And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

In other football news, League of Nations that is :

Belgium 1 Netherlands 4
A thrashing, Belgium is on the way down, unless Martinez makes some radical changes, something he is not known for.

Croatia 0 Austria 3
Syt must be happy, no Croats to make noisy celebrations.  :P A bit flattering for Austria, but deserved.

Earlier on

Spain 1 Portugal 1

First half was for Spain, but they kind of gave up on playing after scoring the goal. Even an uninspired, conservative tactical setup by Fernando Santos (Moutinho as a 6 ? Really?) managed to equalise.
Not so great game, with some controversy around possible off-sides.

The other game of the group saw Czechia winning against Switzerland (not seen).

Czechia first of the group, for now.

Duque de Bragança

More League of Nations and upset of the day:

Hungary 1 England 0

Penalty open to discussion but it's not as if England played well.

Now playing Italy-Germany.

After losing the Finalissima, Italy is again in the rough...

Josquius

Watched a chunk of the England game.
League of nations is just friendlies, confirmed.

I'm surprised the stadium was so empty. Does Hungary have a partial ban or so? Would have thought their ultras would be keen to fight with England.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on June 04, 2022, 03:08:18 PMWatched a chunk of the England game.
I really enjoyed the first Nations League - and I think it's been a little bit ruined by covid.

Because I think it should be a non-tournament year competition (which I think was how it was meant to be until covid pushed the Euros back) and linked, I forget how exactly, to qualification. But it's just all been compressed because of covid and the Euros being moved and the winter world cup etc. It just feels like Europe's Copa America now where I'm permanently surprised that it's happening again :lol: :blush:

Hopefully it'll get back to that after the nonsense in Qatar - but until then I totally agree with de Bruyne.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

This England result looms large. I predict the USA will thump ENG 5-0 in their match with the Three Lions. More like Paper Lions
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 04, 2022, 06:27:16 PMThis England result looms large. I predict the USA will thump ENG 5-0 in their match with the Three Lions. More like Paper Lions

Such bragadoccio :lol: 

FunkMonk

I also predict Canada make it out of their group  ;)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on June 04, 2022, 03:08:18 PMWatched a chunk of the England game.

I'm surprised the stadium was so empty. Does Hungary have a partial ban or so? Would have thought their ultras would be keen to fight with England.

It wasn't a partial ban it was a total ban. But by UEFA rules gratis tickets such as ones you can give to schools or VIPs are exempt so the Hungarians managed to hand out 30 thousands of them, making a mockery out of the ban, especially as the crowd proceeded to boo England taking the knee, which was the reason for the ban in the first place.

Sheilbh

Which was particularly grim as, from what I understand, the stadium was mostly filled with kids.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Duque de Bragança

WC play-off

Wales 1 Ukraine 0 with only 5 or so minutes left to play. :(

Sheilbh

As with Scotland quite emotional scenes in the Wales-Ukraine game and Ukrainian fans chanting ZSU (for Armed Forces of Ukraine). Lots of Wales fans on Twitter sharing the "are we the baddies?" meme as they're ahead following an own goal by Yarmolenko. Again not something Wales fans often experience that I think everyone in the world would quite like them to lose :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 04, 2022, 09:52:53 PMI also predict Canada make it out of their group  ;)

looks through checklist -

Not Tim - check
knowledgeable poster - check

Result: have reason for optimism

Duque de Bragança

League of Nations

Portugal 3 Switzerland 0 (half-time)

Switzerland had some very rough 10 minutes with two goals suffered. Already two goals by CR7, who also failed two great chances as well.
Early on, the Helvetians had a disallowed goal for a handball, so the Selecção was not as imperial as the score would show.
Bruno Fernandes is not a total burden, but Diogo Jota is in top form for assists.

Czechia 1 Spain 1 (half-time)

Bad start for the Roja but they equalized.  :hmm:

Barrister

Wow - really sucks Ukraine lost in the final qualifier as a result of an own-goal. :(

Nothing against Wales mind you, and they should be excited to go to their first World Cup in 60+ years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.