News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on October 09, 2022, 11:00:17 PMGabriel makes a clear handball - no penalty.

Jesus crumbles in true Brazilian fashion after not getting hit - penalty.

Always fun playing at the Emirates  :yucky: Liverpool were robbed!

:console:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Retired at 24, what a shock this must have been for him, but at least it has prevented a terrible consequence in the future. I guess that Brighton will offer him to join the coaching staff now, or something.

QuoteBrighton's Enock Mwepu forced to retire due to hereditary heart condition
Zambia midfielder was taken ill during international break
Mwepu advised by doctors to stop playing football

Enock Mwepu has been forced to end his playing career after being diagnosed with a hereditary heart condition.

The Zambia international, 24, who joined Brighton for around £20m from Red Bull Salzburg last July, was taken ill while on a flight to join his national side during the international break. Mwepu was admitted to hospital for four days in Mali before returning to Brighton for further tests.

A statement from Brighton said the tests "concluded that his illness is due to a hereditary cardiac condition, which manifests later in life and was not previously evident on regular cardiac screening. Sadly this can be exacerbated by playing sport so Enock has been advised that the only option, for the sake of his own safety, is for him to stop playing football."

"A boy from a small Zambian township called Chambishi has news to share," Mwepu wrote in a message on Twitter. "He stood strong to follow his dreams of playing football at the highest level, and by grace of God, he lived his dream by reaching the Premier League.

"Some dreams, however, have an end, so it is with sadness that I announce the need to hang up my boots because of the medical advice I received. This is not the end of my involvement in football, I intend to stay involved to some degree.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who supported me in my football trip including my wife and family, my agent 12MAN, the Zambian FA, all my past team-mates and coaches, specially everyone at Brighton & Hove Albion."

The club chairman, Tony Bloom, said: "We are all absolutely devastated for Enock. He and his family have had a traumatic few weeks and while we are thankful he has come through that period, he has seen such a promising career cut short at such a young age. As a club we will give him all the love, help and support we possibly can to make a full recovery, and then as he decides on the next steps in his life."

The head coach, Roberto De Zerbi, said: "I am so sorry for Enock. Before I arrived he was a player I was so looking forward to working with. We will do everything we can to help him."

Mwepu – who was known as "the Computer" in his homeland for his ability to read the game – started Brighton's 5-2 win against Leicester last month in what proved to be his final match for the club. He made 27 appearances in total for Brighton, scoring three goals, and won 23 caps for Zambia.

Edit: Posted the full article, don't know why it wasn't shown completely.

Josquius

Sucks for all concerned. For the man himself of course - Zambia not being much of a football country I guess he was their top player?
And then for Brighton. 20 mil is a lot for anyone. Especially for such a small team.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on October 10, 2022, 04:42:48 PMSucks for all concerned. For the man himself of course - Zambia not being much of a football country I guess he was their top player?

There's Patson Daka at Leicester, also coming from RB Salzburg to the Premier League in 2021.

It seems RB Salzburg has a good team of scouts for the African market if they got those two.

Sheilbh

Real shame for him especially at that age :(

Obviously good they caught it though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Disappointing night yesterday for gas/oil clubs:

PSG-QSI 1 Benfica 1
No Messi and no real inspiration from Kyky (scored on a penalty).

Copenhagen 0 Manchester City 0
Red card against City from the 30th minute.

Jacob

Well done FCK!

Not enough, obviously, but given how the last match vs ManCity went that's a significant improvement.

Duque de Bragança

Sporting CP 0 OM 2

Another collapse, this time at home, for Sporting. Ended playing with only 9 players following two double yellows. Started so well, not even getting to Europa League is not that easy.

Bayer Leverkusen 0 FC Porto 3

Despite the margin, this was a much closer affair than it looks. As in the first game, the first half was pretty open, with a penalty stopped by the Porto GK (as in the first game) when Porto was leading only by one goal (as in the first game bis).

Second half much better for Porto (as in... you know the rest), with two penalties scored by Taremi.
A bad start for Xabi Alonso, new coach of Bayer Leverkusen.

Inter Barça seems to have been quite the game ending 3-3 (!) with a Barça late equaliser.  :P

celedhring

Yeah, our game was intense. But we're out of it barring a miracle.

The Larch

N'Golo Kante to miss the WC due to injury.

The French squad is an embarrassment of riches, but losing him must always hurt.

FunkMonk

Pool are back but most important of all City cannot go invincible this season.

Josephus

It's amazing City's been doing so well, and they're not even top of the league. Arsenal is so understated.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on October 16, 2022, 02:16:08 PMIt's amazing City's been doing so well, and they're not even top of the league. Arsenal is so understated.

I mean, very few Arsenal fans are seriously thinking about winning the title this year. City have too much quality and depth. But it is nice to dream  :cool:

The last half decade has seriously reset expectations such that we're just enjoying the ride, game by game. I was happy with 5th last season.  This season top 4 is the  target. Anything else is gravy.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on October 16, 2022, 05:10:43 PMAnyone but city.

And Newcastle now... City and them every year for eternity.

The next decade or so might be rough for you.