News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on November 08, 2022, 08:17:27 AMI'm sure its not just me getting older when I say the world cup and the euros just don't feel as special as they once did.

Not just age, but age certainly plays a part.  :P Plus the upcoming tournament, way worse than usual.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on November 08, 2022, 08:17:27 AMI'm sure its not just me getting older when I say the world cup and the euros just don't feel as special as they once did.
I feel so gutted for the Welsh at their first World Cup since 1958 - and some banging versions of Yma o Hyd on the route to qualification plus Michael Sheen - and it's for this tawdry shower :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

My biggest problem with the WC this year is this is a very underwhelming USA team. They have 0-3 written all over them. And France has not exactly covered themselves in glory recently either, not thinking a repeat of 2018 is likely.

I mean I will watch but I am not looking forward to it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I dunno, I'm excited for this WC.

Almost entirely because Canada's in it, mind you.  But I think that's a good enough reason.  :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Blatter: Choosing Qatar is too corrupt a choice, even for me.  :lol:

QuoteSepp Blatter says choosing Qatar to host World Cup was 'a mistake'

Although the reasons he gives are...  :ph34r:

QuoteHanding the World Cup to Qatar was a "mistake" and a "bad choice" according to the former Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who has repeated claims the decision was a result of secret political pressure.

Blatter says the tournament was handed to the Gulf state because of the actions of the former Uefa president, Michel Platini, under pressure from France's then president, Nicolas Sarkozy. "For me it is clear: Qatar is a mistake. The choice was bad," Blatter told the Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger. "At the time, we actually agreed in the executive committee that Russia should get the 2018 World Cup and the USA that of 2022. It would have been a gesture of peace if the two longstanding political opponents had hosted the World Cup one after the other."

Asked why Qatar was a bad choice, Blatter made no mention of the human rights concerns that have hung over the tournament, but said: "It's too small a country. Football and the World Cup are too big for that."

Blatter said that Fifa's plans were disrupted by Platini, claiming the Frenchman was instrumental in directing four votes from European countries to Qatar, after pressure from Sarkozy.

"Thanks to the four votes of Platini and his [Uefa] team, the World Cup went to Qatar rather than the United States. It's the truth," Blatter said of the 14-8 voting result against the US in the final two.

"Platini told me he had been invited to the Élysée Palace, where French president Sarkozy had just had lunch with the Crown Prince of Qatar," Blatter said. "Sarkozy said to Platini: 'See what you and your colleagues from Uefa can do for Qatar when the World Cup is awarded.' I then asked him: 'And now?'"

According to Blatter, when he queried this, Platini's response was: "'Sepp, what would you do if your president asked you for something?' I then told him that the question didn't arise for me because we don't have a president in Switzerland."

Platini was questioned by French officials in 2019 as part of an investigation into the 2022 bidding process. The former France player acknowledges that the meeting with Sarkozy took place but denies his votes were influenced.

In 2013 he told the Guardian: "I knew Sarkozy wanted the people from Qatar to buy PSG. I understood that Sarkozy supported the candidature of Qatar. But he never asked me, or to vote for Russia [for 2018]. He knows my personality. I always vote for what is good for football. Not for myself, not for France." Sarkozy has previously chosen not to comment on the World Cup allegations.

Blatter, in his first interview since he and Platini were acquitted of fraud in July – although that verdict is the subject of an appeal – also struck out against his replacement at Fifa, criticising Gianni Infantino for living in Qatar in the buildup to the tournament.

Admiral Yi

Pulisic's no play time, his one shank when he got time, manager musical chairs, plus Chelsea's crap record have sapped my PL enthusiasm this season.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 07:50:59 PMPulisic's no play time, his one shank when he got time, manager musical chairs, plus Chelsea's crap record have sapped my PL enthusiasm this season.

Chelsea in real trouble imo.

Pulisic going there might have been good in terms of medals (CL winner!) but bad for his career overall. He needs to leave to get some real playing time.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2022, 06:50:52 PMBlatter: Choosing Qatar is too corrupt a choice, even for me.  :lol:

Then Blatter should give the bribes money back.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 09, 2022, 05:34:54 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2022, 06:50:52 PMBlatter: Choosing Qatar is too corrupt a choice, even for me.  :lol:

Then Blatter should give the bribes money back.  :P

Ah no see. He is actually doing the world a favour by keeping the bribes in his hands and away from the cheapskate regime that didnt give the 10 million hush clause he asked for.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

The last couple of David Squires' strips have been about the darker side of the Qatar WC. If anyone is interested:

The story of Malcolm Bidali, a Kenyan security guard and whistleblower that was imprisoned after publicising the working conditions of foreign workers in Qatar:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/nov/08/david-squires-on-qatar-2022-and-a-world-cup-whistleblower-story

The story of David, a Ghanese "invisible worker":

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/nov/10/david-squires-on-qatar-2022-the-invisible-man-world-cup-story-migrant-worker

Valmy

Don't worry about 2026 though. Nothing controversial could possibly happen in the United States, Canada, or Mexico before then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

You'll never sing that,
You'll never sing that,
Top of the league during the World Cup,
You'll never sing that

:lol:

The Larch

Ronaldo is angy at United.

