Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 19, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
I think it's possible that climate scientists engage in publishing stuff that is then presented with hyperbole that overstates their findings,
To be fair, this happens to all science.  Remember the article a few weeks ago about an alien structure in far away solar system?  The scientists who made the report never mentionned "aliens" in their paper.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

The way I see it, even if fossil fuels are only moderatly damaging, they are still finite.

They are going to run out eventually, and then we will have to come up with something else.

Why not just work on that now?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2015, 10:34:12 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2015, 10:15:17 PM

Pretty sure we are.
oil subsidies + low oil prices discourage research.  These technologies would not be commercially viable in current circumstances.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Hamilcar

The way I see it, even if fossil fuels are only moderatly damaging, they are still finite.

They are going to run out eventually, and then we will have to come up with something else.

If we burn all the (known) remaining carbon, we're super-fucked.

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 22, 2015, 02:48:02 PM

Well yes; even if 'we' end up burning a small percentage of the relatively easy to get to hydrocarbons, say 10-30% we're still going to be in a lot of trouble, well some of us* are that is.

*assuming you've some interest in a diverse range of humanity, if you're only concerned with yourself, your family and your neighbourhood you should be 'fine'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 22, 2015, 02:48:02 PM

Might be good for giant ants though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34915448

Quote2015 likely to be warmest on record says UN weather body

Global average temperatures in 2015 are likely to be the warmest on record, according to the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).

Data until the end of October showed this year's temperatures running "well above" any previous 12 month period.

The researchers say the five year period from 2011 to 2015 was also the warmest on record.

The rise, they state, was due to a combination of a strong El Nino and human-induced global warming.

The WMO said their preliminary estimate, based on data from January to October, showed that the global average surface temperature for 2015 was 0.73 degrees C above the 1961-1990 average.

Their scientists also found that global temperatures were approximately 1 degree C above the 1880-1899 period, mirroring a recent finding by the UK Met Office.

'Bad news'

The record-breaking five year period from 2011 to 2015 was 0.57C above the average for 1961-1990.

The WMO said that levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere reached new highs. In the northern hemisphere, the spring of 2015 saw the three-month global average concentration of CO2 cross the 400 parts per million barrier for the first time.

"The state of the global climate in 2015 will make history for a number of reasons," said WMO secretary-general Michel Jarraud.

"2015 is likely to be the hottest year on record, with ocean surface temperatures at the highest level since measurements began. It is probable that the 1C threshold will be crossed.

"This is all bad news for the planet."

Other researchers agreed that the latest data from the WMO reinforces the view that human emissions of carbon dioxide, from burning fossil fuels, are continuing to heat the Earth beyond natural variability.

"The fingerprint of a warming planet is becoming clearer in nearly every corner of the world," said Dr Ed Hawkins, a climate scientist at the University of Reading.

"Moreover, 2015 is not a one-off, as indicated by the last five years' average also being the warmest on record.

"In the UK, our variable weather means that 2015 will not set any records for warmth, but the longer view shows UK temperatures have risen about 20% faster than the global average. We can expect this faster rate to continue in future."

As well as warming the land, much of the heat has gone into the oceans. The WMO said the waters have been absorbing more than 90% of the energy that has accumulated in the climate system from human emissions of greenhouse gases. The temperature of the tropical Pacific was more than 1C above average, consistent with a strong El Nino.

The WMO said this weather phenomenon has been a factor in pushing this year past previous records. El Nino has gained in strength over the past few months and has been rated as one of the three strongest since 1950.

The researchers said that the impact of an El Nino is typically felt more strongly in the second calendar year, meaning that 2016 is likely to be more strongly influenced by the event than 2015.

The record temperatures of 2015 were being felt in many different parts of the world. China recorded its warmest ever January to October period. For Africa, this year has been the second warmest on record.

Heat waves affected many parts of the world, with India seeing average maximum temperatures over 45C in some areas. There were also extremely hot periods in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and elsewhere.

The WMO also argued that many of the extreme weather events in the past five years, especially those relating to higher temperatures, have had their probabilities substantially increased as a result of human-induced climate change.

The new findings are likely to feature prominently at COP21 in Paris next week, when global political leaders and negotiators will aim to secure a new global deal that would limit emissions of carbon dioxide.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/30/us-climatechange-summit-china-smog-idUSKBN0TJ0DG20151130

QuoteSmog chokes Chinese, Indian capitals as climate talks begin

The capitals of the world's two most populous nations, China and India, were blanketed in hazardous, choking smog on Monday as climate change talks began in Paris, where leaders of both countries are among the participants.

China's capital Beijing maintained an "orange" pollution alert, the second-highest level, on Monday, closing highways, halting or suspending construction and prompting a warning to residents to stay indoors.

The choking pollution was caused by the "unfavourable" weather, the Ministry of Environmental Protection said on Sunday. Emissions in northern China soar over winter as urban heating systems are switched on and low wind speeds have meant that polluted air has not been dispersed.

In New Delhi, the U.S. embassy's monitoring station recorded an air quality index of 372, which puts air pollution levels well into "hazardous" territory. A thick smog blanketed the city and visibility was down to about 200 yards (metres).

Air quality in the city of 16 million is usually bad in winter, when coal fires are lit by the poor to ward off the cold. Traffic fumes, too, are trapped over the city by a temperature inversion and the lack of wind.

However, the government has not raised any alarm over the current air quality and no advisories have been issued to the public. Thirty thousand runners took part in a half marathon at the weekend, when pollution levels were just as high.

In Beijing, a city of 22.5 million, the air quality index in some parts of the city soared to 500, its highest possible level. At levels higher than 300, residents are encouraged to remain indoors, according to government guidelines.

The hazardous air underscores the challenge facing the government as it battles pollution caused by the coal-burning power industry and will raise questions about its ability to clean up its economy at the talks in Paris.

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi are both in Paris and both were scheduled to meet U.S. President Barack Obama on Monday to give momentum to the two-week negotiations.

"WHEN A CHILD IS BORN, WE PLANT A TREE"

Modi sought to highlight India's green credentials in an article for the Financial Times on Monday, writing: "The instinct of our culture is to take a sustainable path to development. When a child is born, we plant a tree."

But at Connaught Place, a city centre landmark in New Delhi, people chided the government for failing to minimise the risks to their health from air pollution.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteSmog chokes Chinese, Indian capitals as climate talks begin

Some guy on the street were inviting people to a climate march in London. Maybe they can force out a few percentage change in emission rules in the UK. THAT will solve this issue, do not worry!

Siege

Smog is not produced by CO2, which is colorless and odorless.

The big fight is over CO2, which is nothing more than food for plants, as the culprit of climate change, as if climate has not being always changing, with the ice ages, mini ice ages, warm periods, and so on.

And Berkut, big oil is donating millions to climate alarmists research, and zero, nothing, to climate realists.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on December 01, 2015, 11:24:55 AM
The big fight is over CO2, which is nothing more than food for plants, as the culprit of climate change, as if climate has not being always changing, with the ice ages, mini ice ages, warm periods, and so on.

Yes...and why did those climate changes occur I wonder?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I hate how once again we've started using "Save the planet" slogan.

The planet will be fine! It doesn't give a shit wether we fuck our climate up or not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2015, 11:28:56 AM
I hate how once again we've started using "Save the planet" slogan.

The planet will be fine! It doesn't give a shit wether we fuck our climate up or not.

Right? At one point the entire planet was buried in ice. The planet didn't give two fucks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Indeed I think it would help driving the point home more if it was "save humanity" or actually to be more correct "save current human civilisation from possible collapse" Then again that slogan needs more understanding.