News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2022, 01:43:54 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 01:26:03 PMI'm afraid that's not very realistic. They're in the same group than Belgium (milking the last few years of their golden generation, finished 3rd in 2018), Croatia (runners-up in 2018, also with a historically strong team) and Morocco (a historically competitive team, with most of its players in Europe, including some in top teams), and only the first two teams will qualify. Belgium and Croatia will be favourites by far to qualify from that group.

But this is a Canadian team that was able to beat both Mexico and the US in qualifying.

Defeating the US and Mexico, on WC terms, is not the golden ticket you think it is. Sure, it's a milestone for Canada, and quite the achievement, but it doesn't instantly turn you into WC favourites. Neither the US nor Mexico are instant favourites either, and both teams have to fight for qualification from their groups in every WC. They're, at best, 2nd tier teams in WC terms, if not 3rd tier.

QuoteTheir roster has 10 MLS players, but the rest playing in Europe, including Davies with Bayern Munich.

Except for Davies and a couple of other players most of the Canadians playing in Europe do so in very minor teams. I'm sure it's a step up from the level of the past, but still, there's lots of room to improve. Morocco also has most of its players in Europe as well, many in top teams, one at Bayern Munich too, who might not even be a starter in the WC.

QuoteBelgium is obviously a tough match.  But if they can beat Morocco, and then maybe stand a chance against Croatia...

Both Belgium and Croatia will be very tough matches, anything that is not a defeat against any of them should be considered a great success by the Canadian team. Morocco could be a more competitive match, and if things go well for Canada a victory could be a possibility. Qualification will still be a long shot, and in such a strong group not getting past the competition is nothing to be ashamed about.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but expecting Canada to qualify from its WC group is very unrealistic. It could happen, there are upsets and Cinderella stories, but it's not the likeliest scenario.

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on September 27, 2022, 01:32:12 PMAnd the Moroccans will have a climate advantage I guess.

That is either incredibly racist or incredibly ignorant. Pick your poison.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2022, 02:10:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2022, 01:44:17 PMIIRC open, but air-conned.

Sounds energy efficient.

I saw a video the topic recently, and apparently they have developed a new system for A/Cing large stadiums that is very innovative (it seems that Qatar has been heavily investing on fluid dynamics research for A/C applications since they were given the WC), and plan to make the technology freely available. Apparently all the A/C systems that will be used for the WC will run on solar power.

FunkMonk

If Canada qualifies it's probably because of them getting something like three draws and goal difference. A single win would be massive, though. I'm not counting them out.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 27, 2022, 09:07:46 PMIf Canada qualifies it's probably because of them getting something like three draws and goal difference. A single win would be massive, though. I'm not counting them out.

Take into account that there won't be "better 3rds" this time, only the first two will qualify. That makes it even more difficult.

Admiral Yi

Why did the US play SA in an empty stadium?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 08:47:02 PMThat is either incredibly racist or incredibly ignorant. Pick your poison.

It's as racist as saying that people who live at high altitudes have an advantage at high altitude venues.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2022, 09:29:00 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 08:47:02 PMThat is either incredibly racist or incredibly ignorant. Pick your poison.

It's as racist as saying that people who live at high altitudes have an advantage at high altitude venues.

Is the climate in Morocco similar to that of Qatar?

I would think the climate of Morocco is not too dissimilar from that of Spain, so I guess the Spanish team will have a climate advantage also?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2022, 11:00:57 PMIs the climate in Morocco similar to that of Qatar?

I would think the climate of Morocco is not too dissimilar from that of Spain, so I guess the Spanish team will have a climate advantage also?

You are apparently familiar with the climates of Morocco and Spain, so I'm surprised you are not familiar with the climate of Qatar.

Qatar is very hot and dry.

I would expect Spain to have an advantage over, say, Canada in terms of acclimation.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2022, 12:48:40 AMYou are apparently familiar with the climates of Morocco and Spain, so I'm surprised you are not familiar with the climate of Qatar.

Qatar is very hot and dry.

Touche :lol:

QuoteI would expect Spain to have an advantage over, say, Canada in terms of acclimation.

Well if the stadia have effective AC, maybe not so much?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2022, 12:51:20 AMWell if the stadia have effective AC, maybe not so much?

Surely.

And whether they have AC or not, still not racist.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 08:47:02 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 27, 2022, 01:32:12 PMAnd the Moroccans will have a climate advantage I guess.

That is either incredibly racist or incredibly ignorant. Pick your poison.

Why do you think so?
It's well observed that Englands performance tends to suffer in hot countries. Canada is fairly famous for being a bit nippy.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

England's performance suffers when there is quality opposition. :P

I am kind of feeling sorry for Southgate and team. "You prevailed over giants like Panama, even Sweden! How can you NOT replicate the same success against Germany and Italy?"

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2022, 03:16:13 AMEngland's performance suffers when there is quality opposition. :P

I am kind of feeling sorry for Southgate and team. "You prevailed over giants like Panama, even Sweden! How can you NOT replicate the same success against Germany and Italy?"

Then there's Hungary which kind of breaks that argument :p
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Apparently Ronaldo was offered 2 million a week to play for Al Hallial in Saudi Arabia. Talks were serious but broke down when the club was hit with a transfer ban.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011