And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous Sports Thread

Started by Liep, December 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

BBC News - Dozens fall ill after Sunderland triathlon, health chiefs confirm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66421422

An event in the triathlon  world series was held locally.
Not too far down the coast has recently been a big scandal with mass crustacean die off then there's the whole national scandal of pollution protections no longer meaning anything post brexit.

Surprise surprise... The water that tested highly positive for e coli has led to a bunch of competitors falling very ill.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Duque de Bragança

Rugby (XV/Union) World Cup started yesterday, for those interested, Brits mostly I guess, so a new thread may not be necessary.  :P

Over here, the self-styled rugby fans forgot to tell us, so we had the beginning of a birthday party in a bar, with a loud sound system pushed too far, so people could not be able to speak to each other.  :lol:

As for the opening ceremony, the ceremony was deemed awful yet saved by the massive booing Zupiter received, just before the game.  :lol:

Regarding the game France-New Zealand game in the SdF (Stade de France), the XV de France impressed by winning 27-13 vs the All Blacks. Even though the Kiwis scored the first try, a penalty kick just after kept suspence with XV de France leading 9-8 by half-time. New Zealand did not improve in the second half, the opposite actually.

The XV de France did miss a conversion so it was not a perfect performance, yet it's obviously an important victory, quite a psychological blow with the first defeat in pool stages for the All Blacks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/09/08/france-v-new-zealand-live-rugby-world-cup-2023-latest-score/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/rugby-world-cup-2023-all-blacks-v-france-new-zealand-handed-first-pool-play-defeat-in-paris/J5IG6545INDX7G3JUL44K5WSIQ/ (paywalled)

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2023, 04:46:32 AMRugby (XV/Union) World Cup started yesterday, for those interested, Brits mostly I guess, so a new thread may not be necessary.  :P

Over here, the self-styled rugby fans forgot to tell us, so we had the beginning of a birthday party in a bar, with a loud sound system pushed too far, so people could not be able to speak to each other.  :lol:

As for the opening ceremony, the ceremony was deemed awful yet saved by the massive booing Zupiter received, just before the game.  :lol:

Regarding the game France-New Zealand game in the SdF (Stade de France), the XV de France impressed by winning 27-13 vs the All Blacks. Even though the Kiwis scored the first try, a penalty kick just after kept suspence with XV de France leading 9-8 by half-time. New Zealand did not improve in the second half, the opposite actually.

The XV de France did miss a conversion so it was not a perfect performance, yet it's obviously an important victory, quite a psychological blow with the first defeat in pool stages for the All Blacks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/09/08/france-v-new-zealand-live-rugby-world-cup-2023-latest-score/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/rugby-world-cup-2023-all-blacks-v-france-new-zealand-handed-first-pool-play-defeat-in-paris/J5IG6545INDX7G3JUL44K5WSIQ/ (paywalled)

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Rugby World Cup

England-Argentina playing now, just saying, just in case.  :P

3-3 for now, with 16 minutes played.

I guess all Brits are watching it.  :D

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2023, 02:25:00 PMRugby World Cup

Probably not, also English/Scottish rugby union is full of posh public people, so not so compelling as football.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2023, 04:13:54 PM

Probably not, also English/Scottish rugby union is full of posh public people, so not so compelling as football.

Bourgeois sport as in France, except in the SW? Why I am not surprised?  :P Sport of ruffians played by gentlemen.  :contract:

The XV de la Rose won by the way, 27-10.

Josquius

Seems France has learned nothing and a very bad thing nearly happened.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/world-rugby-apologise-for-absolutely-horrendous-scenes-before-england-win

Going to a big sporting event in France really is gambling with your life.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

That's more than embarrassing for the Macron régime.
Even under Flanby, things were not as bad cf. Euro 2016, despite some real troubles with real hooligans.

Gups

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2023, 04:19:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2023, 04:13:54 PM

Bourgeois sport as in France, except in the SW? Why I am not surprised?  :P Sport of ruffians played by gentlemen.  :contract:

The XV de la Rose won by the way, 27-10.

The XIV in fact. Pleasantly surprised as England have been terrible for ages now and Argentina have improved a lot.

Very good start to the tournament, which is super open this year with effectively three joint favourites in Ireland, France and S Africa

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gups on September 11, 2023, 06:12:50 AMThe XIV in fact. Pleasantly surprised as England have been terrible for ages now and Argentina have improved a lot.

Very good start to the tournament, which is super open this year with effectively three joint favourites in Ireland, France and S Africa

They were XV at the beginning.  :P The red card does give some extra relevance to the performance, of course.

Gups

What are your hopes for Portugal Duque?

Duque de Bragança

I don't follow rugby to be fair but I know that scoring a try versus Australia would be a symbolic performance, even if probably means getting 50-100 points in the mean time.  :P

I suppose a victory vs Georgia is doable or at least a hard-fought contest. Wales or Fidji are too far ahead.
A significant part of Portuguese players are playing in the French rugby divisions (some Luso-descendants) so they are easier to support than the typical Lisboete bourgeois player.  :P 

crazy canuck

Sucks to be the Jets

News at 11

Edit: never mind turns out they didn't need Rodgers

crazy canuck

And in the basketball World Cup, Germany won! Germany!! And Canada beat the Yanks in the bronze medal game!