And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Also video from quill here:

https://youtu.be/ZUr5nf3ALCg

The system of hidden leader agendas and how you find out about them passively through trade and embassies sounds great.

mongers

OK Marty you've sold this to me.

But do I need a replacement pc to play it?  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

So far, looks like Civ 5.5

Likely pass.

Solmyr

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2016, 10:40:01 AM
I never played civ 1. :blush:

I'm really not sure on this unstacking cities stuff.....
All improvements on map? Sounds limiting.
But a big improvement.

I hope they get rid of the over the top road maintenance thing.  Just make roads degrade and need a worker touch up now and then.

Never played Civ III.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 29, 2016, 12:49:33 PM
Never played Civ III.
Definitely the worst one of the bunch, IMO.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 29, 2016, 01:01:04 PM
Never played Civ III.

I agree.

I am still partial to Civ II but Civ IV was very good also. VI looks good.  So it is perhaps what someone said about even numbers in this franchise...

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2016, 02:37:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 29, 2016, 01:01:04 PM
Never played Civ III.

I agree.

I am still partial to Civ II but Civ IV was very good also. VI looks good.  So it is perhaps what someone said about even numbers in this franchise...
It's not about even numbers.  Civ V is the best game of the five, by far.  It's just that Civ III was a horrible game, that tried to introduce many new mechanics but did it badly. 

I still remember being forced to ethnically cleanse the cities I captured, by starving them until it almost became a village, because otherwise out of nowhere it would flip back and take all the garrisoned units with it.  And it only took a single foreign citizen to flip the city.  And those borders that constantly ebbed and flowed were loads of fun as well.

garbon

I have had more enjoyment out of 2 and 4 than 5. Perhaps mould was stale for me by then though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I agree with Dguller - no. 5 was the best.

PDH

Civ IV returned the game to very interesting fun - Civ III was too flawed.  Civ II was Civ I on steroids, fulfilling all the promises people wanted after playing the original for 10,000 hours and ruining their lives.  Civ II remains the best for many because of this - it took the game that was inspired by ASCII Empire and made it complete.

However, I find that with all the expansions, Civ V has been the most fun for me since Civ I (nothing can compare to discovering that and almost ruining my graduate school).  I was far more lukewarm to it before the add-ons, but once those came about the game felt more alive than any other since making my Mongol Chariot Army and conquering the world in Civ I.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jaron

4 was best. 5 is crap.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

3 is the weakest of the bunch.  Actually 1 is weak too but back then there wasn't much to compare with it.  It only felt weak in retrospect.  When I played it, it was the best game ever.  2 is 1 with much better graphics and more of everything.  No significant change to the rules though.  Don't fix it if it ain't broken.  3 was an unpolished attempt to improve the game.  The idea of borders was much needed, but the way it was done was annoying.  Capturing cities didn't feel that good because the captured cities were quite useless.  Or even less than useless due to corruption.  4 was what 3 was supposed to be.  For the first time I felt that the AI had improved.  In Civ 1 and 2, the rule was, you kill the best unit in the stack, you kill the entire stack.  4 did away with this rule (could be 3 though, can't remember), and changed the production numbers so that cities could crank out crazy numbers of units.  The result was massive stacks of doom.  5 changed the stacking rules to basically one unit per tile, and introduced hexagons.  It was great too.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on May 29, 2016, 03:50:22 PM
4 was best. 5 is crap.

I really miss the unit stacking, to be honest. It's just not very realistic to me that you can't fit more than one army unit in a 500km radius or whatever. What do they represent, a brigade? Division? Entire army group? Why are they so cheap if that's supposed to represent a huge unit size? I'm cool with limiting the stacking, but what they did with 5 was way over the top.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Actually, I like the end of the "killer stacks of doom" from earlier civs.  Sure, there is no real idea as to what each unit represents, but the fact that there are limited military resources (especially in the crucial period after the initial set up and before the advent of killer artillery) helps to make things more iffy and flexible.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM