News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Languish Pepe fans will be happy to know that the Selecção qualifed for the Wahhabi Worldl Cup, in no small part thanks to Pepe great skill as a central back. Good performance by Danilo, a 6, but playing as central back.
Otavio, highlight of the previous game played well.
Only one (very decisive) assistance by CR7 to Bruno Fernandes, usually plaguing the Portuguese midfield, starting the game exactly as an impediment as nearly always, but who managed to score two goals.
Macedonian defense/phalanx not as good as against Italy (goals started as flukes by Macedonian defense).
Typical Santos, very limited risk taking, waiting out to counter Macedonia after the first goal.
Very late substitutions etc.

Portugal 2 North Macedonia 0

Poland 2 Sweden 0

Much more disputed game there, but no Zlatan in Qatar. :( Poland did the job on the second half.

celedhring

Gotta feel for Macedonia, they pull off the massive upset against Italy only to face another powerhouse and miss qualification.

FunkMonk

US getting dumpstered away at Costa Rica by their B team because CR is resting their first eleven in preparation for their playoff against New Zealand is peak US Men's National Team energy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 30, 2022, 09:41:44 PMUS getting dumpstered away at Costa Rica by their B team because CR is resting their first eleven in preparation for their playoff against New Zealand is peak US Men's National Team energy.

Don't care. Qualified baby!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2022, 10:03:08 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 30, 2022, 09:41:44 PMUS getting dumpstered away at Costa Rica by their B team because CR is resting their first eleven in preparation for their playoff against New Zealand is peak US Men's National Team energy.

Don't care. Qualified baby!

Not complaining, just noting how it wasn't unexpected. They effectively qualified against Panama after so having a downer against CR wasn't unexpected.

FunkMonk

The draw is this Friday. Here is how the pots look:

Pot 1 Qatar, Brazil, Belgium, France, Argentina, England, Spain, Portugal.

Pot 2 Mexico, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Uruguay, Switzerland, USA, Croatia.

Pot 3 Senegal, Iran, Japan, Morocco, Serbia, Poland, South Korea, Tunisia.

Pot 4 Cameroon, Canada, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Wales/Scotland/Ukraine, Costa Rica/New Zealand, Peru/UAE/Australia.

My dumb guess for the US: Qatar, Senegal, Ecuador

A group I would like to see: France, Germany, Senegal, Canada

Duque de Bragança

With Qatar in pot 1, pot 2 is almost as tough as pot 1
Also, since Euro qualifiers are not over yet due to the war and postponed games there could be still changes between pot 3 and 4.

That being said,

Group of Death :

Brazil, Germany, Serbia, Canada (assuming they are the best CONCACAF Team now).

Netherlands instead of Germany would also be quite tough. Even Argentina instead of Brazil would insure some interest.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 31, 2022, 09:15:41 AMA group I would like to see: France, Germany, Senegal, Canada

I used to like you

FunkMonk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 31, 2022, 11:01:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2022, 10:34:26 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 31, 2022, 09:15:41 AMA group I would like to see: France, Germany, Senegal, Canada

I used to like you

:D

It's a decent attempt at a Group of Death for Canada, to be honest.

Barrister

Interesting.  I had hoped Canada might make it into pot 3, but apparently not to be.  I mean - Canada in the world rankings is ranked behind Costa Rica, who didn't even qualify.

But honestly I don't know there's a big difference between the quality of pots 3 and 4 anyways.

So obviously you're going to hope to be put in a draw with Qatar, but a Canada vs any of the other teams in Pot 1 would be pretty cool to watch.  Given the family connection a Canada vs Brazil match would be highly entertaining. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Which are the stronger and weaker teams in the third pot? I have a good sense of where I'd place the teams in the first and second pots, but I don't have a good sense of the third one... which teams are the strongest there, and which are the weakest?

Duque de Bragança

My views on the matter  :P

Serbia or Sénégal (African champion) for the strongest, weakest South Korea or Tunisia.

FunkMonk

I'd say Senegal, Serbia, and Poland are the strongest teams in Pot 3. Unfamiliar with the other teams though, to be honest.

Weakest maybe Japan, Tunisia, or Iran?

Josquius

African teams have a habit of being talked up and then at the world Cup just failing to play for some reason.
██████
██████
██████