News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - July 24, 2024, 08:04:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2024, 07:59:48 AM
QuoteMaybe. You could also say that deciding to rebel on the first vote of the new Government in the Kings Speech is pretty much asking for it and very dick-swingy in its very own way. It's not like this was a u-turn from thr campaign.

This. The door hasn't even closed behind the Tories and they are going against their government already.

EDIT: They didn't really leave Starmer with an option. Suspend them or look weak and open the door for the Corbynites to start pushing.

To be fair I don't think they were really left with an option than to vote the way they did too. Its whats right and what they believe in....as much as the party had tactically decided it wasn't the time.

Cunning SNP tactics to damage Labour or just trying to make themselves look good that happened to have this side effect?
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by Savonarola - July 24, 2024, 08:03:23 AM
RIP John Mayall (British blues musician, best known for his work in Blues Breakers.  Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton, in my opinion, is the greatest British Blues album.)
Off the Record / Re: Refractory Gauls, or the F...
Last post by Duque de Bragança - July 24, 2024, 08:03:10 AM
Quote from: Gups on July 23, 2024, 07:51:55 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2024, 07:24:28 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 22, 2024, 04:23:41 PMSo I hear mega Olympics security restrictions have started in Paris which is basically the 15 minute city conspiracy nonsense made real with needing QR codes to get into different parts of the city?
Gallic conspiracy nuts going off it?

I know I probably should not ask, but what is this 15 minute city conspiracy theory?

QR codes are needed in some parts of the city, along the Seine namely, specially on the inauguration ceremony day, i.e 26th.

Don't. It's linked to the world economic forum conspiracy. The 15 minute city idea is that everyone shoudl be able to access shops, green space, public facilities within a 15 minute walk/bike ride/bus journey. The conspiracy is that the forces of evil are going to stop people travelling outside their designated areas. Jon Ronson did a good episode on it in his podcast.

Yeah, I had heard about the 15 minute city idea, not that it prepared me for this new conspiracy theory.

:frusty: All hail long commutes and long shopping trips, car only!
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Duque de Bragança - July 24, 2024, 08:01:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 05:58:43 AMGood indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

:huh:

MC Solaar is 55. His song that made it into Sex and the City came out in 2001. That's not exactly cutting edge.

Laetitia Casta is a model who was a biggest in the late 90s/early 00s.

MC Solaar is one, if not the only one, literate rapper in France. For the current hip hop generation, he's old however, so no longer a reference, not to mention his lyrics are too complex for them.  :P

Laëtitia Casta also has had cinema roles.
Last post by Tamas - July 24, 2024, 07:59:48 AM
QuoteMaybe. You could also say that deciding to rebel on the first vote of the new Government in the Kings Speech is pretty much asking for it and very dick-swingy in its very own way. It's not like this was a u-turn from thr campaign.

This. The door hasn't even closed behind the Tories and they are going against their government already.

EDIT: They didn't really leave Starmer with an option. Suspend them or look weak and open the door for the Corbynites to start pushing.
Last post by Gups - July 24, 2024, 07:58:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2024, 05:07:42 PMnites continues with Rebecca Long-Bailey and John McDonnell losing the whip.
Yeah. The decision on that strikes me as not great.

It's not a manifesto pledge. From what I've seen (eg from Jess Elgot) the Labour whipping operation was basically sticks only. It feels like it was all to beat up the remaining left again and send the rest of the new MPs a warning not get into the habit of rebelling.

But the policy is bad and no-one thinks it will last this parliament. It's something that even many Tories (including Suella Braverman!) are now saying was a mistake.

Just seems very dick-swingy for the sake of it. It already seems like the worst habits of New Labour. Perhaps relatedly also a sign that in government as well as opposition either Starmer or the people around him are very factional.
[/quote]

Maybe. You could also say that deciding to rebel on the first vote of the new Government in the Kings Speech is pretty much asking for it and very dick-swingy in its very own way. It's not like this was a u-turn from thr campaign.
Off the Record / Re: Hungarian Politics
Last post by Duque de Bragança - July 24, 2024, 07:57:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2024, 03:52:49 AMIt's time for the annual Hungarian conservative far-right mass gathering in Transylvania, where traditionally Orban does a speech with something outrageous enough to dominate public discourse for the rest of the year so he can go back to stealing.

Couple of other speakers from this year's event (the second one is actually a Brit):

Groupies.  :lol:
Off the Record / Re: Hungarian Politics
Last post by HVC - July 24, 2024, 07:21:11 AM
Finally the true fans of van gogh are free to come out and be themselves
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Sheilbh - July 24, 2024, 07:07:27 AM
:lol: :P

"Siri, please show the psychological impact of wanting to beat the Tories for 14 years."

Admirable American optimism that any Democrats can have any type of confidence ever after 2016.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by crazy canuck - July 24, 2024, 07:03:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:28:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 06:24:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 05:58:43 AMGood indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

:huh:

MC Solaar is 55. His song that made it into Sex and the City came out in 2001. That's not exactly cutting edge.

Laetitia Casta is a model who was a biggest in the late 90s/early 00s.

You might be surprised to learn I never watched sex in the city.

And in the late 90s, I was busy being a father of toddlers.

Far out.

You said 'how culturally out of touch we are now' and I was pointing out 'now' is more than two decades ago in this instance.

Cool, but you are missing the point that they were culturally relevant at a time that I would've noticed them because of my age and stage.

Don't forget, you are much younger than most of us here.