News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Wow Barcelona, good stuff.

Quote"How did Barca become so good?" The answer is simple, just take a look at the posters on Xavi's wall #AFC #Arteta #Xavi #Barcelona #Arsenal https://t.co/aGtxdLHTCR
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

celedhring

Also, Aubameyang was just inches away from an El Clásico hat-trick, which would've been incredible  :lol:

The Larch

Maladict

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Twice in a row...LOL.

Hopefully Canadian Italians rally behind the red and white.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

4 hours to go until kick off.  I must admit I have never had this sense of excitement for a Canadian men's football match.

Duque de Bragança

Despite some clear improvements, compared to the last two games, a low point, such as a better choices in the starting XI, the Selecção managed to get some stressful last 30 minutes (third goal was in the stoppage time).

After leading 2-0 by half time against a disappointing yet hardly favourite Turkish squad, save Ünder, a fluke by the Portuguese "defense" allowed Yılmaz to score a goal at the 65th minute, relaunching Turkey. Then at the 85th minute, penalty for Turkey, following a foul by José Fonte.
Yılmaz to take it and...

Above the bar...

Fado 3 Kismet 1

Mateus scored a goal at the 94th, following some chances against now dispirited Turkish players.

Following the upset of the night, Italy 0 Macedonia 1, next game will be Portugal-Macedonia.  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Other European play-off games for the Wahhabi World Cup:

Wales 2 Austria 1

next game : Wales vs Ukraine (!) or Scotland (postponed due to the war)

Sweden 1 Czechia 0 (after overtime).

next game Sweden vs. Poland

Josquius

I wonder what they'll do with Ukraine. The war doesn't seem set to end any time soon.

Sweden and Poland are both (traditionally) decent and I'd have expected them in the world Cup. Let's see. Swedens squad still at worst ever levels?

Amazing Italy is out.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Italy, despite its pedigree, has had an abysmal WC performance lately. They haven't been to a WC knockout game since the 2006 final that they won. Since then they've been twice out at the group stage (2010 & 2014) and failed to qualify for the last two WCs (2018 & 2022). Their last actual victory in a WC game was against England in 2014.

They've performed much better in European Championships, though. QF in 2008 & 2016, Runner ups in 2012, and champions in 2020.

Duque de Bragança

(Septentrional) Macedonia beat Germany 1-0 during qualifyers (last Jögi game as German coach), in a game very similar to their victory against Italy yesterday.

crazy canuck

I was not able to watch the game, but apparently - even down a player - the Canadian side peppered the Costa Rican net with shots, but could not get one to go in.

Zoupa

Hit the post twice, and had full control of the 2nd half even 10 against 11. They made a push to qualify directly instead of tanking the game and getting fresher legs for the game against Jamaica.

Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.