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on November 20, 2022, 01:00:22 PMFirst host to lose opener.

True, South Africa tied the opening game, despite not qualifying for the round of 16 (defeating les Bleus however in the last game).

The stadium not exactly full, was even emptier in the second half with many Qatars leaving, disappointed by the performance of their team.

celedhring

IIRC, the hosts opening the WC is a relatively new development, so it's not *that* shocking of a stat. It used to be the holders who played the opener.

Zanza

Without beer, I would have left as well. Seems pointless. 

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 20, 2022, 01:06:56 PM

True, South Africa tied the opening game, despite not qualifying for the round of 16 (defeating les Bleus however in the last game).

The stadium not exactly full, was even emptier in the second half with many Qatars leaving, disappointed by the performance of their team.

I actually thought they'd do worse, but it's not like Ecuador  was really pushing in the second. Now I have to decide who I want to lose more, NL or Qatar :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on November 20, 2022, 12:38:15 PMFIFA introduced new captain bands at the last minute, presumably to get rid of the One Love bands several teams will wear.  :rolleyes:
Yeah and they're on social media campaigns linked to their "official partner" charities - again to move from the the "One Love" and footbal is for everyone messages (both, I believe, previously endorsed by FIFA).

I think I read that the FAs in England and Wales have decided (in consultation with captains) to stick with the rainbow One Love band, which will mean fines.

It's interesting seeing the impact of the growing prominence of women's football on this. Four year's ago was the first time there was a woman pundit for the World Cup on the BBC and ITV. It's now more unusual not to have that - and obviously the England team won the Euros earlier this year so the team and WSL are more prominent than ever. There are many out women footballers who have been particularly vocal about this World Cup in Qatar - and while I get the sense that FIFA doesn't care about women's football much yet, as it becomes more popular (and lucrative) I wonder if that'll shift and start having an impact on the men's game too? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Ecuador went into 1st gear after going 2 goals up and they still could have score 3 or 4 more. Qatar were insipid.

The stadium looked practically empty in the second half except for the Ecuadorian fans and the very conspicuous Qatari ultras who certainly aren't being paid to cheer on their shit football team.

Basically everything you could have expected from this shit show. And we'll probably see a Saudi World Cup in 2030 :bleeding:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Maladict

Quote from: HVC on November 20, 2022, 01:13:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 20, 2022, 01:06:56 PM

I actually thought they'd do worse, but it's not like Ecuador  was really pushing in the second. Now I have to decide who I want to lose more, NL or Qatar :D

Don't worry about us, we're not going far this tournament.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on November 20, 2022, 01:13:17 PMWithout beer, I would have left as well. Seems pointless. 

Even the 0,01 % alcohol "beer" that was supposed to be sold at the stadium?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 20, 2022, 01:18:06 PMEcuador went into 1st gear after going 2 goals up and they still could have score 3 or 4 more. Qatar were insipid.

Nothing more to add.

QuoteThe stadium looked practically empty in the second half except for the Ecuadorian fans and the very conspicuous Qatari ultras who certainly aren't being paid to cheer on their shit football team.

Did not seem full even in the beginning, with very few shots of the seats, common when the game is not that
good.  :P
But yes, even emptier in the second half.

QuoteBasically everything you could have expected from this shit show. And we'll probably see a Saudi World Cup in 2030 :bleeding:

It's PortuGalician World cup in 2030 remember: Portugal,Spain and Ukraine.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on November 20, 2022, 01:37:47 PMDon't worry about us, we're not going far this tournament.

Perhaps, but I don't see the Oranje losing to Qatar. If there's no 3-0 or 5-0 thrashing, it will be a symbolic victory for Qatar.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 20, 2022, 01:58:38 PM
Quote from: Maladict on November 20, 2022, 01:37:47 PMDon't worry about us, we're not going far this tournament.

Perhaps, but I don't see the Oranje losing to Qatar. If there's no 3-0 or 5-0 thrashing, it will be a symbolic victory for Qatar.

Qatar is the last group match. Unless we need the goal differential, there's no point really.

Duque de Bragança

Judging by today's game, Qatar seemed so apathetic that a Batavian B-team is more than enough.

Duque de Bragança

Wait, there's a friendly for Syt:

Austria-Italy in Vienna.  :lol:

2-0 for Austria at half-time.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on November 20, 2022, 11:34:54 AMMetropolitan liberal elite bubble I fear there.
I've seen a bunch. Albeit less than would be normal I think, largely just in really scummy pubs, garages, the odd car, etc...
Just thinking about this again because flagged by Philippe Auclair too - and the other striking thing is the lac of pub advertising for matches.

Someone pointed out, and I think they're right, that it's clashing with Christmas parties/events which is the biggest money spinner for hospitality. That may be part of the reason it seems so understated/underhyped this year :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!