Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2015, 11:26:57 AM
Quote from: Siege on December 01, 2015, 11:24:55 AM
The big fight is over CO2, which is nothing more than food for plants, as the culprit of climate change, as if climate has not being always changing, with the ice ages, mini ice ages, warm periods, and so on.

Yes...and why did those climate changes occur I wonder?
Mostly solar activity.
Definitely not because of human action since the industrial revolution only happened 200 years ago.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on December 01, 2015, 01:17:16 PM
The big fight is over CO2, which is nothing more than food for plants, as the culprit of climate change, as if climate has not being always changing, with the ice ages, mini ice ages, warm periods, and so on.

Mostly solar activity.
Definitely not because of human action since the industrial revolution only happened 200 years ago.

How do you know this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Mostly solar activity.

Well duh there were no humans around back then. But how to do you account for volcanic activity being such an important part of climate change in the past if it is solar activity?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 02:44:08 PM

Mostly solar activity.

How do you know this?

Shush Raz, he's read the talking points; maybe some were on bumper stickers too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2015, 04:06:11 PM
Shush Raz, he's read the talking points; maybe some were on bumper stickers too.

If you ask him to explain how he came to his conclusions, that opens the possibility for a critique of evidence and logic which could possibly result in Siege changing his mind.

If you just take a piss on him and his opinions at the beginning, that possibility diminishes.

Razgovory

Well we know the climate was different millions of years ago.  There lived creatures hundreds of millions of years ago that could not live today, like dragon flies the size of your arm or nine foot millipedes.  For those to exist you need a much higher level of oxygen level in the atmosphere for something without lungs to breathe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2015, 01:17:37 AM
I don't get it.

I guess it's saying we should be scared of ISIS instead of global warming.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 03, 2015, 02:29:26 AM
I don't get it.

I guess it's saying we should be scared of ISIS instead of global warming.  :hmm:

Maybe more along the lines of blaming the victim or Obama keeping America defenceless as he pursues his own agenda etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 03, 2015, 02:29:26 AM
I don't get it.

Yeah, I think it is an example of simplistic idiots trying to argue that the US can only deal with a single problem at any time.  I.E. is is standard projection by morons.  I think morons find it funny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 17, 2015, 06:14:52 PM
Since the actual measurements of global temperature didn't show any actual warming the climate fraudsters had to "adjust" the data to comport with their climate models.  Now that people are wondering how the fuck they came up with this very convenient adjustment they are clamming up and refusing to release the process that led to this conclusion, even though they are legally obligated to do so since this is publicly funded.

Well, the actually measured change of temperature is shown below:

I can't believe I missed this doozy before.
Hans presumably pulled this from this fact backgrounder on the NASA page:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page1.php

As the backgrounder explains, global warming from an increase in solar energy output would have the effect of increasing tropospheric and stratospheric temperatures alike (along with the surface).  A greenhouse effect, on the other hand, should increase tropospheric and surface temperature, but *decrease* stratospheric temperatures.  The NASA graph therefore shows that the observed surface warming effect is consistent with warming being driven by greenhouse gas effects and not from a temporary increase in solar output.  (the fact that it is nice and cool up in the stratosphere is fun to know but not useful unless we are plan to live in B-52s).

Of course, the NASA data shows increases in surface temperature and the NASA site explains the evidence for warming.

It doesn't surprise to see the likes of Hans and Lamar Smith accuse scientists of fudging data for political purposes; it reflects how they think, and it is exactly what Hans is doing right here in this thread.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2015, 11:23:09 AM
I don't get it.

Presumably we are all on the verge of being killed on Muslims.

I mean, if we all book a flight to Iraq, hop the border to Syria, and sign on with one of the various militias, our odds are pretty high!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien