Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2022, 02:11:38 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 01:57:39 PM:menace:
England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

All over again before one of the worst ever English tournament performances :lol: :bleeding:

QuoteFull England World Cup squad numbers

1. David James
2. Glen Johnson
3. Ashley Cole
4. Steven Gerrard
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. John Terry
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Frank Lampard
9. Peter Crouch
10. Wayne Rooney
11. Joe Cole
12. Robert Green
13. Stephen Warnock
14. Gareth Barry
15. Matthew Upson
16. James Milner
17. Shaun Wright-Phillips
18. Jamie Carragher
19. Jermain Defoe
20. Ledley King
21. Emile Heskey
22. Michael Carrick
23. Joe Hart

God I hated the England squad back then. Filled with absolute shits  :lol:

England now are a group of likeable (except Kane :bleeding: ) and really talented young lads  with a good manager so I hope they qualify along with the U.S.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 02:21:45 PMGod I hated the England squad back then. Filled with absolute shits  :lol:
LEAVE EMILE HESKEY ALONE! :o :P

QuoteEngland now are a group of likeable (except Kane :bleeding: ) and really talented young lads  with a good manager so I hope they qualify along with the U.S.
Yeah. Agree on Kane - I can't remember who it was who said it but the line about him looking like a junior officer about to go over the top has always stuck with me and I just find it impossible to warm to him, even though I've loads of Spurs-supporting friends who obviously quite like him (which normally works by osmosis).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

No matter how likeable the squad may be, you still have the roadblock that is the fans (sorry sheilbh :console: )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2022, 01:43:19 PMAt this rate Canada will win a World Cup before Toronto wins a Stanley cup :D

That was always going to be true.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 02:21:45 PMGod I hated the England squad back then. Filled with absolute shits  :lol:
:lol: Rob Green is trending. Poor guy.

QuoteNo matter how likeable the squad may be, you still have the roadblock that is the fans (sorry sheilbh :console: )
Oh that's fair - most people in England don't like them. They're the people you pray won't get on your carriage on the train :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Defoe and crouch are notable exceptions on that past England squad being shits.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Always have a soft spot for when he was asked what he'd be if he wasn't a footballer and said "a virgin" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Just for shits and giggles, I looked up potential round of 16 opponents.

Group F plays against 1st and 2nd place in group E.

So thats... Spain / Germany.

Well I guess we now know the outer limit of how far Canada will go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

It's the WC beeb, you never know.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2022, 01:35:08 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 01:03:21 PMEh, it's the World Cup and Canada was in Pot 4. There were worse possibilities. I can see them in 2nd behind Belgium. Croatia aren't what they were four years ago. Belgium aren't either, but they have better players across the board than any of the other teams in the group.

Assuming Canada beats Morocco, which you will have to to have a chance, get a draw against Croatia and hope the other results go your way.

Other than pot A I don't necessarily see any easier groupings.

Have to go at it with the thought that if we can beat US and Mexico, then no reason we can't try to beat Croatia and Morocco, and just hope to keep things close with Belgium.

But who knows - November is a long ways away.

Group B is still bonkers though.

Yeah...though Croatia is a finalist from the last world cup. Look, I don't think anyone expects Canada to get out of the group...but in tournament play anything can happen.

If Canada does finish second and qualifies.....they play the winner of Spain's group.  :cry:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Let's score a goal first, ok?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2022, 06:49:27 PMLet's score a goal first, ok?

GF - I don't think anyone is predicting much of anything for Canada.  I said making it out of the group stage is the outer limit of what we can even hope to expect - lower bound is failing to score a goal.

Fun fact for this group of countries though - of Belgium, Croatia and Morocco Canada is both the largest in terms of area (d'uh), but also in terms of population.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I just want the US to beat Iran. Is that too much to ask?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2022, 10:49:12 PMI just want the US to beat Iran. Is that too much to ask?

I imagine that'll be a tough game. The Iranian players offered mountains of jewels if they win.

If wales qualify it bodes well for building American understanding of the UK.
If its Scotland it'll just be braveheart nonsense.
Ukraine deserve it of course.
██████
██████
██████