News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 11:41:56 AMI'm surprised.  It's a swing seat, I thought the Republicans would put up with Santos given the 5 vote majority (now 4 until a new election is held, and could be 3 is a D is elected).
Yeah, but Santos is clearly mentally ill and a thief, and was too repugnant for even the GOP to stand behind anymore... though I believe the House GOP leadership still voted against expulsion.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2023, 11:50:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 11:41:56 AMI'm surprised.  It's a swing seat, I thought the Republicans would put up with Santos given the 5 vote majority (now 4 until a new election is held, and could be 3 is a D is elected).
Yeah, but Santos is clearly mentally ill and a thief, and was too repugnant for even the GOP to stand behind anymore... though I believe the House GOP leadership still voted against expulsion.

But they will put up with Trump...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2023, 11:52:04 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2023, 11:50:07 AM

But they will put up with Trump...

Exactly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Trump has a huge, nationwide cult of personality standing behind him which the GOP is scared shitless of.  Santos doesn't.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Another difference is that Trump's awfulness is open and notorious; if people support him it's because that's what they want or are willing to tolerate.  Santos OTOH lied about every aspect of himself to the electorate and the GOP in Suffolk County was in the lead in seeking to unseat him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Giuliani Was Ordered to Pay $148 Million.

This went under the radar?

I don't know if the judge will uphold the money settlement. 

QuoteMr. Giuliani faces additional legal challenges.

Mr. Giuliani is under indictment in Georgia. A local prosecutor brought racketeering charges against him, Mr. Trump and others for their efforts to overturn the election results in Georgia.

He faces a defamation suit from Dominion Voting Systems, one of the largest voting machine vendors in the country. The company accused Mr. Giuliani of spreading lies about the company as part of his efforts to keep Mr. Trump in office.

Mr. Giuliani's former lawyer, Robert J. Costello, is also suing him for $1.3 million in unpaid legal fees. And a former employee, Noelle Dunphy, filed a lawsuit in May, claiming that Mr. Giuliani harassed and assaulted her beginning in 2019. Mr. Giuliani has denied the allegations.

Things are going bad for Trump's friends.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

George Santos - neatly diagnosing and filleting the problems of American politics in 23 seconds:
https://x.com/MikelleStreet/status/1736783934271230386
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2023, 08:33:17 AMGeorge Santos - neatly diagnosing and filleting the problems of American politics in 23 seconds:
https://x.com/MikelleStreet/status/1736783934271230386

Check out Jimmy Kimmel's "Would George Say This?" bits on his show pages.  You can pay Santos to send a video message to a person of your choice with a message of your choice.  Kimmel writes messages and has staffers send them to Santos to read on video.  They get increasingly hilarious (at one point Santos is congratulating a fictional blind niece on getting her driver's license, while also commiserating with her on her painful path to recovery after getting into a severe car crash).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Senator Tommy Tuberville explaining his reasoning for voting no on the Ukrainian aid package:

"Last night's @TuckerCarlson's interview with Putin shows that Russia is open to a peace agreement, while it is DC warmongers who want to prolong the war. That is why I'm voting to stop 60 BILLION MORE of our tax dollars to this conflict,"

Truly an idiot who praises with enthusiastic tones, all centuries but this one and every country but his own American patriot.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I guess someone has to make Carlson feel useful. That interview was otherwise a car crash for all concerned, not just sensible people watching it (or more likely reading about it as we have better things to do).
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on February 14, 2024, 05:16:58 PMSenator Tommy Tuberville

Three words that encapsulate the decline of a once great nation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 14, 2024, 10:10:58 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 14, 2024, 05:16:58 PMSenator Tommy Tuberville

I'm not sure senators from Alabama have often been a source of pride for the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2024, 11:48:07 PM

I'm not sure senators from Alabama have often been a source of pride for the US.

I'll admit I don't know a lot of Alabama Senators, but Richard Shelby, despite his flaws, was no Tommy Tuberville.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2024, 11:59:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2024, 11:48:07 PM

I'll admit I don't know a lot of Alabama Senators, but Richard Shelby, despite his flaws, was no Tommy Tuberville.

I'll raise you this piece of shit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_Claiborne_Clay

And this cretin: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Morgan

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2024, 03:01:03 AMAnd this cretin: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Morgan

John T Morgan is the poster child for the movement to keep traitors from serving in government at any level.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!