News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

The screen for the Galaxy S 2 is wonderful.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2011, 06:39:37 PM
Didn't the company that make those go under? I remember when those were on the shopping channels. OMG! TABLET! 300 DOLLARS!

Oh, yeah.  This was a Woot special.  Original MSRP on these things was like $399 I think.  Woot had 'em for $80 in September :lol:

If I could get Netflix to work on it, it could be a nice ersatz video player.  But I still stumble with the damned touchscreen.  Resistive touchscreens are teh devil!!!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 02, 2012, 11:51:26 PM
Blah, my old iPhone 3G is definitely due for replacement, and I was all prepared to get a 4S...but now I flip-flopping on getting a Galaxy II S Skyrocket instead, and trying out Android. :hmm:

Now I am looking at Windows phones.

I am: indecisive.

The worst part is, the first thing that got me started looking at Windows phones is that it is the only mobile platform with a decent looking Star Trek LCARS theme.*  :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

*so I probably won't actually get one.

Darth Wagtaros

Is your avatar from the CoDominion?
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 30, 2011, 03:17:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 30, 2011, 02:30:36 AM
I like when Ed establishes that he reads as much as Tim does. :P

:lol:

I'm only semi conscious.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Work got me a Razr.  It seems cool so far.
PDH!

fhdz

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 09, 2012, 10:49:52 PM

I love my Windows phone, but I sure don't like Sprint's complete lack of committment to the platform. If you're not on AT&T, don't bother with a Windows phone.
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 01:58:23 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 09, 2012, 10:49:52 PM

I love my Windows phone, but I sure don't like Sprint's complete lack of committment to the platform. If you're not on AT&T, don't bother with a Windows phone.

That is pretty puzzling.  Their excuse is that there is a lack of enthusiasm & buzz about WP7, but part of the carrier's role is to help build that.  From what I've gathered, Sprint is making little effort to even train its staff on WP7 basics. 

Conversely, they promoted the hell out of the Palm Pre when it came out and continued to try to push it even when it was starting to look like WebOS might not survive. 

The difference there was that they had an exclusive deal to sell the Pre for several months.  I have a feeling they're trying to spite MS for giving Verizon the initial leg up on WP7 phones.

That N900 running WP7 that Nokia unveiled last week looks like a pretty kickass phone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Is there any way to rename folders on the home screen?

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on January 22, 2012, 05:55:54 PM
Is there any way to rename folders on the home screen?

I think you need an app to do that unless you're rooted & on a custom ROM that allows it by default.  Any Cut seems to be the most popular option as far as apps go.

MadBurgerMaker

Hey I just put Honeycomb 3.0 on my Nook Color as a little experiment (I hadn't done much with it since the previous version I had on there had been messed up by Nook updates).  Pretty slick.  It looks like the dude isn't updating it anymore though, since its been a 0.4 for a while now.

I might drop it back down to 2.3, since that one is actually finished. E:  Although there is an experimental ICS build available too.  :hmm:  I've never messed around with that version of android.

Arvoreen

You might want to check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/150017-roms-new-dualboot-mirage-cm7-ics-cm9-image-sdcard-1-19-a.html

I got a nook tablet (8g) for my wife for her birthday, and have CM7 booting off the 16g sd card we just picked up from staples for $19.  She is much happier now that she can access full 'Google Play' market, and the whole tablet seems snappier...

MadBurgerMaker

Thanks, man.  I started to do that, but ended up just putting one of the CM9 dailies (one from today) on there by itself instead.  It seems pretty great so far, especially with the CPU max speed turned up to 1.1ghz instead of the regular 800mhz. 

Zanza

Has someone updated their Galaxy S2 to Android 4 already?