News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

I'm an optimist with regards to football. Every world cup or euro, I fully expect France to win. Same with Tottenham.

They have played like absolute garbage, yet keep getting points and are sitting third, same points as City. Once they actually start playing like Conte expects, we can beat anyone. Richarlison has been so-so, Son same, and Kulucevski is injured. Once all 3 are in the groove, we can challenge the title.  :showoff:

FunkMonk

I'm not convinced this Spurs side can go up a level, but if they do they really need better wing backs, especially on the right. Royal and Doherty are  :lol:

I think Conte gets a WB in Jan and then they might start flying. They just have to keep in touch of the top until the WC break. The big IF is if Kane gets his legs destroyed at the WC.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 16, 2022, 06:39:02 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 16, 2022, 05:10:43 PMAnyone but city.

And Newcastle now... City and them every year for eternity.

The next decade or so might be rough for you.

Its weird, as they obviously haven't earned it and are just buying it with blood money. So any success they do have is clearly tainted and over-celebration would just mark their fans as the arrogant cunts we've always known they are.
Especially in contrast with how sound our current setup looks.

But my fingers remain crossed the mega-football bubble shall pop soon.
Generally too, not just related to United.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2022, 05:10:23 AMBut my fingers remain crossed the mega-football bubble shall pop soon.

What dynamics would lead to the mega-football bubble popping, do you think?

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2022, 01:48:23 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2022, 05:10:23 AMBut my fingers remain crossed the mega-football bubble shall pop soon.

The exponential rise in transfer fees finally hitting a ceiling, stalling, then crashing.

The decline in influence of dodgy foreign money and it no longer being the cool thing to do for the rich will be key.

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Barça's Alexia Putellas wins her second consecutive Ballon D'Or.

Men's football? Men play this sport, too?  :sleep:

FunkMonk

Laws that prevent nation-states from owning clubs (no more Citys, PSGs, Newcastles). I don't think such laws will ever come to pass, though.

FunkMonk

Truss and Gerrard sacked on the same day  :bowler:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Gerrard is every asshole PE teacher I've ever had.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on October 16, 2022, 07:41:47 PMI'm an optimist with regards to football. Every world cup or euro, I fully expect France to win. Same with Tottenham.

They have played like absolute garbage, yet keep getting points and are sitting third, same points as City. Once they actually start playing like Conte expects, we can beat anyone. Richarlison has been so-so, Son same, and Kulucevski is injured. Once all 3 are in the groove, we can challenge the title.  :showoff:

Do you have a French team you follow? Or just Tottenham?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2022, 02:46:13 PMMen's football? Men play this sport, too?  :sleep:

Now you know how Americans feel...well before that last game against Spain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Russia destroying Europe in a nuclear war.

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2022, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 16, 2022, 07:41:47 PMI'm an optimist with regards to football. Every world cup or euro, I fully expect France to win. Same with Tottenham.

Do you have a French team you follow? Or just Tottenham?

Not anymore. In my younger days, I'd follow the local team, so I went through St-Etienne, Marseille and Toulouse.

2 of Toulouse's players got transferred to Tottenham, so that's what piqued my curiosity. They were my favourite players back in the day, Sissoko (now at Watford I think) and Aurier (now at Sevilla I think).

I started watching Spurs in 2019, when they had that crazy CL run. Naive little me thought "oh boy, this team is really something! Silverware guaranteed every year!".

How wrong I was  :cry:

Sheilbh

Just asking - but I take it you weren't aware of the word "Spursy" when you started following them? :lol: :console:

I sympathise though - I always identified with Spurs as a bit of a sexier London Everton. And now I see your mistake.
Let's bomb Russia!