News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I feel that African teams have been talked up for so long that now they are talked down. If that makes sense.

Zoupa

I watched a bit of the ACN and the quality was just terrible. It surprised me because lots of teams have players in top leagues.

My guess is the national teams don't have the same training facilities and maybe time together that the big European teams have.

FunkMonk

Yeah, that's fair. Wouldn't be unexpected for Senegal to fail to meet expectations. At the same time, they have a special group of players: Mendy in goal, Koulibaly in front of him, and of course Sadio Mane, along with decent supporting players.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Yeah, I still wouldn't want to have Senegal in my group. Maybe neither Morocco. Tunisia should be weaker. Japan or South Korea could also be problematic, no idea about Iran. Poland should be sturdy and they have Lewandowski in maybe his swam song in international competitions, but they've failed to impress lately. Serbia don't have an impressive squad but they're the kind of team you can never rule out.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2022, 12:04:01 PMI feel that African teams have been talked up for so long that now they are talked down. If that makes sense.

Finally this time will be different! - said before every world Cup? :p

Sometime it will be but from my low level of knowledge I don't think this year is the one.

I wonder whether the climate might play in their favour at the least.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Poland is no Bayern Munich despite sharing Lewandowski. The only other decent player is Zielinski.

At least they got rid of Paulo Sousa.  :P

Barrister

I've been playing around with a WC Draw Simulator:

https://draw.inker.one/#/wc/gs

I just got the following: 

Group A
Qatar
Croatia
Tunisia
Canada

Group B
Argentina
United States
Japan
UEFA

Group C
France
Uruguay
Iran
CONCACAF/OFC

Group D
Portugal
Switzerland
Morocco
AFC/CONMEBOL

Group E
Belgium
Mexico
Poland
Ecuador

Group F
England
Germany
Senegal
Saudi Arabia

Group G
Brazil
Denmark
Serbia
Cameroon

Group H
Spain
Netherlands
South Korea
Ghana

A pool with Qatar, Croatia and Tunisia?  Yes please. :)  And Group F looks amusing as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

That's a pretty good group you've got for Canada there :Canuck:

Josephus

I just got the following:

Group A
Qatar
Croatia
Tunisia
Canada

We can only hope.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2022, 05:09:38 PMI just got the following:

Group A
Qatar
Croatia
Tunisia
Canada

We can only hope.

That would be great.  I would be very happy with Croatia and Canada going through. 

Maladict

Got this from the virtual draw. Not great,not terrible.
For the countries in pot 1 and 2 it seems more important to draw the shittest possible sides from pot 3 and 4.

Apart from drawing Qatar, obviously.
Canada actually has a chance to get out of their group :P

Quote.
Group A
Qatar
Germany
Serbia
Canada
Avg. Ranking 1529

Group B
Brazil
Netherlands
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia
Avg. Ranking 1605

Group C
Spain
Switzerland
Korea Rep.
Ghana
Avg. Ranking 1562

Group D
Belgium
Uruguay
Senegal
Costa Rica*
Avg. Ranking 1637

Group E
Portugal
United States
Poland
Ecuador
Avg. Ranking 1576

Group F
Argentina
Mexico
Iran
Wales*
Avg. Ranking 1647

Group G
France
Croatia
Japan
Cameroon
Avg. Ranking 1611

Group H
England
Denmark
Morocco
Peru*
Avg. Ranking 1635

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on April 01, 2022, 04:27:15 AMGot this from the virtual draw. Not great,not terrible.
For the countries in pot 1 and 2 it seems more important to draw the shittest possible sides from pot 3 and 4.

Apart from drawing Qatar, obviously.
Canada actually has a chance to get out of their group :P
QuoteGroup B
Brazil
Netherlands
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia
Avg. Ranking 1605

Group D
Belgium
Uruguay
Senegal
Costa Rica*
Avg. Ranking 1637

Very good draw for the Netherlands and bad for Belgium, of course. Typical  :P

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2022, 08:33:40 AMVery good draw for the Netherlands and bad for Belgium, of course. Typical  :P

Portugal shouldn't complain either  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on April 01, 2022, 11:01:12 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 01, 2022, 08:33:40 AMVery good draw for the Netherlands and bad for Belgium, of course. Typical  :P

Portugal shouldn't complain either  :P

Better than 2018 is no great achievement, but you are right one can't be picky with what the Dutch offer.  :D

FunkMonk

Killing myself watching this sportswashing special that is the World Cup Draw so no one else here has to.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.