War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition: Pricing announced.

Started by Syt, July 19, 2009, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2009, 07:42:25 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 20, 2009, 11:19:50 PM
Wow, only $60 for a patch?
:yes: They have discovered that Paradox's method works.  After all, Hearts of Iron was a $50 patch to EU2.  Given inflation, this makes sense.

:huh:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Bluebook

Game will be released tomorrow. Im going to buy it right away.

Anyone interested in a pbem?

Ape

Quote from: Bluebook on July 26, 2009, 03:56:59 AM
Game will be released tomorrow. Im going to buy it right away.

Anyone interested in a pbem?
In a few weeks, sure.... but who the fuck are you?

Syt

I'm intrigued by this, btw. I got WitP furing the last christmas sale. I only scratched the surface and basically put it away because AE seemed to be "just around the corner". But I think I should play some WitP before shelling out 60 or 70 EUR for this one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ape

Downloaded and dived straight into the grand campaing  :D

If you have played Witp many things are similar, but many aren't.

It has a veeeery steep learning curve. But I think I'm at least starting to understand what micromanagement is all about  ;)

First turn I ran a midget sub put a fish into West Virginia at Pearl <_<

Map is b-e-a-utifull :thumbsup:

Most of the allied fighting in december -41 and first half of -42 seems to be with a shoestring. Modern fighters? Hah! Here's some P-26 or Buffalos  :(

OOB, say no more :thumbsup:

Syt, an advice, if you think you want to try it, try it now, instead of learning a lot of stupid stuff playing vanilla witp that you will have to unlearn playing AE.

Drakken

Yep, it is on my to-buy list.

In fact, it is on my to-buy-today list.  :menace:

Syt

Bought it after all. With the previous owner discount it's about the price of an average XBox game. Unfortunately, instead of the game menu I only get a black screen.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2009, 11:04:31 AM
Bought it after all. With the previous owner discount it's about the price of an average XBox game. Unfortunately, instead of the game menu I only get a black screen.

Maybe your expectations were unrealistic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

I was thinking this looked very promising - WitP was such an outstanding game hidden behind a nightmare of an interface, that I would be willing to pay again to see WitP 2, with re-worked interface.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like they did anything at all to deal with the interface problems - in fact, I think they may have actually made it worse, judging from some of the comments I have seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2009, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2009, 11:04:31 AM

Maybe your expectations were unrealistic?
:lmfao: :lmfao:

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 28, 2009, 03:30:52 PM
I was thinking this looked very promising - WitP was such an outstanding game hidden behind a nightmare of an interface, that I would be willing to pay again to see WitP 2, with re-worked interface.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like they did anything at all to deal with the interface problems - in fact, I think they may have actually made it worse, judging from some of the comments I have seen.
I don't believe there is an interface that would do much good.  You either live with the level of micromnagement or you don't.  If you do, the interface is servicable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

From what I read on their forums it seems they improved the interfaces a bit - some back buttons, some info if you right click items and such.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on July 28, 2009, 10:38:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 28, 2009, 03:30:52 PM

I don't believe there is an interface that would do much good.  You either live with the level of micromnagement or you don't.  If you do, the interface is servicable.

I don't agree - there are a lot of things about the WitP interface that are simply terrible, and don't ned to be that way.

Loading units onto transports, for instance, is a nightmare, and if you mess it up slightly, you end up fragmenting units all over the place.

As I remember it, playing WitP, and being good at it, had a nasty level of work involved in simply getting things to do what you wanted them to do, let alone whether or not what you wanted them to do was a good idea or not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 08:16:33 AM
I don't agree - there are a lot of things about the WitP interface that are simply terrible, and don't ned to be that way.

Loading units onto transports, for instance, is a nightmare, and if you mess it up slightly, you end up fragmenting units all over the place.
Loading transports is a pain because of the way the code is written, not because of the interface.  The interface was fine ("I have four transports and want to load these two battalions on them") but the code was bad ("WTF?  Why did the code loade one battalion on three transports, leaving them 25% loaded each, and put just half of the second battalion on the remaining transport before it maxed out?")

QuoteAs I remember it, playing WitP, and being good at it, had a nasty level of work involved in simply getting things to do what you wanted them to do, let alone whether or not what you wanted them to do was a good idea or not.
A modest amount of nastiness, for sure.  The interface problem I had was more with logistics and manufacturing than with anything else.  You had to run side programs to calculate what you produced last turn and would produce in the future.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ape

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 08:16:33 AM

Fixed. You now first have to validate your loading of troops before moving on. Also your troops don't board at once, they have to pack up their stuff, takes usually a day or two.

Like this