News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I don't think I've ever had a bite of Portagee food.  Pretty sure I've never even seen a Portagee restaurant.

And I even dated a half Portagee chick in Boston.

Admiral Yi

I have, however, had a sip of port.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2022, 06:21:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2022, 06:14:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 01, 2022, 06:08:37 PMCongrats. Get some custard tarts to celebrate :D

No clue what you're talking about.  :)

Pasteis de nata, a Portuguese delicacy.

:mmm:

Colleague's boyfriend is Portuguese. It was her birthday this week, so her bf made a bunch of them and she brought them to the office. Another Portuguese co-worker occasionally brings some. The ones I had in Lisbon were also excellent. There's actually a Portuguese restaurant in Vienna where you can buy them fresh, too. Excellent with a  sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Wasn't convinced with Lampard being appointed - and the points don't show it at the minute. But I'm feeling quietly positive about Everton - cue catastrophic run of form; somehow Kenny Dalglish is manager; relegation; administration :weep: :ph34r:

Didn't get players everywhere we needed to - and we desperately need another forward - but it feels like we've just had the first coherent transfer window since Farhad Moshiri came in where you can understand the logic of all the signings. Plus it's a nice mix of more experienced players like Coady and Tarkowski with young ones like Onana and McNeill (astonished to find that he's only 22-3 because in my head everyone who plays for Sean Dyche is at least 27 :lol:) and kept Goron who is an exciting academy product.

I always thought Lampard was a decent coach and I think he's showing that again with a few younger players especially improving visibly (Iwobi, Gordon, Mykolenko, Patterson). But I always thought he was basically a bit out of his depth and could do attacking football but that was kind of it - but so far this season we look pretty solid defensively and it feels like he's found a system that works. For the first time in ages it feels like there's one or two missing pieces rather than needing a massive overhaul (it helps that a lot of deadwood - Sigurdsson, Tosun, Delph etc - on big paydays are now out of contract).
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Yeah, Everton were really impressive today. Could have easily ended with a win against Liverpool.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Disallowing West Ham's second goal was a total farce. Overruling a correct decision to allow the goal through a terrible decision by VAR.

This and the Cucurella hair pull are just  :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

Fun Liverpool Everton match.

My highlight clips have started skipping the TAKING OF THE KNEE.  They need to think about a graceful exit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2022, 10:27:59 PMFun Liverpool Everton match.

My highlight clips have started skipping the TAKING OF THE KNEE.  They need to think about a graceful exit.
They're not doing it at every game anymore.

It's now being used at "significant" moments - so they will at certain matches such as the FA Cup and Carabao Cup final, Boxing Day matches and the Premier League's No Room for Racism games.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

https://twitter.com/cantdrawarsenal/status/1566386637172506626?t=Si-lxmhKbzVfDeATEaw7AA&s=19

QuoteAfter discussing it with family and friends, buying a 64 pack of stress balls, running two marathons in a row, and ignoring advice from my conglomerate of mental health experts, I have decided to watch Arsenal today.

FunkMonk

So Arsenal lost at Old Trafford, as is tradition, but it felt like old times.

Arsenal playing reasonably well, playing pretty football and getting decent chances but not putting them away, and United playing pragmatic, counterattacking football where they overcome Arsenal's pressure and change the game in a flash.

Not sure what this means but it's interesting to see United's turn around with Ten Hag and Arsenal's with Arteta.

Jacob

FC Copenhagen made it to the Champions League, which is pretty good. Their group opponents are Borussia Dortmund, Sevilla, and Manchester City. It may be a bit of a tall order to pass through that group, if I'm perfectly honest.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on August 30, 2022, 05:31:25 PMIs anyone following the Pogba blackmail story?

In France, yes.  :P
Poor Pogba had just a knee operation so he won't play the WC in Qatar (blessing in disguise?).

On ne choisit pas sa famille...

The Larch

Tuchel sacked from Chelsea after last night's defeat against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League. It seems like the new American owner is not of the patient sort...

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on September 07, 2022, 04:58:07 AMTuchel sacked from Chelsea after last night's defeat against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League. It seems like the new American owner is not of the patient sort...

Damn. I mean, how can we possibly get a better coach than him now that we are a mid-tier team with a non-bottomless budget?

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on September 07, 2022, 05:07:10 AMnow that we are a mid-tier team with a non-bottomless budget?

:rolleyes: