News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on March 25, 2022, 12:30:08 PMHit the post twice, and had full control of the 2nd half even 10 against 11. They made a push to qualify directly instead of tanking the game and getting fresher legs for the game against Jamaica.

Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

It's not really football if you don't spend most of the time anticipating a broken heart, while still holding on to your hopes.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on March 25, 2022, 12:50:06 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 25, 2022, 12:30:08 PMHit the post twice, and had full control of the 2nd half even 10 against 11. They made a push to qualify directly instead of tanking the game and getting fresher legs for the game against Jamaica.

It's not really football if you don't spend most of the time anticipating a broken heart, while still holding on to your hopes.

CONCACAF referees gonna CONCACAF and send a player off for literally zero valid reasons. It doesn't matter too much, anyway, because they'll smash Jamaica at home and be done with qualifying.

The US is still up in the air but a win at home against Panama should effectively seal at least a 4th place playoff against, uh, some terrible Oceania team.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2022, 12:58:24 PM

CONCACAF referees gonna CONCACAF and send a player off for literally zero valid reasons. It doesn't matter too much, anyway, because they'll smash Jamaica at home and be done with qualifying.

From your lips to the Football Gods' ears.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 11:45:11 AMI was not able to watch the game, but apparently - even down a player - the Canadian side peppered the Costa Rican net with shots, but could not get one to go in.

Yes Canada played very well. They got unlucky. But it won't matter in the end. I'll be in the stand at BMO on Sunday where they only need a point against plucky Jamaica. I'll be there when history is made.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

On the Chelsea front, it looks like the 4 remaining bids on the shortlist are all American-led bids. It will be interesting to see Chelsea's model transition into something like Liverpool's or Arsenal's corporate model.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2022, 02:15:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 11:45:11 AMI was not able to watch the game, but apparently - even down a player - the Canadian side peppered the Costa Rican net with shots, but could not get one to go in.

Yes Canada played very well. They got unlucky. But it won't matter in the end. I'll be in the stand at BMO on Sunday where they only need a point against plucky Jamaica. I'll be there when history is made.  :)

Bare in mind the manager is a Sunderland man
If there's a way to screw it up at the last minute he will take a shot at it.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on March 25, 2022, 05:27:55 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2022, 02:15:33 PM

Bare in mind the manager is a Sunderland man
If there's a way to screw it up at the last minute he will take a shot at it.

True that.   :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 27, 2022, 04:38:59 PMCongratulations Canada :cheers:

:Canuck:

W00t!

I hope Denmark and Canada don't end up in the same group. It'll be Hans Island for me all over again  :ph34r:

Josephus

fuck I'm drunk...at $15 a beer too, I'm also poor.

Go Canada

Civis Romanus Sum

Grey Fox

Woo.

I hope this time, we get to score a goal!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

5-1 for US means unless they have an epic collapse at Costa Rica and lose by 6, they'll qualify without having to go to a playoff against New Zealand.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 01:00:44 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2022, 12:58:24 PM

From your lips to the Football Gods' ears.

Thank you FunkMunk

FunkMonk

HVC

Watched the game yesterday at a bar with some friends. Talked to my mother after and found out Eustáquio is apparently a family friend. Family is from the village my mom's from and my cousin is friends with his mom.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.