News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Apparently UEFA will allow standing areas in stadiums for this coming season.

FunkMonk

The cat is out of the bag. One of the alleged victims publicly identified Thomas Partey as her rapist and tweeted some her text chains on Twitter.

Supposedly, Partey isn't being charged with rape in her case because of a technicality with the law so she's gone public. Of course now she is being viciously attacked on Twitter, and people tweeting their support for her are attracting the typical idiots in response. It's the absolute worst of tribalistic football culture.

Football fucking sucks man.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

Indeed. In the game Fenerbahce against Dynamo Kyiv the other day, the Turkish "fans" were chanting Putin's name.

Beautiful game but worst fan base.

Josquius

So... Women's euro final coming up.

It's been interesting to see quite how many women's games had huge scorelines, even between decent teams.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Good job gals. Germans were playing like they were in a demolition derby.

FunkMonk

England finally did it  :bowler:  :bowler:  :bowler:  :bowler:  :bowler:

Sheilbh

It has also just been lovely hearing how these players have become absolute heroes for young girls across the country. Saw a former England player talking with a journalist about doing a girls' summer football camp in her village in Cheshire. At the start of the summer she was planning one or two teams - she's now got six (and that was before the final).

Edit: Also just great how the players have not all been media trained so much they've got no personality left. Some absolutely hilarious, really happy interviews - German players (some know the England players) came out after they'd changed so even a couple of them got interviewed and were saying they want this tournament to be a start because I think it's had double the attendance of previous tournaments and sold out Wembley twice. Really hope that happens (and absolutely love the BBC host, Gabby Logan, and pundits Ian Wright and Alex Scott layng into the people in charge of the WSL and telling people to go to games and not watch it on TV :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Hopefully this supercharges women's football in England the way 1999 did for American women.

celedhring

I'm a bit flabbergasted to see some Brit friends that I thought would know better moaning that "this is not the same achievement as if the men won it".

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 31, 2022, 03:17:33 PMI'm a bit flabbergasted to see some Brit friends that I thought would know better moaning that "this is not the same achievement as if the men won it".

I am curious to see how things go.
Those who would be keen to go engerrrlaaannnd and boost up any success, especially vs the Germans, have a very circular Venn with those who seem offended that women's football is even a thing
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 31, 2022, 02:43:54 PMHopefully this supercharges women's football in England the way 1999 did for American women.
That's the example everyone was talking about tonight.

I slightly wish that English/European football hadn't gone down the model of womens' clubs being part of existing football clubs. On the one hand it makes sense because there's an existing fanbase, on the other it feels like there's a real risk they just make the same mistake/have the same forces driving them as the men's game which is not great (on a purely personal level it makes little distance because Everton are just as bad in both leagues :lol: :weep:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Agreed. It was nice before hand when you had some recognisable teams in the top league but then some oddities also.
Plus the change over to the super league was really broken with Sunderland being relegated 2 divisions for no reason <_<
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 31, 2022, 02:43:54 PMHopefully this supercharges women's football in England the way 1999 did for American women.
17.5 million people watching at the peak (not including pubs and public screens). Last time England were in a final was 2009 and 1.5 million people watched. So I think and hope somethings changed now in interest levels.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2022, 04:48:06 AM
17.5 million people watching at the peak (not including pubs and public screens). Last time England were in a final was 2009 and 1.5 million people watched. So I think and hope somethings changed now in interest levels.

I hope so, but Quatar might be distorting the picture.