News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Zoupa on October 02, 2022, 10:43:03 PMI think the Premier League should look into fairer revenue sharing. Imagine a simulation of City against Nottingham Forest for 100 games. I would not be surprised if City wins 99 of those.

Forest spent more than £140m in the transfer window. City made a net profit of £50m on player sales/purchases.

Josquius

Worth considering the talent attracts talent factor too.
Man City early in their oil wealth era and Newcastle today show this - they're not going right in for the best players in the world but instead buying merely good players. As when you're a struggling no name team the truly top players aren't coming to play for you 9 times out of 10 no matter how rich you are.
Generally a player a lower team signs for a certain amount will be worse than that a higher team signs for the same amount.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: Gups on October 03, 2022, 03:52:05 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 02, 2022, 10:43:03 PMI think the Premier League should look into fairer revenue sharing. Imagine a simulation of City against Nottingham Forest for 100 games. I would not be surprised if City wins 99 of those.

Forest spent more than £140m in the transfer window. City made a net profit of £50m on player sales/purchases.

Yes, but the market value of all players in City's roster is 1.16 billion dollars. Forest's is 328 million. Bournemouth is 193. That's more or less a 6-fold difference.

The games against City from the poorer teams will not be competitive or fun to watch 99 times out of a 100. IMO, of course.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-league/marktwerteverein/wettbewerb/GB1

Admiral Yi

I love revenue sharing in the US but I don't see how it would work with relegation.  Teams on the bubble would be forced to sign one year contracts for players.

Zoupa

Yeah, I haven't a clue how to fix that part. The whole pyramid of english football would need to be integrated in the revenue sharing...

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2022, 09:07:56 PMI love revenue sharing in the US but I don't see how it would work with relegation.  Teams on the bubble would be forced to sign one year contracts for players.

League one and two have a big problem where its impossible to build a squad as one year contracts are standard.
The championship doesn't have this problem.

I'd say rather than the Premier league and championship the biggest gulf is to be found in relegation from the championship. There you're really dropping into a different world rather than just Premier league 2.

Increasing exposure for the championship could be a good way to equalise things. I don't see what as such a big leap. The quality there is high. Its a league that is better than the top leagues in many countries.

Of course then you're just kicking the can down the road but a top 40 is fairer than a top 22.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 01:46:14 AMLeague one and two have a big problem where its impossible to build a squad as one year contracts are standard.

It would if there were revenue sharing.  How would you sign long term deals if you didn't know if next year your revenue might get cut by X hundred million pounds?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2022, 02:22:21 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 01:46:14 AMLeague one and two have a big problem where its impossible to build a squad as one year contracts are standard.

It would if there were revenue sharing.  How would you sign long term deals if you didn't know if next year your revenue might get cut by X hundred million pounds?

I don't get your meaning. Why would you suddenly get such a huge revenue cut?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 02:35:40 AMI don't get your meaning. Why would you suddenly get such a huge revenue cut?

Because you're no longer getting a cut of Premier League revenue.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2022, 02:44:39 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 02:35:40 AMI don't get your meaning. Why would you suddenly get such a huge revenue cut?

Because you're no longer getting a cut of Premier League revenue.

Parachute payments are a thing.
And if revenue sharing was done properly it'd spread to the championship at least, more ideally beyond.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

This does not belong to the Russia-Ukraine war thread but it's symbolically linked.

QuoteUkraine is reportedly set to launch a joint bid with Spain and Portugal to host the 2030 World Cup.
The move has been sanctioned by Ukraine's president Volodymyr Zelensky which would see the war-torn nation host one of the tournament's groups.
According to The Times, the bid is set to be announced by Spain and Portugal's football authorities at UEFA's headquarters on Wednesday.
Vinicius Jr, Bellingham, Pedri - 10 best U23 players to look out for in QatarVinicius Jr, Bellingham, Pedri - 10 best U23 players to look out for in Qatar
WORLD CUP
VINICIUS JR, BELLINGHAM, PEDRI - 10 BEST U23 PLAYERS TO LOOK OUT FOR IN QATAR
30/09/2022 AT 08:02
With the expectation that the war in Ukraine will be over in eight years' time, a symbolic bid to promote hope and peace in the country appears to be the three nations' strategy to try and win a majority vote among FIFA's 211 member associations.
However, the joint bid could face tough opposition should a joint bid between Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Greece be made official.
In South America, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile are expected to launch a joint bid to commemorate the centenary of the first World Cup played in Uruguay in 1930.
The World Cup was last played in Europe in 2018 when Russia hosted the tournament.

Given the other non-sensical bid with Greece and the Middle East, things bode well for the South American bid. Mind you, the North American 2026 was already bad enough.

The Larch

So, countries are at the moment scrambling to prepare bids for the 2030 World Cup. A few of them have been announced already, such as one from Morocco (which could be expanded to include Tunisia and maybe also Algeria), a joint bid from a group of South American countries (Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay, with rumours of Perú and Bolivia maybe joining as well), a weird cross-continent one from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Greece and a joint Iberian one by Spain and Portugal.

It is now being reported that the joint Spain-Portugal one is looking to expand in order to include a 3rd country, which would be... Ukraine (with a somehow symbolic presence).

It seems to me that joint bids are going to be the norm for most major tournaments from now on, maybe it's time for some ground rules to be established before we get to joint Canada-New Zealand bids.

Edit: *shakes fist at Duque*

Josquius

I'm not sure whether thats Portugal-Spain being nice or really cheap and exploitative.

I don't see the problem with joint bids overall. Its the only way for smaller countries to be involved. Though they should of course be sensible links like Iberia or the British Isles rather than Canada and NZ.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 05:53:08 AMI'm not sure whether thats Portugal-Spain being nice or really cheap and exploitative.

Knowing our FA, it's definitely the latter.

Also we somehow got Portugal to give up part of their allotted games for this.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2022, 05:54:20 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 05:53:08 AMI'm not sure whether thats Portugal-Spain being nice or really cheap and exploitative.

Knowing our FA, it's definitely the latter.

Also we somehow got Portugal to give up part of their allotted games for this.

Problem is Portugal has only 3 stadia as of now ready for the World Cup as in > 40,000. I don't that many games were given up with FIFA and others preferring Madrid and Barcelona for semi-finals if not quarter finals.