News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on October 21, 2022, 10:11:08 AM"oh boy, this team is really something! Silverware guaranteed every year!".

:lmfao:

It is the history of the Tottenham
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

So will Klopp get his walking papers today?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Pool deservedly losing to the worst team in the league is beautiful
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

What a wonderful weekend for Everton fans :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on March 28, 2022, 07:43:01 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2022, 07:40:19 AMWatched the game yesterday at a bar with some friends. Talked to my mother after and found out Eustáquio is apparently a family friend. Family is from the village my mom's from and my cousin is friends with his mom.

I always knew all Portuguese are related.  :P

Well Eustáquio blew it last week-end vs Benfica with two yellows in as few minutes so get off your high horse.  :P

HVC

Hey, I didn't say he was MY friend haha
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on October 23, 2022, 02:24:17 PMHey, I didn't say he was MY friend haha

He's family for you, that's even worse.  :P

Half-time

PSG 3 Maccabi Haifa 1

Benfica 3 Juve 1
Good thing the Juve coach said not getting to the round of 16 was not a failure, I guess, if the result were to be confirmed.

Duque de Bragança

Yesterday's games ended with PSG vs Haifa 7-2 and Benfica 4 -Juve 3 (good last 20 minutes for Juve but their performance was abysmal and losing by only goal is rather lucky).

As for tonight, with Bayern winning 4-0 vs Plzen, Barça is out of the Champions' League, even before the Barça-Bayern game playing right now (1-0 for Bayern as of now).

Porto 4 Bruges 0 the exact opposite of the first leg with Diogo Costa, Porto GK stopping twice (!) a penalty (retaken since a Porto player had entered too soon the penalty area). First goalkeeper to stop three penalties in a single Champions' League season !

At the very least, the Selecção has found Rui Patrício's successor. :)

That's two victories out of three for Portuguese clubs, that's not bad but Sporting is playing Tottenham and I am not exactly optimistic given their recent habit of sabotaging themselves with stupid yellows and reds. Right now Tottenham 0 Sporting 1  :hmm:

HVC

Eustáquio got booked again.  :P Your family is troublesome. :D

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 26, 2022, 02:27:01 PMHVC

Eustáquio got booked again.  :P Your family is troublesome. :D

Family friend, I got no blood haha. Although used to be a smallish fishing village, so probably like a 6th cousin or something if you dig back for enough   :blush:  :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

You win some and you lose some with VAR, but Jesus Fucking CHRIST. I've never seen a more impactful VAR decision. It killed a beautiful moment of football.

Zoupa

I'm talking about the CL Spurs - Sporting game today. Spurs played a shit 1st half and were down 1 nil at half time. They battle back and get to 1-1 at 80th minute. 5 minutes of added time.

At 94:46 seconds, Kane scores and makes it 2-1, qualifying Spurs for the knockout stages regardless of the last game of the group stage.

VAR reviews the goal FOR 5 MINUTES and then they show us their fucking imaginary lines to show the offside. VAR is overall good, I think. But if it takes 5 minutes to decide, then obviously it's not clear cut and the goal should stand.

Obviously I'm not impartial, but in this particular case it definitely killed a bit of the magic of football. The whole stadium deflated. Bleh.

Admiral Yi

Zoupa

I mean... really? Come on now

Admiral Yi

Look at the linesman's angle.  because of perspective the passer is going to appear to be on a different plane than Kane.  The linesman is going to make that call off Kane and his near defender. 

Then they replay it, and it looks like it might be on side, but the test is overwhelming, or introvertible, or whatver evidence.  That's the kind of call you only bitch about if it's your team.

Duque de Bragança

Tottenham, given its squad and finances, should not be struggling for a round of 16 spot with the likes of Marseille, Eintracht and Sporting. They were arch-favourites, they are still first of the group, by one point, but can still be out.

Most of the previous games they were dominated, even the first half last night was for Sporting, itself in bad form in the Primeira Liga. Sporting really blew it against Marseille twice, specially the goal keeper Adan, with another failed save allowing the Tottenham goal.
Tottenham is favorite for the last game vs Marseille (former Zoupa favorite club) but Conte is off, getting a red for entering the pitch. His excuse was that he was one only of many doing it, yet he is
the only who got the red.

Not bad for Portuguese clubs all in all, two victories and a draw.

Porto got qualified since Atlético and Bayer tied, with a penalty for the Atleti denied by the goalkeeper. Now even the first spot of the group is possible, for the last game vs Atlético. Two players will be suspended for too many yellows however, Uribe and Carmo.

Same goes for Benfica, but they are behind PSG-QSI in goal-average, unless Juve wakes up to get an Europa League spot vs PSG.