News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2011, 10:18:20 AM

Anyways, been watching season 1 of Community. I missed way too many episodes last season.
\

Continued with the April Fool's episode. Chevy Chase's psychic bit was good stuff.

In fact I'm going to borrow it in RL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Four lions. Funny and kinda heartfelt portrayal of geezer-(t)errorists in London-town or som-airs clos' buy. Douchebags wear all sorts of clothes and worship all sorts of sky gods it seems. Occasionally too clever, but mostly this brings the funny.

7.0001 Exploding Mujahadeen Crows outta 10
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Metropia. Creepily animated Euro-mation voiced by Vincent Gallo and others. A bald guy starts hearing voices as he slaves away in a metro dominated Europe of the near future (the Metro goes all over Europe, no one drives or even cycles anymore. If you can get past the creepy animation it's a decent riff on mind control, and marketing scams that don't seem all that far fetched despite the pseudo science involved.) Worth a boo on video.

6.9999999 creepy stalkers who look like a malnourished Moby but sound like a malnourished Vincent Gallo outta 10

Viking

Quote from: Drakken on March 08, 2011, 08:06:49 AM
Was surprised by Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Thought it would be inane hipster crap, and it was. However the main characters were surprisingly attaching... for hipsters, at least. Except Ramona.

Micheal Cera's voice is godawfully annoying, though.

Read the book, it's miles better. The movie is a waste of time. The entire purpose of the entire story is Ramona's coolness. Add to that, why the hell would the uncool Ramona of the movie even look twice at michael cera?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on March 09, 2011, 02:00:43 PM
Read the book, it's miles better. The movie is a waste of time. The entire purpose of the entire story is Ramona's coolness. Add to that, why the hell would the uncool Ramona of the movie even look twice at michael cera?

It's on my list. Do you know if there are any talks about O'Malley making more of this stuff?

Personally, I didn't give a hoot about Ramona in the movie, she seemed like a nothing character to me (but not as bad as the sociopath Bella Swan in Twilight). I rooted for Kim Pine much, much more.

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on March 08, 2011, 08:06:49 AM
Was surprised by Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Thought it would be inane hipster crap, and it was. However the main characters were surprisingly attaching... for hipsters, at least. Except Ramona.

Micheal Cera's voice is godawfully annoying, though.
Eh? That I can remember only the first evil ex was a hipster. Oh, and the arch villain of course.
Agreed on Cera though. Loved the film but he angered me.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Drakken on March 09, 2011, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 09, 2011, 02:00:43 PM

It's on my list. Do you know if there are any talks about O'Malley making more of this stuff?

Personally, I didn't give a hoot about Ramona in the movie, she seemed like a nothing character to me (but not as bad as the sociopath Bella Swan in Twilight). I rooted for Kim Pine much, much more.

Apart from Brandon Routh as evil ex nr 3 (iirc) the movie is a complete waste of time. Read it if you need and then go to your local comic store and BUY it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Doesn't seem to be the type of story that is better in written form.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

The Killing Fields- First time I've seen it. Rather good. Not what I expected either. The synopsis said it was about the American guy trying to get back to Cambodia to find his friend, so I was expecting something Kite Runneresque, told from the outsider perspective. Instead the main character far more seemed to be the Cambodian guy with little seen of the American once he leaves, he only acts as an interlude for how the Cambodian is doing....yet somehow the Cambodian actor got the best supporting actor oscar? WTF? He was the lead.
The only bad point that got me was the skipping forward in the second half- so he's escaping the prison camp, OK...but then the next time we see him he's a servant for the Rouge men in the camp? No mention of recapture and how instead of being punished he's suddenly got a plum job.
Wish the foreign speak was subbed though, feel I missed a lot.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Being Human is awesomeness made televisual. Though I'm very sad we won't be seeing the surprisingly super-buff Robson Green with his kit off any more.

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2011, 05:51:30 AM
The only bad point that got me was the skipping forward in the second half- so he's escaping the prison camp, OK...but then the next time we see him he's a servant for the Rouge men in the camp? No mention of recapture and how instead of being punished he's suddenly got a plum job.

IIRC Pran got lucky that he met a Khmer Rouge official that was older and more weary than the others, and so could see him of some use rather than plain murder him on sight. Also, he got no order from Angkor to be "sent to reeducation", and Pran was good at playing the illiterate peasant that attempted to flee the chaos. Remember that the Khmer Rouge, at least the Old Guard ones, prefered working them to death rather than just stab them with bamboos.

Most murders committed by the Khmer Rouge were made by endoctrined teenagers or young adults, that had grown to be total psychopaths by the regime and were used or recruted as cannon fodder, sentinels or gaolers. You see this in the movie, when the Khmer Rouge official that protected Pran got ignominiously shot by younger officers when he tries to intervene.

BuddhaRhubarb

Unstoppable By Tony Scott and his Siamese twin Denzel Washington, and alt universe Captain Kirk - Chris Pine. Fun Hollywood movie in a good way. hits all the right cliches at the right time. And, to quote the review my boss gave it: "Great Train on Train Action".

7.343 wise olde black men dispensing advice to douchey young white guys outta 10

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on March 10, 2011, 10:55:15 AM
IIRC Pran got lucky that he met a Khmer Rouge official that was older and more weary than the others, and so could see him of some use rather than plain murder him on sight. Also, he got no order from Angkor to be "sent to reeducation", and Pran was good at playing the illiterate peasant that attempted to flee the chaos. Remember that the Khmer Rouge, at least the Old Guard ones, prefered working them to death rather than just stab them with bamboos.

Most murders committed by the Khmer Rouge were made by endoctrined teenagers or young adults, that had grown to be total psychopaths by the regime and were used or recruted as cannon fodder, sentinels or gaolers. You see this in the movie, when the Khmer Rouge official that protected Pran got ignominiously shot by younger officers when he tries to intervene.

Seems that way yeah, really annoying though how they skip over him being recaptured and just go straight from him walking along the boney river to being a servant.

Really weird with the kids being in charge. I need to read more on that.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Kids are fanatics and uncontaminated. They're great for oppression that way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2011, 03:10:18 PM
Really weird with the kids being in charge. I need to read more on that.

Remember that Angkar either worked to death or murdered anyone remotely linked to the old regime: Anyone older enough to have been raised under the French regime, professionals, intellectuals, speaking French or any Western language, or even wearing glasses, was sent to sure death. Those remaining, older peasant adults couldn't keep up with the workload and started die off in droves from forced field labor with ridiculous rations of food. Angkar didn't fuck around: two warnings and you were "sent to reeducation".

Who's remaining? A truckload of children and teenagers. Which were hardened by the regime to be trained murderers or cannon fodder.

QuoteHardened young cadres, many little more than twelve years of age, were enthusiastic accomplices in some of the regime's worst atrocities. Sihanouk, who was kept under virtual house arrest in Phnom Penh between 1976 and 1978, wrote in War and Hope that his youthful guards, having been separated from their families and given a thorough indoctrination, were encouraged to play cruel games involving the torture of animals. Having lost parents, siblings, and friends in the war and lacking the Buddhist values of their elders, the Khmer Rouge youth also lacked the inhibitions that would have dampened their zeal for revolutionary terror.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge_rule_of_Cambodia#Education_and_health