Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2018, 03:58:48 PM
Never heard corbynista used to refer to MPs before. Usually means the young very anti brexit Corbyn fanboys

It is used to describe his supporters and MPs that support him definitely are.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Iormlund

It's hard to believe that this is happening in the same country that gave us Yes, Minister, with its marvelous mix of cynicism and insight.

Kind of like the contrast between The West Wing and the Trump administration.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on November 18, 2018, 01:11:40 PM
It's hard to believe that this is happening in the same country that gave us Yes, Minister, with its marvelous mix of cynicism and insight.

Kind of like the contrast between The West Wing and the Trump administration.

There's a trend there, isn't it?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Did they get 48 votes now? Looks like the weakest coup attempt ever.

Are these the same people who believe they could stand up against the EU Commission for a better deal?

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on November 20, 2018, 04:59:37 PM

Are these the same people who believe they could stand up against the EU Commission for a better deal?

Rees-Mogg currently looks very foolish though he says he has not given up that they'll reach the 48 letters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on November 20, 2018, 04:59:37 PM

There's probably another couple of dozen who'll stab her in the back if the tide of events runs the other way, certainly if there's some personal political advance in jumping on a hard brexit challenge.

Whether that's Rees-Mogg or something cooked up Gove's new cabinet clique.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2018, 05:07:21 PM
Rees-Mogg currently looks very foolish

So his reputation is on the upswing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

First obvious sign of EU disunity. France, Netherlands and Denmark want to put more concrete fishing rights into the political declaration, Spain a veto over Gibraltar. Germany has told the commission that Merkel will not attend the Sunday summit unless the deal has been finished before...

Syt

Uhm. Can someone provide context/explanation? :unsure:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2018, 09:00:55 AM
Uhm. Can someone provide context/explanation? :unsure:

A clumsy attempt to make sure the deal goes through as is without further UK fudging, by highlighting their real counter-demands.

Or they want the very, very slime chance May has of pulling this deal off with the UK parliament reduced to zero? :unsure:

Edit:[/i]
Oops, sorry I didn't have images viewable when I replied and I had intented to be replying to Zanza's post.  :Embarrass:

Mr Blooby is a long standing TV 'cultural icon', but I don't want to have to explain him, wiki will no doubt have a page on him.

HVC

Is Mr Herpes the dick shaped clown a kids show thing, or did they just invent him for this segment?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2018, 09:32:59 AM
Is Mr Herpes the dick shaped clown a kids show thing, or did they just invent him for this segment?

I'd guess the people posting the picture are suggesting the stupidity of Brexit and the politics/negotiations can just as well be explained by a plastic mascot as by anyone else?

Perhaps they're alluding to Danny Dyer's contribution to the debate?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/29/twat-danny-dyer-cuts-through-the-brexit-bluster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_Blobby

QuoteMr Blobby is a character featured on Noel Edmonds' Saturday night variety BBC television show Noel's House Party, portrayed by Barry Killerby, and was the brainchild of British comedy writer Charlie Adams, a writer for the show. A bulbous pink figure covered with yellow spots, he has a permanent toothy grin and jiggling eyes. Mr Blobby communicates only by saying the word "blobby" in an electronically altered voice, expressing his moods through tone of voice and repetition. He topped the UK Singles Chart with the 1993 Christmas release "Mr Blobby".