News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Songs you don't like to ad...
Last post by grumbler - July 24, 2024, 06:32:23 PM
YMCA
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by grumbler - July 24, 2024, 06:29:04 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 24, 2024, 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2024, 11:14:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 10:52:56 AMYou are of course correct in your legal interpretation, but I'm not so sure the US Supreme Court will care about long recognized legal principles like standing.

It's always a concern that the Republican Party Supreme Court feels no compulsion to follow the law and precedent, but
1.  The case would have to work its way up the chain of District, Circuit, and RPSC before the RPSC could make a ruling.  That would take many months.
2. The RPSC isn't in session anyway, and doesn't reconvene until October 7th.  Even if they considered the case and ruled that same day, all that would happen in the worst case is that they would remand the decision on standing back down to the district court.  Then, there would have to be a trial before the verdict could be reached, and the District Court wouldn't even be able to schedule such a trial before the election.

Hypothetically (because so far there is only an FEC complaint on file), the case would be initiated along with a request for emergency injunctive relief demanding to freeze the funds.  That could receive expedited treatment if put before a sympathetic judge. Depending on the outcome a motion seeking an emergency injunctive order can be obtained outside the Supreme Court term by directing it for the Justice responsible for the judicial circuit where the case is pending.

I agree there doesn't seem like there is a viable procedural or substantive basis for such an order, but if a court were inclined to act, it could be done in time to impact the campaign. As of even a year ago, I would have felt safe saying there is 0 chance of that happening.  After the last Supreme Court term, though, I really don't know what to expect anymore.  There is nothing this Court can do anymore that would surprise me.

It would take three levels of the courts to even rule the same way on standing before the circuit judge could begin to rule on emergency injunctive relief, no?  Then the plaintiff, if granted standing, has to show damage caused by the lack of injunctive relief, no?

I guess that "zero probability" is never off the cards, but the difference between zero and whatever chance there is in this case doesn't seem worthy of detailed exploration.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by grumbler - July 24, 2024, 06:22:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 04:45:42 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 24, 2024, 12:53:36 PMDude. You're like. 100.

1980s not the 1880s - thats Grumbler  :D
Hey!  Don't knock the 1880s.  :mad:   The Gunfight at the OK Corral was a lot more interesting than any gunfight of the 1980s.  Life expectancy was only 39 years, but we liked that because we could inherit while still young enough to enjoy the money.
Off the Record / Re: What does a TRUMP presiden...
Last post by Baron von Schtinkenbutt - July 24, 2024, 06:09:26 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 24, 2024, 12:58:26 PMI do hope out of this the SS gets reformed including receiving a new name which is
1:more accurate to their job.
2:doesn't involve talking about The SS. It's too SSy

(https://youtu.be/anjbOuMiGXY?si=B33Vu-P5u94I-G9K)

If Trump wins that abbreviation might become more appropriate.
Off the Record / Re: What does a TRUMP presiden...
Last post by Sophie Scholl - July 24, 2024, 05:36:03 PM
Between all of the stuff during Trump's term with the Secret Service, especially on January 6th, and now this, it appears sweeping reforms and changes need to come to it and soon.
Off the Record / Re: Facebook Follies of Friend...
Last post by Duque de Bragan├ža - July 24, 2024, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 11:20:40 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 10:50:54 AMI guess olive oil use for thousands of years skipped the 50s?

Well this looks British and I have no doubt the cuisine was in a dire state back then.

Fair point

Following the Roman withdrawal of Britain I guess, despite efforts by Normands.  :hmm:
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by Duque de Bragan├ža - July 24, 2024, 05:16:28 PM
Pitch invasion by Moroccans during the ARG-MOR game, which led to an interruption while the game was at 2-2 following a goal in stoppage play (90 * 16 mib!).'
When the game resumed eventually, VAR so the most late Argentine goal was deemed off-side.

And the Olympics have not started yet, officially.  :lmfao:

1-1 Mali-Israel (Mali scored two goals, as per last Euro fashion :P
2-1 Spain-Uzbekistan
Last post by Admiral Yi - July 24, 2024, 05:14:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2024, 05:13:56 PMNo pasta either, so I guess Italians hadn't braved the damp yet in the 50s

Yeah, that one too.
Last post by HVC - July 24, 2024, 05:13:56 PM
No pasta either, so I guess Italians hadn't braved the damp yet in the 50s
Last post by Admiral Yi - July 24, 2024, 04:51:57 PM
the only one that surprises me is no pizza.