News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Canada is losing to Uruguay as we speak in a friendly.  It's probably the only really competitive team they're playing as a friendly in the lead up to the world cup, so not a good sign.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2022, 12:42:19 PMCanada is losing to Uruguay as we speak in a friendly.  It's probably the only really competitive team they're playing as a friendly in the lead up to the world cup, so not a good sign.

Tbf, Uruguay is quite the powerhouse, so Canada loosing to them is to be expected.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2022, 12:42:19 PMCanada is losing to Uruguay as we speak in a friendly.  It's probably the only really competitive team they're playing as a friendly in the lead up to the world cup, so not a good sign.

Tbf, Uruguay is quite the powerhouse, so Canada loosing to them is to be expected.

Canada's obviously not winning the World Cup, but I was hopeful they might advance out of the group phase.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 27, 2022, 12:29:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2022, 04:38:48 PMFuture 2022 workd cup champions ( :P ) portugal beat the Czechs 4-0 in the national league

BTW, anyone actually watching/caring about these games?

Me. :smarty:

Biggest game tonight.

Portugal-Spain in Braga.

Portugal only needs a tie so I expect Santos to offer a defensive squad.

I'll be watching too
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2022, 12:50:32 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 12:44:27 PM

Canada's obviously not winning the World Cup, but I was hopeful they might advance out of the group phase.

I'm afraid that's not very realistic. They're in the same group than Belgium (milking the last few years of their golden generation, finished 3rd in 2018), Croatia (runners-up in 2018, also with a historically strong team) and Morocco (a historically competitive team, with most of its players in Europe, including some in top teams), and only the first two teams will qualify. Belgium and Croatia will be favourites by far to qualify from that group.

Josquius

And the Moroccans will have a climate advantage I guess.

Or are these stadia all indoor and air conned?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2022, 01:26:03 PMI'm afraid that's not very realistic. They're in the same group than Belgium (milking the last few years of their golden generation, finished 3rd in 2018), Croatia (runners-up in 2018, also with a historically strong team) and Morocco (a historically competitive team, with most of its players in Europe, including some in top teams), and only the first two teams will qualify. Belgium and Croatia will be favourites by far to qualify from that group.

But this is a Canadian team that was able to beat both Mexico and the US in qualifying.  Their roster has 10 MLS players, but the rest playing in Europe, including Davies with Bayern Munich.

Belgium is obviously a tough match.  But if they can beat Morocco, and then maybe stand a chance against Croatia...

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on September 27, 2022, 01:32:12 PMAnd the Moroccans will have a climate advantage I guess.

Or are these stadia all indoor and air conned?

IIRC open, but air-conned.

Jacob

Barrister

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2022, 12:50:32 PMCanada's obviously not winning the World Cup, but I was hopeful they might advance out of the group phase.

They won't BB. Nor do they even expect to. Canada has at best 3 top tier players. they will be playing against teams with 11 top tier players + a bunch on the bench. It's a different league all together. Imagine Canadian hockey teams playing against---oh...England. Canada's coach has admitted there is a huge gap between them and Belgium and Croatia, and Morocco's one of the best teams in Africa.

I think you underestimate Croatia, who just won their group in the nations cup. I think they're better than Belgium. And Morocco will be tough.

I'm not pissing on Canada, I want to see them do well too, but one needs to lower expectations. This is a good warm up for what will come in 2026.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Maybe we can pull off an Iceland. We're a cold country too :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2022, 07:02:11 PMMaybe we can pull off an Iceland. We're a cold country too :D

That's exactly what my brother said.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on September 27, 2022, 07:04:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2022, 07:02:11 PMMaybe we can pull off an Iceland. We're a cold country too :D

That's exactly what my brother said.  :lol:

They need to come up with an inspirational dance, that's their one failing it would seem.