News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2022, 01:12:46 PMThat's dumb if you ask me but then Europe does not work that way, with no Little ethnic enclaves until recently, at least for European immigration.
I remember hearing about the Greek-Portuguese alliance in Orléans vs Turks once.  :D

Neighbours so competition for jobs and housing between immigrants?

They come here and do the same jobs (construction) and their wives do the same jobs (housekeeping)and they live near each other. You know what they say, you hate those that remind you of yourself :D

There's a good soccer following in the city. TFC games get quite entertaining in the stands. Used to have a Guyanese friend. Went to a couple games with him. They're a hoot. Drums and singing and the like. Haven't been in years though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2022, 12:37:24 PMDanes will be happy to know that their squad plays les Bleus twice before the World Cup, for the Nations League tournament.

Good times.

I had, of course, hoped for Qatar. Playing France is not ideal, obviously, but there's no helping it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on April 01, 2022, 01:28:13 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2022, 12:37:24 PMDanes will be happy to know that their squad plays les Bleus twice before the World Cup, for the Nations League tournament.

Good times.

I had, of course, hoped for Qatar. Playing France is not ideal, obviously, but there's no helping it.

The French press and fans are quick to remind that when les Bleus had Denmark in 1998 and 2018 they would become eventually World Champions.
Obviously, 2002 is not part of the reminder, nor the Euro 92.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 01:03:21 PMEh, it's the World Cup and Canada was in Pot 4. There were worse possibilities. I can see them in 2nd behind Belgium. Croatia aren't what they were four years ago. Belgium aren't either, but they have better players across the board than any of the other teams in the group.

Assuming Canada beats Morocco, which you will have to to have a chance, get a draw against Croatia and hope the other results go your way.

Other than pot A I don't necessarily see any easier groupings.

Have to go at it with the thought that if we can beat US and Mexico, then no reason we can't try to beat Croatia and Morocco, and just hope to keep things close with Belgium.

But who knows - November is a long ways away.

Group B is still bonkers though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

No one outside of CONCACAF rates Canada at all. I can see Canada surprising the other teams in their group.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

At this rate Canada will win a World Cup before Toronto wins a Stanley cup :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 01:41:38 PMNo one outside of CONCACAF rates Canada at all. I can see Canada surprising the other teams in their group.

Fair enough - we don't have any big names (other than Davies).  Our roster has a lot of MLS players, and of the ones playing in Europe they're not on top-tier teams (other than Davies).

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 01:41:38 PMNo one outside of CONCACAF rates Canada at all. I can see Canada surprising the other teams in their group.

When Danish pundits were picking the ideal group it was Qatar, Tunesia, and Canada. The assessment was "it's many years since Canada has been to the cup. They did well winning the CONCACAF qualification group, but they are not an experienced team."

But the being less known and under estimated can be an advantage. Certainly I hope Canada becomes one of the surprise stories of the World Cup :)

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Scotland or Wales kicking out England would be pretty fun too

Barrister

Yeah I wouldn't want to celebrate too hard England.

All those teams would be highly motivated to beat England, and England will be tempted to take their opposition too lightly.

Well maybe not Ukraine, but assuming they're able to play and make it to the World Cup they'll also be on a huge emotional high.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 01:57:39 PM:menace:
England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

All over again before one of the worst ever English tournament performances :lol: :bleeding:

I think I'm probably going to ignore this World Cup though :(

But there doesn't seem to be a group of death :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Looking at the tournament chart...

Portugal better be first of its group or it's most likely Brazil in the Round of 16 (1st H vs 2nd G and 1st G vs 2nd H).
A bit early, better leave that for Uruguay, for a game with garra  :P

If first, revenge vs Serbia (goal line technology this time), Switzerland or Cameroon.

Of course, Deschamps being a lucky bastard, les Bleus have a somewhat easy group and the good side of the tournament chart. Ending second could mean Argentina though. Otherwise, Mexico or Poland (Saudi Arabia less likely).

PS: all right, England is not so bad as well, but beware the tabloid curse, as Sheilbh points out.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2022, 02:11:38 PMBut there doesn't seem to be a group of death :hmm:

Germany / Spain / Japan no?

(plus Costa Rica / New Zealand)

Duque de Bragança

Nah, Germany and Spain are really top favorites, plus two spots to qualify for the round of 16.