News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

How much damage are the Republicans causing to them selves by keeping the speakers chair vacant When the one thing all Americans can probably agree upon is that the American government needs to do something in relation to the Israel Hamas war.

And how will the extreme Republicans fare when they try to pitch shutting down government now?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2023, 08:51:21 AMHow much damage are the Republicans causing to them selves by keeping the speakers chair vacant When the one thing all Americans can probably agree upon is that the American government needs to do something in relation to the Israel Hamas war.

And how will the extreme Republicans fare when they try to pitch shutting down government now?

I don't know that anything the Republicans actually do matters. Their political machine is really good at making sure nothing is their fault.

But we'll see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Gym Jordan has thrown in the towel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

I'm tempted to do a "thank you sir, can I have another" meme, but it seems like in bad taste with Jordan
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kyZxURvvS0

Voice message left for wife of GOP Congressman who voted against Jordan.

HisMajestyBOB

From CNN:
Reporter: We're getting confirmation from multiple sources that several votes are expected to flip away from Jordan after he met with them. They reportedly were upset that Jordan told them to stop complaining to him about death threats because he doesn't control them and isn't organizing them.

Tapper: If only there was something in his background that would suggest he would stand by and look away when bad things were going on.

Reporter: Other supporters of Jordan are starting to eye the exits as well because they don't see a viable path forward when he is losing votes each time they try again.

Tapper: He is just doing worse. But I recognize that Congressman Jordan is not somebody who necessarily respects election results

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

FunkMonk

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 20, 2023, 11:30:00 AMFrom CNN:
Reporter: We're getting confirmation from multiple sources that several votes are expected to flip away from Jordan after he met with them. They reportedly were upset that Jordan told them to stop complaining to him about death threats because he doesn't control them and isn't organizing them.

Tapper: If only there was something in his background that would suggest he would stand by and look away when bad things were going on.

Reporter: Other supporters of Jordan are starting to eye the exits as well because they don't see a viable path forward when he is losing votes each time they try again.

Tapper: He is just doing worse. But I recognize that Congressman Jordan is not somebody who necessarily respects election results

Holy shit :lol:

Tapper from the top rope
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

FunkMonk

QuoteHouse Republicans vote to drop Jim Jordan as speaker nominee
clock iconUpdated just now
Listen

Add to your saved stories
Save
House Republicans, meeting behind closed doors, voted Friday by secret ballot for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) to step aside following a third vote on the House floor in which Jordan fell well short of a majority of the full chamber. The move leaves the Republican conference without a speaker nominee more than two weeks after the ouster of Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.). Lawmakers will return Monday to start the process over again.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/20/house-speaker-vote-live/

Seems he's done now.

New set of clowns next week, I reckon
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

There have been House Speakers of less than sterling character.  But a basic pre-requisite of the job is some basic understanding of politics and the ability to count votes.  Jim Jordan just flunked that test.  What a joke.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

My bet is that they are going to empower the acting speaker and they'll drag this sorry business along until the next congress is installed. And if that congress has a Republican majority with a Democratic president (dunno if that's a possible outcome), it will probably drag on further than that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2023, 01:31:11 PMThere have been House Speakers of less than sterling character.  But a basic pre-requisite of the job is some basic understanding of politics and the ability to count votes.  Jim Jordan just flunked that test.  What a joke.
Sam Rayburn spinning in his grave.

Jordan's lack of ability to actually achieve anything so far, except publicity stunts, should have been an early sign he might not actually be good at politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2023, 01:54:33 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2023, 01:31:11 PMThere have been House Speakers of less than sterling character.  But a basic pre-requisite of the job is some basic understanding of politics and the ability to count votes.  Jim Jordan just flunked that test.  What a joke.
Sam Rayburn spinning in his grave.

Jordan's lack of ability to actually achieve anything so far, except publicity stunts, should have been an early sign he might not actually be good at politics.

The only skill really required in politics is the ability to stay in politics. And in that regard he's better than most people who try.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on October 20, 2023, 01:59:29 PMThe only skill really required in politics is the ability to stay in politics. And in that regard he's better than most people who try.

If recent history has proven anything, it is that truly anyone can win a single House seat.

There is a lot more skill involved in politics than that.  And Jim Jordan doesn't have it.

I've also seen him try to question people in hearings.  Capital University Law School may not have the most exalted standards, but they still want their degree back.
--Joan Robinson