News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I bet Qatar has never been so popular as it is in the moments of the draw. Everyone's hoping for Qatar in their group.

Josquius

I remember the first FIFA Soccer game on the Mega Drive.
I was just a kid, so I liked winning. Picking EA All Stars was just the sensible thing to do.
And then you picked as an opponent the worst team in the game, these guys called 'Qatar'.
I didn't even know that was a real place. I thought they were just Quitters.
90s children unite.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I go back and forth on wanting Canada to be in Qatar's group.

I mean, obviously, it's the easiest in Pod A by a long shot (they're ranked 51st in the world).

But on the other hand Canada's not going to win this thing.  So wouldn't it be better to see how we match up against a real powerhouse like say Brazil?

But on the third hand, wouldn't it be better still to make it to the knock-off round where you're going to get a powerhouse anyways, plus with no risk of a boring draw?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2022, 11:23:06 AMI remember the first FIFA Soccer game on the Mega Drive.
I was just a kid, so I liked winning. Picking EA All Stars was just the sensible thing to do.
And then you picked as an opponent the worst team in the game, these guys called 'Qatar'.
I didn't even know that was a real place. I thought they were just Quitters.
90s children unite.

First FIFA for the Mega Drive? Yeah, I remember this one. Quite popular back then, with only ISS Deluxe on the SNES as a rival.

FunkMonk

My favorite thing about these draws is the host always dragging out these montages and ceremonies just to pull some goddamn balls out of pots.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Maladict

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 11:37:30 AMMy favorite thing about these draws is the host always dragging out these montages and ceremonies just to pull some goddamn balls out of pots.

And then it gets even worse and they drag out Lothar Matthaeus.

Duque de Bragança

Iran and the U.S in the same group would be entertaining albeit hardly new.

Maladict

I'll take that back, Lothar  :Embarrass:

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2022, 11:26:47 AMI go back and forth on wanting Canada to be in Qatar's group.

I mean, obviously, it's the easiest in Pod A by a long shot (they're ranked 51st in the world).

But on the other hand Canada's not going to win this thing.  So wouldn't it be better to see how we match up against a real powerhouse like say Brazil?

But on the third hand, wouldn't it be better still to make it to the knock-off round where you're going to get a powerhouse anyways, plus with no risk of a boring draw?

A lot of FIFA Ranking points are given for good results at the WC IIRC, so getting a win or two would have practical results for Canada. Plus give you all a nice night out.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Dutch got Qatar. The dream is over.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2022, 11:55:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2022, 11:26:47 AMI go back and forth on wanting Canada to be in Qatar's group.

A lot of FIFA Ranking points are given for good results at the WC IIRC, so getting a win or two would have practical results for Canada. Plus give you all a nice night out.

Nice night out in November in Canada?  :hmm: This is not a Summer World cup, remember?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2022, 11:56:19 AMDutch got Qatar. The dream is over.

Lucky bastards. Anything less than a 3-0 against the Wahhabis is a defeat.  :P

Spain-Germany in the same group. Well, tougher for them than last time.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2022, 11:58:08 AMNice night out in November in Canada?  :hmm: This is not a Summer World cup, remember?

What do you think we do for 6-8 months of the year - huddle in our igloos?

Bars would be packed for a World Cup game (though I wonder what time they'd wind up being played)?

Barrister

So England - US?

Spain - Germany?

Argentina - Mexico?

:hmm:

FunkMonk