Quote'I felt betrayed': Ronaldo aims broadside at Ten Hag and Manchester United
Forward says coach and others want him out of club
'I felt betrayed and I felt like some people don't want me here'

Cristiano Ronaldo claims he has been "betrayed" by Manchester United and believes they are trying to force him out of the club.

The Portugal forward said that head coach Erik ten Hag and others want him out of Old Trafford in an excerpt of a 90-minute interview released on the Piers Morgan Uncensored Twitter feed.

When asked by Morgan if United's hierarchy were trying to force him out of the club, Ronaldo, 37, said: "Yes, not only the coach, but another two or three guys around the club. I felt betrayed."

When quizzed again if senior club executives were trying to oust him, Ronaldo said: "I don't care. People should listen to the truth.

"Yes I felt betrayed and I felt like some people don't want me here, not only this year but last year too."

The forward was banished from first-team training last month by Ten Hag and excluded from the draw at Chelsea as punishment for refusing to come on against Tottenham and walking down the tunnel before the end of the match.

He returned to the fold – and scored his third of the season – in the 3-0 Europa League victory over Sheriff and played in the subsequent Premier League games against West Ham and Aston Villa, though he was absent from the matchday squad for Sunday's game against Fulham.

When Morgan asked Ronaldo about current United boss Ten Hag, the Portuguese said: "I don't have respect for him because he doesn't show respect for me. If you don't have respect for me, I'm never gonna have respect for you."

Ronaldo was also "witheringly scornful" about former United team-mate Wayne Rooney over criticism the former had received for refusing to appear for United as a substitute during a recent game against Tottenham.

Ronaldo reportedly said: "I don't know why he criticises me so badly ... probably because he finished his career and I'm still playing at a high level. I'm not going to say that I'm looking better than him. Which is true ..."

In further clips from the interview, released by TalkTV and due to be broadcast at 8pm (GMT) on Wednesday and Thursday, Ronaldo claimed United had not progressed as a club since the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013.

Ronaldo said: "I don't know what is going on but since Sir Alex Ferguson left I saw no evolution in the club, the progress was zero.

"For example, we have an interesting point that how the club as Manchester United after (they) sack Ole (Gunnar Solskjaer), they buy – they bring (in), sports director Ralf Rangnick, which is something that nobody understands.

"This guy is not even a coach. A bigger club like Manchester United brings (a) sports director – surprised not only me but all the world, you know.

"Nothing changed. Surprisingly. Not only the pool, the jacuzzi, even the gym ... Even some points, the technology, the kitchen, the chefs, which is, I appreciate, lovely persons.

"They stopped in a time, which surprised me a lot. I thought I will see different things ... different, as I mentioned before, technology, infrastructure. But unfortunately, we see many things that I used to see when I was 20, 21, 23. So, it surprised me a lot."

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on November 14, 2022, 06:41:41 AMRonaldo is angy at United.

QuoteRonaldo reportedly said: "I don't know why he criticises me so badly ... probably because he finished his career and I'm still playing at a high level. I'm not going to say that I'm looking better than him. Which is true ..."

:lol:

I have to say, though, it seems like he has had a terrible year personally and professionally so, on a human level, I hope he gets the support he needs.

The Larch

Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2022, 12:16:49 PMThe last couple of David Squires' strips have been about the darker side of the Qatar WC. If anyone is interested:

The story of Malcolm Bidali, a Kenyan security guard and whistleblower that was imprisoned after publicising the working conditions of foreign workers in Qatar:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/nov/08/david-squires-on-qatar-2022-and-a-world-cup-whistleblower-story

The story of David, a Ghanese "invisible worker":

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/nov/10/david-squires-on-qatar-2022-the-invisible-man-world-cup-story-migrant-worker

Today's story is about Rupchandra Rumba, a Nepalese construction worker that died because of Qatar's extreme heat.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/nov/15/david-squires-on-a-qatar-world-cup-workers-death-by-natural-causes