News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The fans should consider getting out without being jailed for something perfectly legal in their home country enough to consider the trip a success.

I am starting to think this is going to be the best WC ever due to the massive schadenfreude factor.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 18, 2022, 07:58:58 AMDAZN here has a lot of League One games along with the international friendlies.

And also, the NFL.

They do here, too, (plus NBA, and some other sports) but I was specifically at the soccer-football schedule.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on November 18, 2022, 06:33:34 AMQatar officials have decided there will be no alcohol in or around the stadiums, two days before the WC starts. I'm sure Budweiser will be thrilled to hear this  :lol:

An exception will be made for the VIP section, otherwise FIFA would lose all credibility as a corrupt organisation.

The rich get to drink as usual, unsurprisingly.
OTOH, who the hell goes to Qatar without deep pockets? We are not talking about World Cup as in Russia where 50 € could get you a bus ticket from Warsaw to Moscow, and reasonables prices outside of St-Petersburg and Moscow (these 2 big cities required some local knowledge as in where is the hypermarket for cheap beer?).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2022, 07:07:53 AMOut of curiosity I had a look what DAZN is doing the next few weeks (they cover part of German Bundesliga here, Seria A, La Liga, Ligue 1, parts of the Eeredivise, I think?

Anyways, they have riveting program tomorrow. Friendly matches:
Sweden - Algeria
Estonia - Lithuania
Latvia - Iceland
Turkey - Czech Rep
Gibraltar - Andorra
Kosovo - Faroe Islands
Albania - Armenia

They also have two matches from the EFL, and one from the women's league in Spain.

Kinda curious to watch Gibraltar v. Andorra :lol: (not gonna sub for it, though :P )

No mention of the Portugal-Nigeria friendly?!

Monstrous!  :mad:

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2022, 09:11:29 AM
Quote from: Maladict on November 18, 2022, 06:33:34 AMQatar officials have decided there will be no alcohol in or around the stadiums, two days before the WC starts. I'm sure Budweiser will be thrilled to hear this  :lol:

An exception will be made for the VIP section, otherwise FIFA would lose all credibility as a corrupt organisation.

The rich get to drink as usual, unsurprisingly.
OTOH, who the hell goes to Qatar without deep pockets? We are not talking about World Cup as in Russia where 50 € could get you a bus ticket from Warsaw to Moscow, and reasonables prices outside of St-Petersburg and Moscow (these 2 big cities required some local knowledge as in where is the hypermarket for cheap beer?).

You can go to Qatar for free as long as you don't have any self-respect.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on November 18, 2022, 09:55:04 AMYou can go to Qatar for free as long as you don't have any self-respect.

Not enough, plenty of such people stranded here.  :P

Tamas

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 17, 2022, 04:23:09 PMThe thing is I don't think this world cup is going to be very good. Supposedly, teams aren't going to be pressing as hard or running as much because of the heat. We might see a lot of teams face each other and just sit back and defend ( at least, more than usual for international tournament football  :lol: ). Lots of draws or scrappy 1-0s.

So if the football sucks that just leaves the politics and social criticism left to talk about :hmm:

Isn't the whole thing supposed to be in AC stadiums?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

The issue with this is the about face, not that they're not selling beer. British fans would be used to that, as I beleive in British stadiums you can't drink at your seat. In other European countries, like France,  you can't drink at all.

Also the rioting British fans have primarily been people outside the stadium anyway, and my guess is most hooligans won't be making the trip to Qatar.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Infantino brings out the good ol' Whataboutism

https://news.sky.com/story/fifa-chief-gianni-infantino-hits-out-at-qatar-criticism-saying-european-countries-should-instead-be-apologising-for-the-next-3000-years-12750765

QuoteFIFA chief Gianni Infantino hits out at Qatar criticism saying European countries should instead 'be apologising for the next 3,000 years'

The footballing boss tells Sky News he feels "200% in control" of the competition as he downplays the eleventh-hour U-turn by the authorities to ban the sale of booze at all stadiums and insists guarantees made by the regime on people's security is secure.

The president of football's international governing body FIFA says the West should not criticise Qatar's hosting of the World Cup - adding that European nations should instead apologise for their own histories.

