News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2022, 06:49:27 PMLet's score a goal first, ok?

I think they will. if Canada has anything going for them, it's a fairly formidable offence.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2022, 10:49:12 PMI just want the US to beat Iran. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, since you were quite happy with the '98 World Cup, beginning of the Footix era.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 02, 2022, 05:41:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2022, 06:49:27 PMLet's score a goal first, ok?

I think they will. if Canada has anything going for them, it's a fairly formidable offence.

Yeah scoring is not a problem. I think GF was referring to the last time Canada appeared in the World Cup though.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2022, 06:45:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2022, 10:49:12 PMI just want the US to beat Iran. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, since you were quite happy with the '98 World Cup, beginning of the Footix era.  :P

I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO THROW THAT IN MY FACE!

The worst part is I watched that in France with two drunk Iranian-Quebecois.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2022, 07:10:16 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2022, 06:45:22 AM

I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO THROW THAT IN MY FACE!

The worst part is I watched that in France with two drunk Iranian-Quebecois.

:lol:

I watched it in England in a pub near Coventry, with the English around having a few laughs with the result.

FunkMonk

Looks like Conte has Spurs rolling again. I thought after the loss to United they would wither away but Conte is still a great manager and Kane and Son are still two of the best forwards in the league.

4th place will go down to the last game or so, I think. Hopefully Arsenal don't drop too many points in the run in.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Tierney out with a knee injury for the rest of the season and Arsenal go 2 goals down within the first 25 minutes at Palace. Your regularly scheduled late-season Arsenal collapse is indeed happening  :lol:  :(

All Conte has to do now is keep Kane and Son happy and with their relatively easy schedule Top 4 is basically secure for Spurs now. Congrats Zoupa.

Zoupa

We've been up and down all season, and Arsenal won their last 5 league games... It's not done yet.

But that rescheduled derby game looks decisive. Unless Arteta goes crying to the leage again about not having enough players.  :rolleyes:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on April 04, 2022, 02:51:53 PMWe've been up and down all season, and Arsenal won their last 5 league games... It's not done yet.

But that rescheduled derby game looks decisive. Unless Arteta goes crying to the leage again about not having enough players.  :rolleyes:

Arsenal have both their starting fullbacks out now, probably for the rest of the season, and both have been integral in Arsenal's defensive solidity over the season.

I was worried about another long-term injury precisely because the bench is really thin. With Tierney out the defensive balance is all gone. The NLD will just be Kane and Son skipping past our backup fullbacks and I'll have to turn the TV off at half time.  :cry:

FunkMonk

Confirmed now Tierney is out for the rest of the season. Apparently his knee exploded sometime around the international break yet he played through 180 minutes for Scotland anyway. Stupid.

Thomas Partey, probably the most important player in the squad as far as how the team currently plays, is out for probably month with a recurring injury picked up again against Palace.

That's the season done then. I feel bad for them because this team has a lot of talent and guts and they have a great relationship with the fans. The youngest team in the league playing fantastic football getting Champions League football over Manchester United and their north London rival in their first attempt would have been wonderful for them. Gutted.

Arsenal supporters are despondent. Haven't seen it like this since losing to Villarreal in the Europa league semifinal last season. :lol:

Sheilbh

Jesus Christ :bleeding: :weep:
QuoteEverton have been the worst team in Europe since the 1st of October.[7 months & counting]

The 12 points that have been picked up since that date is the fewest among all teams in Europe's Top 5 Leagues.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Yeah, looking at their fixture list it looks like curtains. My condolences Sheilbh.  :console:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Saw this the other day.
Seems at least it'll be like Sunderlands 00s relegations rather than the most recent one.

https://youtu.be/DFPMuckhYOY
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

This thread is continuing to serve as my coping mechanism as Arsenal get smashed at home by Brighton  :lol:  :glare:

Again, losing Tierney and Partey at the same time was effectively the end of the season. Arteta doesn't know how to quickly scrap together a serviceable team after losing big players to injuries, especially with such a thin squad as it is, so Arsenal are just going to play like they've never touched a football in their lives for at least a month. I suspect 7th or even 8th is again their final position on the table.

Spurs 4th, United 5th, West Ham 6th, Arsenal 7th is my prediction.