News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2022, 11:55:11 AMAndreas Christensen from Chelsea to Barca.

That was known for months, Christensen's performance fell off a massive cliff the moment he agreed with Barca.

The Larch

QuotePremier League footballer arrested by Met police on suspicion of rape

A leading Premier League footballer has been arrested on suspicion of rape and taken into custody by the Metropolitan police.

The 29-year-old was detained in the early hours of Monday and is being questioned by officers. A statement from Scotland Yard said that the alleged offence occurred last month.

"On 4 July an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police," it read. "It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.

"On 4 July a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody where he remains. Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."

The player cannot currently be named.

Sooo, any idea about who can be the culprit?

Admiral Yi

Interesting that he can't be named.

The Larch

So, rumours of CR to Chelsea are floating around, which fits the bill of a club with a new owner that want to make a statement signing. But apparently Tuchel is not convinced, given how Cristiano plays at the moment (no defensive contributions, no pressing, nothing off the ball can be expected of him) and his massive wages (I heard somewhere that he's on 500k per week, highest on the Premier League, which sounds absolutely nuts). CR wants out of Man United because he's not sure they can compete at the top level and he wants to still challenge for titles and play the Champions League. If he is still at that level doesn't seem to enter his calculations.

It seems to me that CR has finally reached the white elephant stage of his career.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2022, 03:24:55 AMInteresting that he can't be named.

I believe that it's the same over here and suspects can't be publicly named, but are sometimes given their initials in press releases from the police. No idea about at which point they can be named, maybe when the accusations are confirmed in court?

Tamas

Please no CR to Chelsea, please.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on July 05, 2022, 01:18:24 AMSpurs signed Richarlison :bleeding:

Dude is a shit-stirrer of some magnitude. I can see this backfiring.
You'll love him. He's really hard-working defensively and good.

He always looks like he's got a cob in if he doesn't score or we don't win but there's been no issues with him in terms of conduct - from all accounts he's really popular with the team as well as the fans. I've not heard anything about him being a shit stirrer.

He is a great example of one of those players that you love if he's in your team but think is an absolute shithouse if he's not. And I think he is incredibly well suited to Conte.

Really sad to see him go because he's been great for us - but it is fair enough that he wants to move up :( :cry:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on July 05, 2022, 01:18:24 AMSpurs signed Richarlison :bleeding:

Dude is a shit-stirrer of some magnitude. I can see this backfiring.

He's a solid player and like Sheilbh said he fits into Conte's style of shithousing counterattacking terrorist football. He's a good pick up for you and makes Spurs better. Along with Bissouma, he solidifies a hardworking team in support of your two world class strikers.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2022, 03:19:02 AM

A leading Premier League footballer has been arrested on suspicion of rape and taken into custody by the Metropolitan police.

The 29-year-old was detained in the early hours of Monday and is being questioned by officers. A statement from Scotland Yard said that the alleged offence occurred last month.

"On 4 July an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police," it read. "It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.

"On 4 July a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody where he remains. Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."

This is going the rounds in the Arsenal online discourse because, according to the news, rumors, and coincidences reported, it fits Thomas Partey. The discord server I'm on is insane right now.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2022, 03:27:50 AMI believe that it's the same over here and suspects can't be publicly named, but are sometimes given their initials in press releases from the police. No idea about at which point they can be named, maybe when the accusations are confirmed in court?
I think they can be named once they're charged - but all the way through there will be very strict reporting restrictions on what can be said by the media.

It will cause rumours which may target the wrong person (which is not great) but become obvious at some point when an Arsenal or Spurs player in their late 20s doesn't pop-up in their pre-season games/training. But it won't be confirmed. I think technically Sigurdsson hasn't been named yet as he keeps being released on bail but formal proceedings haven't started but everyone knows it's about him.

They wouldn't get initials in court proceedings here unless they were children or there was some other reason not to identify the person. Generally once it's in court it can be reported (subject to strict rules - basically you can only report what is happening/said in court).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 05, 2022, 08:51:24 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2022, 03:19:02 AM

This is going the rounds in the Arsenal online discourse because, according to the news, rumors, and coincidences reported, it fits Thomas Partey. The discord server I'm on is insane right now.

There must be a bunch of other players that fit the bill, right? What is known exactly? That the player is 29, an international and World Cup bound, I think. I guess that only in the London teams you'll have several dudes that could fit that profile, and it was not said if he actually played for a London team or not (although I guess it's the likeliest option).

Sheilbh

He lives in Barnet. So probably a North London team.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/05/premier-league-star-arrested-suspicion-two-new-rape-attacks/

Two more rape allegations. Christ.

Quote"While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s. He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in August. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2022, 03:25:39 AMSo, rumours of CR to Chelsea are floating around, which fits the bill of a club with a new owner that want to make a statement signing. But apparently Tuchel is not convinced, given how Cristiano plays at the moment (no defensive contributions, no pressing, nothing off the ball can be expected of him) and his massive wages (I heard somewhere that he's on 500k per week, highest on the Premier League, which sounds absolutely nuts). CR wants out of Man United because he's not sure they can compete at the top level and he wants to still challenge for titles and play the Champions League. If he is still at that level doesn't seem to enter his calculations.

It seems to me that CR has finally reached the white elephant stage of his career.

AS (Spanish sports source "newspaper" for the non-Spanish people around) said Mendes went to Barcelona to discuss Ronaldo as well.  :P
Well, Mendes has other (Portuguese) players in Barcelona to manage, besides Ronaldo, but the former makes for a better headline.  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2022, 09:45:03 AMHe lives in Barnet. So probably a North London team.

Aren't all the teams from North London anyway?  :hmm:

In any case I guess that this guy will end up suspended with his career basically over, like Man City's Mendy, right?