News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2024, 06:28:31 PMSeeing reports of Muslims in Toronto celebrating the Iranian strikes on Israel. Islam is a true cancer on the West. I hope its leaders wake up before it is too late—maybe the people will wake them up, since most of us do not want these people in our society.

I mean we have freedom of religion. However a huge amount of children born to Muslims apostatize, at least in the United States. The key is to continue to protect and ensure the rights of apostates and protect their ability to speak out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2024, 06:44:13 PMNetanyahu really shouldn't have bombed the Iranian embassy. We are trying to keep the whole world from spiraling out of control and here he is throwing sticks into the spokes.  Guy needs to go, now.

Yep.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2024, 07:07:57 PMThe West is dangerously close to a Chamberlain-esque appeasement story with Iran.

Ok first Iran poses zero threat to the West. They only pose a threat to our interests in the Middle East, interests which we are actively working to disentangle ourselves from. Not really a comparable situation. I don't think Iran is going to invade and conquer France and the low countries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2024, 07:07:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2024, 06:44:13 PMNetanyahu really shouldn't have bombed the Iranian embassy. We are trying to keep the whole world from spiraling out of control and here he is throwing sticks into the spokes.  Guy needs to go, now.

I think this is a convenient and dumb take. I think any Israeli leader would have done that. Israel is basically fighting a two front war against Iranian proxies and Iran is shuttling top military leaders around countries like Lebanon and Syria to coordinate with those proxies.

Iran is the party escalating here, by being actively involved in Israel's war. I don't agree Israel was wrong to strike an Iranian military target that was actively working with Hezbollah. I similarly agreed with Trump killing Soleimani.

Treating Iran like they aren't to be trifled with due to fear of "regional conflict" whilst meanwhile letting them increase their bad behaviors is a failed Western strategy that has lead to Iran with 3 powerful and destabilizing proxies in the Middle East, and Iran close to developing a nuclear weapon.

The West is dangerously close to a Chamberlain-esque appeasement story with Iran.
You know that embassies and consulates are off limits.  Assassinating Soleimani was also bad.  We have rules.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

I don't think Iran and Israel have diplomatic relations, so I don't think an embassy of Iran's in a 3rd country being used to participate in an ongoing war is off limits actually.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2024, 06:28:31 PMSeeing reports of Muslims in Toronto celebrating the Iranian strikes on Israel. Islam is a true cancer on the West. I hope its leaders wake up before it is too late—maybe the people will wake them up, since most of us do not want these people in our society.
Saw a video, didn't see viper there.  I think it was suppose to be demanding a ceasefire...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

:lol:

He lives a 1000 km from Toronto.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 13, 2024, 07:55:16 PMI don't think Iran and Israel have diplomatic relations, so I don't think an embassy of Iran's in a 3rd country being used to participate in an ongoing war is off limits actually.

I think this is probably right.  Iran has to explain why the commander of the Quds Force was working out of purportedly civilian consulate. The NYT reported there was a meeting with Palestinian militants at the time of the strike, and the casualty reports from the Syrian side support that. Israel hitting inside Syria is a bit dodgy but the ultimate cause of the murky situation is Syria and Iran's mutual footsie with Hezbollah and allied militants.

Whether it justifiable is separate from the question of whether it was wise for Israel to escalate in a manner tending to widen the conflict. It only reinforces the problem inherent in keeping Bibi in as it is impossible to forget that he personally benefits from a longer and more intractable conflict.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2024, 07:40:15 PMOk first Iran poses zero threat to the West. They only pose a threat to our interests in the Middle East, interests which we are actively working to disentangle ourselves from. Not really a comparable situation. I don't think Iran is going to invade and conquer France and the low countries.

But they can significantly impact shipping and oil/gas supplies. Maybe not to the US, but certainly to Europe.

Josquius

Even if Israel was 100% certain this guy aiding terrorists was working in a consulate, bombing the consulate was still a dumb move.
Instantly destroys Israel being entirely legitimate in the killing and makes Iran the victim.
They should have took more of a PR focussed approach to show Iran were the ones breaking international law and if they really had to bomb something, hit the guy when he was out of the embassy or if the embassy itself was the issue warn about the incoming missile before hand.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Josquius on April 14, 2024, 03:46:00 AMEven if Israel was 100% certain this guy aiding terrorists was working in a consulate, bombing the consulate was still a dumb move.
Instantly destroys Israel being entirely legitimate in the killing and makes Iran the victim.
They should have took more of a PR focussed approach to show Iran were the ones breaking international law and if they really had to bomb something, hit the guy when he was out of the embassy or if the embassy itself was the issue warn about the incoming missile before hand.

If you consider a Quds commander a victim you're probably a lost cause already and would have sided with Iran anyway.

The reaction to the assassination at the hospital in the West Bank is the best example of this. After months of criticizing the IDF for bombing instead of using spec ops, suddenly the usual suspects were all outraged when they actually did use spec ops.

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on April 14, 2024, 04:31:41 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 14, 2024, 03:46:00 AMEven if Israel was 100% certain this guy aiding terrorists was working in a consulate, bombing the consulate was still a dumb move.

If you consider a Quds commander a victim you're probably a lost cause already and would have sided with Iran anyway.

He wasn't the only one in the embassy.
That's the point.

Its not the Israel is always wrong no matter what fringe who they have to win around. It's all the others they've been doing their best to alienate lately. A far more significant group which runs most of the west.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Razgovory

Tamas

I think the sensible Israeli reaction would be "well we have proven Iran can't hurt us, we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming" and do not reply. Then again, I still think Bibi needs indefinite war and crisis to stay in power so there's probably going to be a counter-strike.

At least I hope they use the chance to take out either nuclear facilities or/and drone factories, the latter could benefit the war in Ukraine as well.