News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Don't know about Marseille or pre-QSI PSG or really anything about French football so can't speak to any of that.

Actually, my one interaction with Frenchmen in person about French football elicited complete condemnation from them about how it was for unserious rubes and low-class people  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

That is a typical French bourgeois vision of football, as a matter of fact.  :cheers:

Jacob

You know what annoys me? All those jackasses who post "all goals and highlights" videos on youtube of matches that start with a few stills from the actual match and then shows EA Sports FIFA footage of the two teams playing.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on March 11, 2022, 02:42:13 AMYou know what annoys me? All those jackasses who post "all goals and highlights" videos on youtube of matches that start with a few stills from the actual match and then shows EA Sports FIFA footage of the two teams playing.

Yeah, fell for that a few times. Now I only watch stuff from official pages.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Man there are some pretty bloody selfish Chelsea fans out there, some complaining about not being able to buy tickets like it's the most important thing in the world, one interviewed said Abramovich had been set up. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Quote from: mongers on March 11, 2022, 10:20:50 AMMan there are some pretty bloody selfish Chelsea fans out there, some complaining about not being able to buy tickets like it's the most important thing in the world, one interviewed said Abramovich had been set up. :hmm:

Their away fans were chanting Abramovich's name yesterday at Norwich.

Sportswashing works exceedingly well.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 11, 2022, 10:42:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 11, 2022, 10:20:50 AMMan there are some pretty bloody selfish Chelsea fans out there, some complaining about not being able to buy tickets like it's the most important thing in the world, one interviewed said Abramovich had been set up. :hmm:

Their away fans were chanting Abramovich's name yesterday at Norwich.

Sportswashing works exceedingly well.

Yeah that's just despicable.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

I get their argument though. If you're a fan, you'd be annoyed that somehow you got wrapped up in this. If you buy a $80 ticket, none of that is going into his hands at this point.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I understand this question will sound naive and homerish, but has it been established that Abramovich got rich through illicit means?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2022, 03:06:02 PMI understand this question will sound naive and homerish, but has it been established that Abramovich got rich through illicit means?

I think the operative criterion is not "illicit" but "through connections with Putin and the Russian state."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2022, 03:06:02 PMI understand this question will sound naive and homerish, but has it been established that Abramovich got rich through illicit means?
Yes.

Like lots of the oligarchs he started with some time in prison in the early 90s - but his big break was becoming Berezovsky's business partner - so Yeltsin created Sibneft by presidential decree and sold it massively undervalue to Berezovsky and Abramovich in the loans-for-shares scheme (selling state assets at a cut rate price in exchange for loans to Yeltsin's re-election campaign). My undersatnding is Berezovsky was Abramovich's protection in the Yeltsin years, but then fell out with Putin while Abramovich remained loyal. In Londongrad news Berezovsky and Abramovich had a huge court case here over their assets - Jonathan Sumption who was Abramovich's QC reportedly earned £8 million from that one case and actually delayed joining the Supreme Court until the case was finished.

Plus I think he was involved in a few gang wars/Russian 90s style "hostile takeovers". In terms of the sanctions this is the UK's statement of reasons:
QuoteUK Statement of Reasons: Roman Arkadyevich ABRAMOVICH (hereafter ABRAMOVICH) is a prominent Russian businessman and pro-Kremlin oligarch. ABRAMOVICH is associated with a person who is or has been involved in destabilising Ukraine and undermining and threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Ukraine, namely Vladimir Putin, with whom ABRAMOVICH has had a close relationship for decades. This association has included obtaining a financial benefit or other material benefit from Putin and the Government of Russia. This includes tax breaks received by companies linked to ABRAMOVICH, buying and selling shares from and to the state at favourable rates, and the contracts received in the run up to the FIFA 2018 World Cup. Therefore, ABRAMOVICH has received preferential treatment and concessions from Putin and the Government of Russia. ABRAMOVICH is also associated with a person who is or has been involved in obtaining a benefit from or supporting the Government of Russia, namely: former First Deputy Prime Minister, and current Chairman of the Management Board for VEB, Igor Shuvalov; former General Director of Gazprom Investment Holdings, Alisher Usmanov, both of whom were sanctioned on 3 March 2022 for being involved persons in obtaining a benefit from or supporting the Russian government through carrying on business in a sector of strategic significance to the Russian government. ABRAMOVICH is associated with these individuals through close business relationships and mutual assistance, including ABRAMOVICH financing Shuvalov's trust and the subsequent loans from Shuvalov to enable Usmanov's purchase of a British mill. Furthermore, ABRAMOVICH is or has been involved in destabilising Ukraine and undermining and threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Ukraine, via Evraz PLC, a steel manufacturing and mining company in which ABRAMOVICH has a significant shareholding and over which ABRAMOVICH exercises effective control. Evraz PLC is or has been involved in providing financial services, or making available funds, economic resources, goods or technology that could contribute to destabilising Ukraine or undermining or threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty or independence of Ukraine – which includes potentially supplying steel to the Russian military which may have been used in the production of tanks. ABRAMOVICH exercises effective control of Evraz PLC given his significant shareholding and the shareholdings of his close associates who it is reasonable to expect ABRAMOVICH could direct through his close ties with Abramov and Shvidler, as well as his power to nominate directors of the board. ABRAMOVICH is or has been involved in obtaining a benefit from or supporting the Government of Russia, as ABRAMOVICH and Evraz PLC carry on business in sectors of strategic significance to the Government of Russia – namely the construction, defence and extractive sectors.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

QuotePremier League Communications
@PLComms
Following the sanctions by the UK Government, the Premier League Board has disqualified Roman Abramovich as a Director of Chelsea Football Club

The Board's decision does not impact on the club's ability to train and play its fixtures.
:lol:

So none of us should be surprised when, in 20 years time, following abundant war crimes and repressions of human rights the Premier League disqualifies MBS from running a football club :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

BTW, Portugal is also investigating the process through which Abramovich got the Portuguese citizenship.

FunkMonk

Ronaldo turning on God mode to end Spurs top 4 hopes was funny.

I look forward to Rangnick being forced to start Ronaldo for the rest of the season and then people asking why United finish outside top 4.