Gianni Infantino said critics were in no position "to give moral lessons to people" at a news conference to mark the opening of the tournament.

The small Middle Eastern nation has come under fire for its treatment of migrant workers and its attitude to LBGTQ+ rights.

The abrupt, eleventh-hour decision by the Qatar authorities to ban the sale of booze at all stadiums has also raised concerns about guarantees given on bigger. more significant issues.

But defending the host nation, Infantino said: "For what we Europeans have been doing around the world in the last 3,000 years we should be apologising for the next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people.

"How many of these European or Western business companies who earn millions from Qatar, billions, how many of them have addressed migrant workers' rights with the authorities?

"None of them, because if you change the legislation it means less profit. But we did, and FIFA generates much less than any of these companies from Qatar."

He added: "Today I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel (like) a migrant worker.

"Of course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled.

"But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country.

"As a child I was bullied - because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine.

"What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends.

"Don't start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging.

"And this is what we should be doing."

Despite Qatar's last-minute U-turn on selling alcohol at the tournament's eight stadiums and the implications this could have for other assurances made, Infantino told Sky News: "I feel 200% in control of this World Cup, absolutely."

Read more:
Qatar World Cup: Nine stories to watch out for

He also moved to downplay the about-turn, pointing out similar bans were in force at stadiums in Scotland, France and Spain.

Infantino said: "I think it's never too late to change. Maybe we will have to do other changes in between on other topics, I don't know.

"But when it comes to the security of people, you spoke about LGBT, everyone's security is guaranteed, from the highest level of the country. This is the guarantee that we gave and we stick to it."

Qatar's 'kafala system' is a set of labour laws which allow Qatari individuals or businesses to confiscate workers' passports and stop them leaving the country.

Human rights groups say this has given developers free rein to exploit them - exposing them to gruelling working conditions for little pay and not allowing them to go home until projects materialise.

There have been reports of migrant worker deaths that range from a few dozen to several thousand in the 12 years of preparation for the tournament.

Qatar's Sharia law means same-sex sexual activity has punishments ranging from seven years in jail to death by stoning.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on November 19, 2022, 05:55:13 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 17, 2022, 04:23:09 PMThe thing is I don't think this world cup is going to be very good. Supposedly, teams aren't going to be pressing as hard or running as much because of the heat. We might see a lot of teams face each other and just sit back and defend ( at least, more than usual for international tournament football  :lol: ). Lots of draws or scrappy 1-0s.

So if the football sucks that just leaves the politics and social criticism left to talk about :hmm:

Isn't the whole thing supposed to be in AC stadiums?

Yeah, but having spent a lot of time in the middle east, you're not always in nice air-conditioned buildings. Even then, air-conditioning sometimes just brings the temperature down a little. And most of these players are transitioning from cooler weather to the Qatari desert over just the course of a week.

The heat will play a part, I think. The players won't be roasting in 115 F on the pitch but it'll still be hot.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2022, 06:09:23 AMInfantino brings out the good ol' Whataboutism

https://news.sky.com/story/fifa-chief-gianni-infantino-hits-out-at-qatar-criticism-saying-european-countries-should-instead-be-apologising-for-the-next-3000-years-12750765

QuoteFIFA chief Gianni Infantino hits out at Qatar criticism saying European countries should instead 'be apologising for the next 3,000 years'

The footballing boss tells Sky News he feels "200% in control" of the competition as he downplays the eleventh-hour U-turn by the authorities to ban the sale of booze at all stadiums and insists guarantees made by the regime on people's security is secure.

The president of football's international governing body FIFA says the West should not criticise Qatar's hosting of the World Cup - adding that European nations should instead apologise for their own histories.

Gianni Infantino said critics were in no position "to give moral lessons to people" at a news conference to mark the opening of the tournament.

The small Middle Eastern nation has come under fire for its treatment of migrant workers and its attitude to LBGTQ+ rights.

The abrupt, eleventh-hour decision by the Qatar authorities to ban the sale of booze at all stadiums has also raised concerns about guarantees given on bigger. more significant issues.

But defending the host nation, Infantino said: "For what we Europeans have been doing around the world in the last 3,000 years we should be apologising for the next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people.

"How many of these European or Western business companies who earn millions from Qatar, billions, how many of them have addressed migrant workers' rights with the authorities?

"None of them, because if you change the legislation it means less profit. But we did, and FIFA generates much less than any of these companies from Qatar."

He added: "Today I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel (like) a migrant worker.

"Of course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled.

"But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country.

"As a child I was bullied - because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine.

"What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends.

"Don't start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging.

"And this is what we should be doing."

Despite Qatar's last-minute U-turn on selling alcohol at the tournament's eight stadiums and the implications this could have for other assurances made, Infantino told Sky News: "I feel 200% in control of this World Cup, absolutely."

Read more:
Qatar World Cup: Nine stories to watch out for

He also moved to downplay the about-turn, pointing out similar bans were in force at stadiums in Scotland, France and Spain.

Infantino said: "I think it's never too late to change. Maybe we will have to do other changes in between on other topics, I don't know.

"But when it comes to the security of people, you spoke about LGBT, everyone's security is guaranteed, from the highest level of the country. This is the guarantee that we gave and we stick to it."

Qatar's 'kafala system' is a set of labour laws which allow Qatari individuals or businesses to confiscate workers' passports and stop them leaving the country.

Human rights groups say this has given developers free rein to exploit them - exposing them to gruelling working conditions for little pay and not allowing them to go home until projects materialise.

There have been reports of migrant worker deaths that range from a few dozen to several thousand in the 12 years of preparation for the tournament.

Qatar's Sharia law means same-sex sexual activity has punishments ranging from seven years in jail to death by stoning.

Intersectionality and wokery at FIFA, for a Wahhabi World Cup no less, that's Infantino's style!
So much for real change.  :P

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on November 19, 2022, 08:28:00 AMIntersectionality? :unsure:
Analysis of how different aspects of an individual's identity intersect - for example class, race, sexuality, gender etc.

Edit: Not sure I see a mass of intersectional analysis going on in Infantino's performance of "I'm a bitch", but there we go.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2022, 08:36:51 AM
Quote from: Josquius on November 19, 2022, 08:28:00 AMIntersectionality? :unsure:
Analysis of how different aspects of an individual's identity intersect - for example class, race, sexuality, gender etc.

Edit: Not sure I see a mass of intersectional analysis going on in Infantino's performance of "I'm a bitch", but there we go.

Quote"Today I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel (like) a migrant worker.

Lunatic at times, compares alcohol laws of Portugal, Spain, France and Scotland with the wahhabi emirate. :lol:
So only 0.5 % overpriced crap "beer" during the Euro in France in the stadium? Thankfully, supermarkets with a alcohol section exist in the above mention countries.

It's indeed a performance, not a convincing one, but then the whole concept is not great to begin with.

Then he goes saying he is not (no shit Sherlock!).

That's noyer le poisson in French, at best. Just thought Tyr might need some idiomatic French expressions.  :P

PS: Infantino also stated:

QuoteInfantino also maintained that any criticism of this World Cup should be directed at him and not Qatar. "You can crucify me, I'm here for that," he said. "But don't criticise Qatar. Let people enjoy this World Cup."

Not to be taken literally, of course.

Whole tirade here, by the Guardian which describes it as bizarre attack on critics:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/19/fifa-gianni-infantino-world-cup-qatar

QuoteIncredibly, he also brushed off the ban on alcohol from stadiums introduced two days before the tournament kicks off, which on Friday sent Fifa officials and sponsors into a panic. "If this is the biggest issue we have for the World Cup then I will resign immediately and go to the beach to relax," he joked. "I think if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive.

"The same rules apply in France, Spain, Portugal and Scotland. Here it has become a big thing, because it is a Muslim country? I don't know why. We tried and that is why I give you the late change of policy. We tried to see if it was possible."

QuoteIncredibly, he also brushed off the ban on alcohol from stadiums introduced two days before the tournament kicks off, which on Friday sent Fifa officials and sponsors into a panic. "If this is the biggest issue we have for the World Cup then I will resign immediately and go to the beach to relax," he joked. "I think if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive.

"The same rules apply in France, Spain, Portugal and Scotland. Here it has become a big thing, because it is a Muslim country? I don't know why. We tried and that is why I give you the late change of policy. We tried to see if it was possible."